ADVERTISEMENT

Tevon Coney---better than Manti ?

Bodizephax

I've posted how many times?
Feb 24, 2012
Rikers Island (Lifer)
www.gstatic.com
Not so fast my friends ! Tevon has the chance to be one of the Great Irish linebackers this year. But lets see if he shows some Manti leadership in 2018 and make some big plays to help the Irish get to another National Championship game ! Six years has been a long time to wait ! Tevon Coney AllAmerican !! Has a good ring to it !!
What say you Irish fans ??!!!

Reactions: Ara64
no, not even close. jaylon way better too. coney needs to prove he can be an effective three down player.

Reactions: Kelso86
no, not even close. jaylon way better too. coney needs to prove he can be an effective three down player.
Tevon led the Irish defense in tackles and tackles for loss by far and he mostly only played two downs. Just think how many tackles Tevon will have this year when he plays all the time !! Over 110 at least !
Last year when I put up my "who will lead the team in tackles" No one but me said Tevon ! You did not even have Tevon in your top five !! So you need to shut up and watch Tevon play !! With all due respect !! Tevon was all over the field making plays !! Especially against USC !!

To be fair, that was a question about Manti going into his final year too. He was a "3-Down Player" because he was forced to be by our depth chart...as our next ILB was Carlo Calabrese, who offered absolutely nothing in the pass game and was even a 1-2 steps slow in the run game.

But there were major questions about Manti's ability to play the pass prior to his senior year, which was part of why his development that season was soooo impressive.

It would be surprising if Coney develops enough to surpass Manti, but I wouldn't be shocked if that ends up happening.

Heck, Coney only became a full-time starter in Week 7... and still had:
  • 116 tackles
  • 12.5 TFL
  • 3.0 Sacks
Just for reference, all of those are BETTER than Manti's senior season
(though not better than his Junior season, where he had bigger numbers)

Reactions: Bodizephax
To be fair, that was a question about Manti going into his final year too. He was a "3-Down Player" because he was forced to be by our depth chart...as our next ILB was Carlo Calabrese, who offered absolutely nothing in the pass game and was even a 1-2 steps slow in the run game.

But there were major questions about Manti's ability to play the pass prior to his senior year, which was part of why his development that season was soooo impressive.

It would be surprising if Coney develops enough to surpass Manti, but I wouldn't be shocked if that ends up happening.

• 116 tackles
  • 12.5 TFL
  • 3.0 Sacks
stats don't come close to telling the whole story. quality inside linebacker play has many components. teo did have a monster senior season but he was vastly superior to coney in pass coverage. the ball always seemed to find him. coney made great strides last year. to be in the conversation as one of nd's all time best he will need to make even greater improvement this season. having the ability to be a three down player will significantly improve his draft status next year.

I agree with what I think your main point is, that Coney will be a lot better and elite. Also, he doesn't and hasn't gotten the attention he deserves.

But, I think it would be a stretch to expect him to be better than Manti.

I'm gonna be the first to say it... Nyles Morgan kind of wasn't good... lol

stats don't come close to telling the whole story. quality inside linebacker play has many components. teo did have a monster senior season but he was vastly superior to coney in pass coverage. the ball always seemed to find him. coney made great strides last year. to be in the conversation as one of nd's all time best he will need to make even greater improvement this season. having the ability to be a three down player will significantly improve his draft status next year.

I'm not saying that they do, nor that Coney is already better than Teo was as a senior.

But Teo wasn't a strong pass-coverage player prior to his senior year either. He was someone that people (not ND fans) pointed to as being "Overrated" based on his reputation and stats as compared to the actual quality of his play.

Then Teo EXPLODED his game as a senior, so that he was widely recognized as a star player...even though his Tackle/TFL/Sack numbers all went down. He was always around the ball and he really started making plays in the pass game.

Coney would need to have a similar EXPLOSION of his game against the pass, if he wants to be in the conversation with Teo.

Not so fast my friends ! Tevon has the chance to be one of the Great Irish linebackers this year. But lets see if he shows some Manti leadership in 2018 and make some big plays to help the Irish get to another National Championship game ! Six years has been a long time to wait ! Tevon Coney AllAmerican !! Has a good ring to it !!
What say you Irish fans ??!!!
He has the potential. Let's see if he realizes that potential.

Being the QB of the defense entails more than tackling stats, and we’ll see this year if Coney has the leadership skills, command of the defense to make the right calls, and ability to cover; all areas where Manti excelled. That said, Coney’s tackling and run defense was elite last year, and many of his stops were classic dominant stuffs, and just damn fun to watch. I expect another dominant year of run defense and tackling, and a surprisingly good year in cover, and All American accolades to come his way. I don’t think he’ll be in Manti’s hiesman trophy stratosphere, but a spectacular season nonetheless.

Being the QB of the defense entails more than tackling stats, and we’ll see this year if Coney has the leadership skills, command of the defense to make the right calls, and ability to cover; all areas where Manti excelled. That said, Coney’s tackling and run defense was elite last year, and many of his stops were classic dominant stuffs, and just damn fun to watch. I expect another dominant year of run defense and tackling, and a surprisingly good year in cover, and All American accolades to come his way. I don’t think he’ll be in Manti’s hiesman trophy stratosphere, but a spectacular season nonetheless.

My only issue with this is that you're remembering Teo as he was at the end of his career, not how he was entering his senior season. Even more, you (and all of us) have a tendency to romanticize former star players, remembering them even better than they ever were.

Furthermore, as good as Teo was, he wasn't "Defensive Player Winning the Heisman" level good. That was a media thing more than anything else. He wasn't even a 1st Round Draft pick. And he was never the generational talent that Jaylon Smith was.

I really think that Coney is in a somewhat similar place entering his senior season as Teo was when he entered his. Both had MAJOR questions around them regarding their ability to play the pass, but both were proven run stoppers.

It remains to be seen if Coney can make the jump that Teo did for his senior season. It would be HUGE for this team if he can.

My only issue with this is that you're remembering Teo as he was at the end of his career, not how he was entering his senior season. Even more, you (and all of us) have a tendency to romanticize former star players, remembering them even better than they ever were.

Furthermore, as good as Teo was, he wasn't "Defensive Player Winning the Heisman" level good. That was a media thing more than anything else. He wasn't even a 1st Round Draft pick. And he was never the generational talent that Jaylon Smith was.

I really think that Coney is in a somewhat similar place entering his senior season as Teo was when he entered his. Both had MAJOR questions around them regarding their ability to play the pass, but both were proven run stoppers.

It remains to be seen if Coney can make the jump that Teo did for his senior season. It would be HUGE for this team if he can.
neither of them was as fundamentally sound or as sure a tackler as bob crable was.

Seems like you are trying too hard to find something to contrast here. One reference to Manti’s senior season is hardly romanticizing or remembering him for better than he was. He simply had a tremendous rewards dominant senior season followed by a poor NC game, and all the distraction and criticism surrounding his phantom girlfriend. Personally thought his draft selection was more a reflection of concern over the fact he was the butt of jokes throughout the country, and the impact this would have in the locker room, etc... That said, we agree that If Coney makes the same leap as Manti in defending the pass, it will be huge for the ND defense.

Seems like you are trying too hard to find something to contrast here. One reference to Manti’s senior season is hardly romanticizing or remembering him for better than he was. He simply had a tremendous rewards dominant senior season followed by a poor NC game, and all the distraction and criticism surrounding his phantom girlfriend. Personally thought his draft selection was more a reflection of concern over the fact he was the butt of jokes throughout the country, and the impact this would have in the locker room, etc... That said, we agree that If Coney makes the same leap as Manti in defending the pass, it will be huge for the ND defense.

I guess we just disagree about how good Teo actually was prior to his senior season and even during that season itself, as well as what NFL GM's prioritize when drafting players.

That's fine, we can just agree to disagree.

That being said, I really don't see a major difference between where Coney is now and where Teo was prior to his senior season, and a large amount of what difference there is between those 2 I attribute to Teo's experience advantage and increased time spent in the defensive system.

Coney would need to take a major step to keep pace with Teo, because Teo took a major step entering his senior season....specifically in the pass game (for both of them)

I guess we just disagree about how good Teo actually was prior to his senior season and even during that season itself, as well as what NFL GM's prioritize when drafting players.

That's fine, we can just agree to disagree.

That being said, I really don't see a major difference between where Coney is now and where Teo was prior to his senior season, and a large amount of what difference there is between those 2 I attribute to Teo's experience advantage and increased time spent in the defensive system.

Coney would need to take a major step to keep pace with Teo, because Teo took a major step entering his senior season....specifically in the pass game (for both of them)
Well, I never made any judgement of where Manti was prior to his senior year! My judgement is that I don’t expect Coney to have as good as senior year as Manti, but elite and All American worthy nonetheless. And yes, we can just disagree on how good Manti was his senior season.

Well, I never made any judgement of where Manti was prior to his senior year! My judgement is that I don’t expect Coney to have as good as senior year as Manti, but elite and All American worthy nonetheless. And yes, we can just disagree on how good Manti was his senior season.
Teo had a great senior season. it was like someone flipped the switch. he was always above average up until that point but had underperformed in my eyes. he was constantly overrunning plays and taking horrible pursuit angles. i think teo possessed a significantly better skill set than coney does. Tevon is a baller who continues to get better. Lea being hired benefited him greatly and will play another huge part in his development this year. i can see him being a high 2nd rounder next year if continues his improvement.

Teo had a great senior season. it was like someone flipped the switch. he was always above average up until that point but had underperformed in my eyes. he was constantly overrunning plays and taking horrible pursuit angles. i think teo possessed a significantly better skill set than coney does. Tevon is a baller who continues to get better. Lea being hired benefited him greatly and will play another huge part in his development this year. i can see him being a high 2nd rounder next year if continues his improvement.
I think Coney has a chance to be the best ever linebacker to put on an ND uniform . He is lightning fast and hits like a Mack truck . I have been following ND for 60 years and I think Tevon is that good . But let’s wait to this season over to make final pronouncement

I really hope it's Tranquill QB'ing the defense. I do expect a huge year from Tevon. He looked like the best player on defense last year in numerous games. Now he's got one season to move up draft boards and increase his future earnings.

I don't know if there is another player in all of college football that I would want in a dark alley with me in a fight than Tevon. ND must be the bully this year!

Reactions: echowaker
I think Coney has a chance to be the best ever linebacker to put on an ND uniform . He is lightning fast and hits like a Mack truck . I have been following ND for 60 years and I think Tevon is that good . But let’s wait to this season over to make final pronouncement
he has to prove he can be a three down player first. best ever ? long, long way to go to be in that conversation.

• 116 tackles
  • 12.5 TFL
  • 3.0 Sacks

NOBODY questioned Manti's ability to be a 3 down LB at any point during his college career. That wasn't a criticism until his mediocre 40 times during the NFL combine/draft process.

Coney broke out in a big way last year, and is one of the best players heading into the 2018 season. But there's no comparison whatsoever to Manti Te'o who was an all american for the majority of his career; and one of the most decorated players in NDs history.

NOBODY questioned Manti's ability to be a 3 down LB at any point during his college career. That wasn't a criticism until his mediocre 40 times during the NFL combine/draft process.

Coney broke out in a big way last year, and is one of the best players heading into the 2018 season. But there's no comparison whatsoever to Manti Te'o who was an all american for the majority of his career; and one of the most decorated players in NDs history.

Apparently you didn’t follow CFB or ND very well during 2010 or 2011.

There were LOTS of questions about Teo’s competence in the pass game, especially when he was asked to cover WRs in his zone.

It wasn’t until his “breakout year” in 2012 that he silenced questions about his ability to play the pass with his 7 INT season.

I agree that Coney is unlikely to achieve as large of a jump as Teo did entering his senior year...but as of now (prior to their senior years) they are fairly comparable.

There were both explosive, elite run stoppers and tacklers, who struggle in the passing game and looked uncomfortable moving backwards in coverage...despite their solid athleticism.

Stats are misleading when comparing players in different schemes.

Before last year even started analysts explained how the Elko scheme puts LBs in position to have huge numbers.
They listed players who are average who put up huge numbers at LB in his scheme.

They also showed how that was the exact opposite for LBs in BVG’s scheme. Under Elko’s Scheme Jaylon Smith would have put up numbers never seen at ND.

As for Coney, you need to remember something VERY IMPORTANT about last year.
It was showed multiple times in film breakdown by analysts. Elko schemed the first two downs so that Morgan handled all the calls, took on the blockers, and funneled the play towards Coney. It’s like a NG in a 3-4 who takes on the double team every play. No stats, but most important person on the D.

This season Coney won’t have others taking on assignments for him. He is the man. He has to do the dirty work. He can’t run around in circles on pass plays.
For every big play last year, he messed up 2-3 times.

As fans we get excited about the big hit, but don’t follow the importance of each play.
So if Coney blows a guy up for a two yard loss, people get pumped. Then the next play he blows his assignment and they run for 15 & a first down. Then he lights a guy up at the LOS. Then they play action & the RB runs a wheel route for a TD on him. That is the difference. He has to be assignment sound every play.

Reactions: Telx1

Teo was not a 3 down guy early on. he did make big strides his senior year. i thought he was underwhelming early in his career given his hype coming in. bad pursuit angles which caused him to overrun many plays. once he cleaned up his fundamentals he improved significantly as do most players. pedestrian at best as a pro.

Before last year even started analysts explained how the Elko scheme puts LBs in position to have huge numbers.
They listed players who are average who put up huge numbers at LB in his scheme.

They also showed how that was the exact opposite for LBs in BVG’s scheme. Under Elko’s Scheme Jaylon Smith would have put up numbers never seen at ND.

It was showed multiple times in film breakdown by analysts. Elko schemed the first two downs so that Morgan handled all the calls, took on the blockers, and funneled the play towards Coney. It’s like a NG in a 3-4 who takes on the double team every play. No stats, but most important person on the D.

This season Coney won’t have others taking on assignments for him. He is the man. He has to do the dirty work. He can’t run around in circles on pass plays.

As fans we get excited about the big hit, but don’t follow the importance of each play.
So if Coney blows a guy up for a two yard loss, people get pumped. Then the next play he blows his assignment and they run for 15 & a first down. Then he lights a guy up at the LOS. Then they play action & the RB runs a wheel route for a TD on him. That is the difference. He has to be assignment sound every play.

A lot of what you’re saying is true, but you’re overlooking a large number of important points as well.

First of all, towel never played for BVG, so for this comparison his scheme is irrelevant. Diaco’s scheme also emphasized the linebackers, in terms of playmaking, over the defense of line and secondary. So the comparison is reasonably fair.

Furthermore, despite only being a starter for about half the season, coney rocketed past all other linebackers in terms of tackles, tackles for loss, and sacks. He was simply a more explosive, more physical, quicker, and more natural player than our other ILBs... specially in the run game.

However, he was very limited in the past game. As you point out, we use personal groupings and scheme to protect him. Will still be able to do that somewhat in 2018, but not nearly as much.

However, that still makes for a fair comparison to Teo how prior to his senior year, as he also had significant struggles in the passing game during his first three seasons. He simply was not a good passing down linebacker until he was a senior.

It remains to be seen if Coney will be able to make the kind of jump that Teo did in the passing game as a senior, and if you’ll be able to handle making all of the calls as the leader of the defense. Both are very, very fair questions. He’ll have to answer both resoundingly well as a senior, in order to be comparable to the player Teo eventually became.

All that being said, at the same point in their career’s (immediately prior to their senior season), the comparison seems reasonable.

We are overlooking captain Drue! Tevon and Drue have a chance to be the best linebacker duo since when?

A lot of what you’re saying is true, but you’re overlooking a large number of important points as well.

First of all, towel never played for BVG, so for this comparison his scheme is irrelevant. Diaco’s scheme also emphasized the linebackers, in terms of playmaking, over the defense of line and secondary. So the comparison is reasonably fair.

Furthermore, despite only being a starter for about half the season, coney rocketed past all other linebackers in terms of tackles, tackles for loss, and sacks. He was simply a more explosive, more physical, quicker, and more natural player than our other ILBs... specially in the run game.

However, he was very limited in the past game. As you point out, we use personal groupings and scheme to protect him. Will still be able to do that somewhat in 2018, but not nearly as much.

However, that still makes for a fair comparison to Teo how prior to his senior year, as he also had significant struggles in the passing game during his first three seasons. He simply was not a good passing down linebacker until he was a senior.

It remains to be seen if Coney will be able to make the kind of jump that Teo did in the passing game as a senior, and if you’ll be able to handle making all of the calls as the leader of the defense. Both are very, very fair questions. He’ll have to answer both resoundingly well as a senior, in order to be comparable to the player Teo eventually became.

All that being said, at the same point in their career’s (immediately prior to their senior season), the comparison seems reasonable.

I never mentioned Te’o in my post. And that is because in no way can I bring him into a conversation about Coney. They are in different stratosphere’s. Te’o did so much more in leadership, big plays, assignments, discipline, etc...

The difference in the passing game critique was Te’o’s size & ability to keep up in the passing game, not understanding it & being where he was supposed to be. Cindy just flat was lost, so much so he couldn’t even be on the field.

Really good post. I did see many of the missed assignments, but also guilty of getting pumped because it was damn exciting seeing a ND player hit the way he does. He will need to be much improved in assignment discipline this season, and all reports out of Spring is that he is showing significant improvement in this. And I agree with NDIrish....the LB duo of Tevon and Drue has the potential to be really special.

Really good post. I did see many of the missed assignments, but also guilty of getting pumped because it was damn exciting seeing a ND player hit the way he does. He will need to be much improved in assignment discipline this season, and all reports out of Spring is that he is showing significant improvement in this. And I agree with NDIrish....the LB duo of Tevon and Drue has the potential to be really special.

Add to that the potential and maturity of the 2016 Irish Dends coming to bear fruit--this could be a top defense ! Along with a top Dbackfield.

Reactions: Telx1
Add to that the potential and maturity of the 2016 Irish Dends coming to bear fruit--this could be a top defense ! Along with a top Dbackfield.
You’re going to find out September 1 ... new defensive coach is a big unknown.

Tevon led the Irish defense in tackles and tackles for loss by far and he mostly only played two downs. Just think how many tackles Tevon will have this year when he plays all the time !! Over 110 at least !
Last year when I put up my "who will lead the team in tackles" No one but me said Tevon ! You did not even have Tevon in your top five !! So you need to shut up and watch Tevon play !! With all due respect !! Tevon was all over the field making plays !! Especially against USC !!
Right on Bodi!, mr echo thinks he knows everything since hes a "coach". What do you expect from a blockhead who sat the bench at spartyville?

you know nothing about defense, quit pretending.

Hey Bodi, I agree that this defense can be special. I expect the corners to be Love and Pride, but there’s serious competition this year for those two positions, and I am anxious to see who emerges. The same with safeties. The coaches remain high on Elliott, and opine that missed tackles and poor ball tracking were a reflection of being relatively new to the position. Thought Gilman was a lock, but then freshman Griffith is mature beyond his years, and elite talent Allen arrives this summer. We’ve gone from handwringing over a poor DL with no depth, annual bitching about poor DE recruits, and dispair over DB interest in ND, etc... to a talented group of guys with complimentary skills with talented backups in the wings.

I never mentioned Te’o in my post. And that is because in no way can I bring him into a conversation about Coney. They are in different stratosphere’s. Te’o did so much more in leadership, big plays, assignments, discipline, etc...

The difference in the passing game critique was Te’o’s size & ability to keep up in the passing game, not understanding it & being where he was supposed to be. Cindy just flat was lost, so much so he couldn’t even be on the field.
True, but teo's most productive season was easily his last. Coney hasn't had that chance yet to make that same type of leap. Comparisons at similar points of their careers is fair. Teo certainly better but he also had a lot more playing time. If Coney can improve this season as significantly as he did last year he'll certainly have earned the right to be in the conversation.

Coneys "attitude" vs LSU and Fournette was something I have not seen at LB since Stonebreaker was playing. He was an enforcer and an intimidator. Best of all he was not scared and did not shrink in the face of SEC speed and talent.

Now find 10 more guys with that attitude and we can party like its 1988.

Coneys "attitude" vs LSU and Fournette was something I have not seen at LB since Stonebreaker was playing. He was an enforcer and an intimidator. Best of all he was not scared and did not shrink in the face of SEC speed and talent.

Now find 10 more guys with that talent and we can party like its 1988.

fixed.

We’ve had numerous linebackers with as much physical talent as he has, I haven’t turned out to be nearly as effective of players.

Remix of physical talent and other factors, which includes attitude is a primary “other factor”, is critical in finding top level players.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT