ADVERTISEMENT

Teams are really putting on a production for recruiting

I remember when signing day was insane around here! What happened...? und.com is doing it live with interviews and videos. Very happy with this class. Great o-line, great d-line, and some great athletes who can move around... Top ten class. Balis -- get to work!

I remember when signing day was insane around here! What happened...? und.com is doing it live with interviews and videos. Very happy with this class. Great o-line, great d-line, and some great athletes who can move around... Top ten class. Balis -- get to work!
I think the early signees have been locked in for some time and little to no drama about their commitment. Asa Turner for UW is an exception, and could join this class. I think Turner and Foskey are the two that will have our collective attention going forward, each would be a really good addition, with perhaps Foskey being more critical.

Last edited:
Reactions: SIhoosier26
Would really like both of those guys, Telx. Really looking forward to seeing Lacey play! Lacey and Hamilton are two very exciting prospects. But across the board every kid has a chance to develop into a starter. After this season, I wonder who the Finkes and Books are in this class.

Really feels like Kelly has developed a solid recruiting operation -- yeah no 5* but (now that he has Balis) he and his staff identify kids who can develop into 5*. People like Drue and Love and Coney...

"We have some more room..." Kelly (interesting statement!)

Would really like both of those guys, Telx. Really looking forward to seeing Lacey play! Lacey and Hamilton are two very exciting prospects. But across the board every kid has a chance to develop into a starter. After this season, I wonder who the Finkes and Books are in this class.

Really feels like Kelly has developed a solid recruiting operation -- yeah no 5* but (now that he has Balis) he and his staff identify kids who can develop into 5*. People like Drue and Love and Coney...

"We have some more room..." Kelly (interesting statement!)
Agree Stu. This staff seems to be recruiting really well in context of need and building depth. Very complimentary in that regard, and loaded with very good talent. Not sure there is really any separation between guys like Hamilton and Correll and the five stars at their positions, so very happy with the quality of this class.

Course it is hard to see that Georgia once again signs 4 5 star guys!

No, I know, we work on a different model given our academic requirements, location, religious affiliation, etc... We need guys to stay 4/5 years, we depend on Balis (is there a more important hire during the Kelly years?!) getting them ready to play Championship football in their junior/senior/5th years.... It is who we are and Kelly has found his grove recruiting-wise. Boy, it would be nice to win two more games and prove college football can still be college football (re: STUDENT-athletes!)

Reactions: jcswoopnh
I remember when signing day was insane around here! What happened...?

It’s different now. There will be several targets still uncommitted today, and there’s very little “flipping” with this early signing day. Recruiting isn’t over. With the old Feb signing day, that was it. You were done, for better or for worse.

Agree Stu. This staff seems to be recruiting really well in context of need and building depth. Very complimentary in that regard, and loaded with very good talent. Not sure there is really any separation between guys like Hamilton and Correll and the five stars at their positions, so very happy with the quality of this class.

Yes this class is fantastic if ND wants to win 9-10 games and be a big underdog vs one the big boy programs in their bowl game.

I get that people want to feel good about the class or whatever. But lets not put lipstick on a pig.

NDs class is going to finish ranked in the low to mid teens again. I'm sorry but this is just not good enough. Especially after a 12-0 season. Where's the buzz? Where's the ambition on part of this coaching staff to recruit the creme de la creme ?

EVERYTHING has to go right in order for a team with this class quality to just get into the playoff, and then you are double digit underdogs vs teams who simply out talent your roster across the board. Another Ian Book isn't going to just fall out of the sky and disguise a lot of problems in the program again.

This is not good enough for ND.

I'm tired of the team having no stars, being vanilla across the board, being massive underdogs vs elite teams, needing everybody on their first team to stay healthy in order for the team to maintain a chance at being in the playoff.

This class is what you would expect from a program like UCLA or some other mid tier P5 school. Not good enough for one of the historically greatest programs in the country with unlimited deep pockets and the fan support to match.

It's dead on signing day because there's nothing to be excited about. The class is about average for ND. There's no star power. It's the status quo.

Last edited:
Yes this class is fantastic if ND wants to win 9-10 games and be a big underdog vs one the big boy programs in their bowl game.

I get that people want to feel good about the class or whatever. But lets not put lipstick on a pig.

NDs class is going to finish ranked in the low to mid teens again. I'm sorry but this is just not good enough. Especially after a 12-0 season. Where's the buzz? Where's the ambition on part of this coaching staff to recruit the creme de la creme ?

EVERYTHING has to go right in order for a team with this class quality to just get into the playoff, and then you are double digit underdogs vs teams who simply out talent your roster across the board. Another Ian Book isn't going to just fall out of the sky and save your program every few years.

I'm tired of the team having no stars, being vanilla across the board, being massive underdogs vs elite teams, needing everybody on their first team to stay healthy in order for the team to maintain a chance at being in the playoff.

This class is what you would expect from a program like UCLA or some other mid tier P5 school. Not good enough for one of the historically greatest programs in the country with unlimited deep pockets and the fan support to match.

It's dead on signing day because there's nothing to be excited about. The class is about average for ND/simple with no star power. It's the status quo.

Kyle Hamilton is a borderline 5 star and i'm glad he's on board .. but outside of his signing and some nice offensive linemen everything else is super vanilla.

Chase, you do know that Georgia has been in the top ten in recruiting for all but TWO years since 2002 (and those two years they were 11 and 13). Nearly half of those years they have been in the top five. Yet Georgia has...

National Championships -- ZERO
In the finals -- ONCE (and poor ole ND had them on the ropes that season.)

No, Chase -- the sky isn't falling.... 'nice offensive linemen' -- from what I've read we just signed the best offensive line class in the nation. Don't forget Lacey with Hamilton.

I don't mean to be scrooge on christmas or anything .. but im so tired of the media not holding ND accountable.

It doesn't matter if ND signs the #5 class, the #10 class, or the #20 class .. you see the same puff pieces in the media. Everything is always fantastic as it relates to NDs recruiting class. Let's all pretend that recruiting isn't the most important aspect of the future of the program.

"We can finish 15th, 10th, 20th, who cares!?" Let's just celebrate that 20 warm bodies committed to the program regardless of the information available on their relative quality at the time.

I don't know how these media people stay in businesses. They are nothing but cheerleaders. Where's the criticism at?

Last edited:

EVERYTHING has to go right in order for a team with this class quality to just get into the playoff, and then you are double digit underdogs vs teams who simply out talent your roster across the board. Another Ian Book isn't going to just fall out of the sky and disguise a lot of problems in the program again.

It's dead on signing day because there's nothing to be excited about. The class is about average for ND. There's no star power. It's the status quo.

You can’t be better than 12-0 & in the CFP if you are ND.
And since you just want to complain, you say “ND is an underdog.” LOL
If ND wins the National Title you will just say ND has to win it again or they aren’t legit.

I mean yeah, I would much rather be USC or LSU & have top classes & lose to ND.

Recruiting rankings >>>> wins. Everyone knows this!!!! LOL

It’s different now. There will be several targets still uncommitted today, and there’s very little “flipping” with this early signing day. Recruiting isn’t over. With the old Feb signing day, that was it. You were done, for better or for worse.

It was also the off-season and only one thing to focus on.

Also we seem to hear the same thing year after year in re 5*s, so I barely hear it.

Chase, we all know your mantra about ND recruiting and how piss poor average we are, with no raw talent on offense to compliment Book. And yet, you also wrote:

If NDhas the Ian Book they had in October (super mobile/running the read option to perfection/ON TOP OF completing 75% of his passes and producing a league leading passer efficiency rating) ND will be able to beat anybody. Even Alabama.

Consistent?

Especially when 3 years from now with the exception of Chase who will have it pinned to his lapel no one will remember it.

I think there are a few things that stand out:
1) Early signing period. This takes alot of the drama away as guys dont get that late push from coaches and guys they play w/ at all star games. Guys like Turner I think would've flipped in the old days but now UW has a chance to still recruit him going forward.
2) BK figuring out what works at ND more. Early on and especially after landing Tuitt, Ishaq and Lynch he got greedy and went after the big fish which got us burned. I think he's figured out who fits ND and who fits his system. Example being Gunner Kiel. That always felt like a square peg in a round hole.
3) ND is able to give out offers earlier. when i first started following this they wouldnt offer until after their JR year due to academics. Now they give out offers to Sophs. I think that lets guys know earlier what they need to do to get in and helps us recruit kids and gain interest for longer to avoid late cold feet issues.
4) ND expanding EE. It started w/ 3 just 12 years ago. Until the last couple years it was never over 5. This year half the class will EE so if someone is committed to the point of EE they arent going to waiver 95% of the time.

You can’t be better than 12-0 & in the CFP if you are ND.
And since you just want to complain, you say “ND is an underdog.” LOL
If ND wins the National Title you will just say ND has to win it again or they aren’t legit.

I mean yeah, I would much rather be USC or LSU & have top classes & lose to ND.

Recruiting rankings >>>> wins. Everyone knows this!!!! LOL

No I want Florida State classes over the last 5 years

Oh wait a minute......

Reactions: hvillebill
No, I know, we work on a different model given our academic requirements, location, religious affiliation, etc... We need guys to stay 4/5 years, we depend on Balis (is there a more important hire during the Kelly years?!) getting them ready to play Championship football in their junior/senior/5th years.... It is who we are and Kelly has found his grove recruiting-wise. Boy, it would be nice to win two more games and prove college football can still be college football (re: STUDENT-athletes!)

Great post and a good explanation on how you can skin a cat and win a Natty differently than Bama, Clemson, UGA, OSU & OU.

All the sky is falling BS from all these wanbabe faux College Football Scouting Directors, is just absurd hogwash and a total waste of time. Any moron can go on Rivals and Scout and do 4th grade math. No need to come on here and bloviate and pontificate about the obvious.

Last edited:
Great post and a good explanation on how you can skin a cat and win a Natty differently than Bama, Clemson, UGA, OSU & OU.

All the sky is falling BS from all these wanbabe faux College Football Scouting Directors, is just absurd hogwash and a total waste of time. Any moron can go on Rivals and Scout and do 4th grade math. No need to come on here and bloviate and pontificate about the obvious.
Them are big words...

And that would accomplish what?

Educating your audience, being a credible source of information, and being intellectually honest. Isn't that what analysts/media people are paid to do?

Look, i've been very critical of the ND beat/reporters/journalists/analysts but they are way too cozy with ND in exchange for their press passes/access. I don't know why because it seems like everything they publish has to be approved/signed off by ND anyway.

There are endless rules on what they can ask, what they can talk about with the public, etc. So having press passes/access doesn't really provide much of a value to their product. But i digress.

It seems like everything they publish is censored. They sugarcoat most of their criticism about the program, they help ND spread their own propaganda (systemically). They ask softball questions, their analysis is full of hack writing and lazy cliches, and they are gradually turning into nothing more than an extension of NDs PR people/marketing wing.

I think Pete Sampson is one of the best analysts covering ND at the moment, but that isn't really saying anything because i find his coverage/analysis lacking as well. But even he's been hired away by The Athletic and doing less and less coverage at Irish Illustrated.

Basically this type of thing happens this day and age in a lot of industries. Companies are very good at sucking the credibility out of the people who are paid to hold them accountable with the public.

There's a reason why the 'analysis' on the free board is better than the analysis you get on the premium board of this very site. Guys like IIO are way better at the job than the people being paid to do it full time are.

Last edited:
Educating your audience, being a credible source of information, and being intellectually honest. Isn't that what analysts/media people are paid to do?

Look, i've been very critical of the ND beat/reporters/journalists/analysts but they are way too cozy with ND in exchange for their press passes/access. I don't know why because it seems like everything they publish has to be approved/signed off by ND anyway.

There are endless rules on what they can ask, what they can talk about with the public, etc. So having press passes/access doesn't really provide much of a value to their product. But i digress.

It seems like everything they publish is censored. They sugarcoat most of their criticism about the program, they help ND spread their own propaganda (systemically). They ask softball questions, their analysis is full of hack writing and lazy cliches, and they are gradually turning into nothing more than an extension of NDs PR people/marketing wing.

I think Pete Sampson is one of the best analysts covering ND at the moment, but that isn't really saying anything because i find his coverage/analysis lacking as well. But even he's been hired away by The Athletic and doing less and less coverage at Irish Illustrated.

Basically this type of thing happens this day and age in a lot of industries. Companies are very good at sucking the credibility out of the people who are paid to hold them accountable with the public.

There's a reason why the 'analysis' on the free board is better than the analysis you get on the premium board of this very site. Guys like IIO are way better at the job than the people being paid to do it full time are.
I fail to see how my life as a fan would be improved if the media acted as you wish they would

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT