ADVERTISEMENT

Taebron Bennie-Powell - Commits - Welcome aboard!

Does Bennie Powell play safety??
Has not played safety, expected to this year.

Good for him

Very confusing though, his camp looked awful at ND, and he looks too slow, stiff hips for safety on film.

he played like our rover last year.

3 Star.....for you negative Nancy's out there. Welcome aboard. Brauntae Johnson also expected this week.
This one really should be questioned. I'm all for 3 stars with potential but I don't see it. He hasn't played safety yet and is not really a great athlete comparatively speaking . Tight hips too. The kid can play down hill and tackles pretty well.
Not one top 10 team would take this kid. I hope I'm wrong

This one is a head scratcher. Hopefully it turns out okay
Well, from what I have read, he has been playing out of position -- maybe the coaches saw something during the camp period that none of us did -- with him playing safety this fall (what appears to be his natural position) -- maybe something will come out of it.

There is a pattern here. A couple of 3 stars this cycle are new to their positions, but they have the measurables of being a good athlete. This is extremely risky business or shear genius.

Reactions: 1Redrum
There is a pattern here. A couple of 3 stars this cycle are new to their positions, but they have the measurables of being a good athlete. This is extremely risky business or shear genius.
I just watched a recent extensive interview of Marcus Freeman. I'll side here with the head coach.

Last edited:
Reactions: IrishMike409
I love some of those kids. Some are studs

This one I just don't see

Hope I'm wrong

Well, from what I have read, he has been playing out of position -- maybe the coaches saw something during the camp period that none of us did -- with him playing safety this fall (what appears to be his natural position) -- maybe something will come out of it.
But his nd camp video is as bad as I’ve seen for someone we took

Reactions: Golson5
This recruit doesn’t have the athleticism traits you mention

I’ll anchor to Driskell’s take:

We needed 3 Safeties in 24. TBP was the 3rd take. Land Johnson, and we’re suddenly good with Johnson, Urlacher, and TBP.

I’m good. Don’t need nor expect him to be Kyle Hamilton.

We needed 3 Safeties in 24. TBP was the 3rd take. Land Johnson, and we’re suddenly good with Johnson, Urlacher, and TBP.

Did not read after the first sentence, literally.

That 3 is light on talent and outside of Tae, guys who can cover on the backend. The other 2 are more come forward alley type guys.

Oleary needs to do better. We still should try to get a 4th guy

That 3 is light on talent and outside of Tae, guys who can cover on the backend. The other 2 are more come forward alley type guys.

Oleary needs to do better. We still should try to get a 4th guy
Maybe they see TBP as a potential Rover?

Why’d they offer? I think we’re all missing the reason.

Maybe they see TBP as a potential Rover?

Why’d they offer? I think we’re all missing the reason.

There is an article on The Athletic site that talks about TBP's recruitment. Apparently he was highly recommended by his HS coach, who has some history with Marcus Freeman and has picked up on some diamonds in the rough before, including LB Ivan Pace, Jr., who was lightly recruited out of HS but became a unanimous AA and was named AAC Defensive POY. So MF trusts the coach's judgment. TBP played rover in HS, but they apparently see him projecting as a safety, with great potential upside once he gets some coaching:

“He’s got tremendous range when it comes to the ball in the air as a middle field safety,” Huls said. “But if you’re playing Cover Four, he can run the alley and hit. He’s a big kid. When he gets to college and has got position coaches with him nonstop, is watching film, really gets specialization that you don’t get at the high school level, who knows what his potential could be.”

There is an article on The Athletic site that talks about TBP's recruitment. Apparently he was highly recommended by his HS coach, who has some history with Marcus Freeman and has picked up on some diamonds in the rough before, including LB Ivan Pace, Jr., who was lightly recruited out of HS but became a unanimous AA and was named AAC Defensive POY. So MF trusts the coach's judgment. TBP played rover in HS, but they apparently see him projecting as a safety, with great potential upside once he gets some coaching:

“He’s got tremendous range when it comes to the ball in the air as a middle field safety,” Huls said. “But if you’re playing Cover Four, he can run the alley and hit. He’s a big kid. When he gets to college and has got position coaches with him nonstop, is watching film, really gets specialization that you don’t get at the high school level, who knows what his potential could be.”
Thanks for sharing. This is good stuff.

He's not top 1000 right now. He also didnt perform well at the camp
I get it, but I’m not gonna lose sleep over this.

Freeman is on fire, on the recruiting trail. He’s not in a place where he’s gotta reach for kids. We offered the kid, and he accepted. Ideal? No. But I can’t sit here and say it’s going to have this incredibly negative impact on the program. The staff clearly saw something. Let’s see how this looks in 24 months.

Reactions: Kelso86

Freeman is on fire, on the recruiting trail. He’s not in a place where he’s gotta reach for kids. We offered the kid, and he accepted. Ideal? No. But I can’t sit here and say it’s going to have this incredibly negative impact on the program. The staff clearly saw something. Let’s see how this looks in 24 months.
It wont have a negative impact on the program. It's only 1 kid.

But it's absolutely a reach. They didn't want this to happen. They just got turned down by all their top guys

Or how about 39 months when he is a true junior in college. There are 85 guys on scholarship, and given how Notre Dame has recruited in 21-22-23, I have 0.0 problem with this scholarship.

Or how about 39 months when he is a true junior in college. There are 85 guys on scholarship, and given how Notre Dame has recruited in 21-22-23, I have 0.0 problem with this scholarship.
We've recruited safety worse than any other position on the team

But it's absolutely a reach. They didn't want this to happen. They just got turned down by all their top guys
This is not an overstatement. They literally whiffed on their top 15. It's a desperation pick. ND needed a body which is why this kid was offered. No sugar coating this

There were 15 offers ahead of Tae? Thought he was offered super early but need some admissions support.

This recruit doesn’t have the athleticism traits you mention
So far this off-season, he’s playing faster,” Huls stated. "He’s more sure about what is being asked of him. That freak athleticism is really shining through.” His head coach who sees him in practice everyday begs to differ. He was not playing safety this because Munich and the other safety went to OSU

Agree. 39 months, even better.

This guy is tough, a hitter, and physical. Freeman clearly trusts his coach. I have no concerns here.

Let’s see how this looks in 39 months.

So far this off-season, he’s playing faster,” Huls stated. "He’s more sure about what is being asked of him. That freak athleticism is really shining through.” His head coach who sees him in practice everyday begs to differ. He was not playing safety this because Munich and the other safety went to OSU
He was at NDs camp and there is video for you to watch if you would like. He is not a freak athlete

Me, you, and Driskell are the only guys who like this. Now you and Driskell have something in common. Build off of this 😎

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT