ADVERTISEMENT

Sunshine pumpers and ND Admin Haters…get in here and weigh in on Eric’s comments.

Irish Runt

I've posted how many times?
Gold Member
Aug 6, 2002
I was reading the most recent chat transcript from Eric and I’ll post the entire Question and Answer I’m using as I don’t want to feel like I’m cherry picking but I think Eric did a good job of talking about some of the frustrations of the fan base have as it relates to ND admin. I don’t know if it’s the President of the university or the BOT or the AD’s become worn down, but I think Eric boys the mail on the head with at least my perceived frustrations as a ND football fan. What say you?

Tim from Kansas City: Eric, Thanks for your many years of insightful coverage of ND football. Your thoroughness and humility shine through and are much appreciated. It is my understanding that in the waning years of the Lou Holtz era that he was undercut by administration as he was viewed as too much of an icon. 1. Do you feel that is accurate and 2. Could that history bear on concerns of whether Coach Freeman gets the support he needs in terms of staff, facilities, NIL, etc to have a reasonable chance of fielding a championship level squad?

Eric Hansen:
Thanks, Tim. Any time a coach deals with an athletic director regime change, there's a risk the relationship won't be as strong as it was with the AD who hired him. When Dick Rosenthal replaced Gene Corrigan, there were no issues. When Mike Wadsworth replaced Rosenthal, there were huge issues. And VP Father Beauchamp was in lock step with Rosenthal. I don't know that he was viewed as too much of an icon, but those two sides knocked heads on a lot of issues. And when Lou pondered leaving, they didn't push, but they held the door open. But projecting that to Marcus' situation, I don't think is congruent. Yes, Notre Dame's mission combined with sometimes clinging to the past for no good reason, is always going to make the job a challenge. Coaches and ADs are going to have to fight for things. Brian Kelly spent 12 years at ND doing that. And the fight will have to continue as college football around ND changes and evolves. The administration is at a critical juncture because of so many seismic changes recently.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News