ADVERTISEMENT

Summer “Practice”

Telx1

I've posted how many times?
May 13, 2012
Can someone in the know explain what the ND football players do during their informal practices in the summer? Are they structured? Who organizes? Daily? Press allowed? I know each player has weight training assignments from staff, but frankly in the dark as to what takes place on the field.

Reactions: THUNDERSTRUCK111
Can someone in the know explain what the ND football players do during their informal practices in the summer? Are they structured? Who organizes? Daily? Press allowed? I know each player has weight training assignments from staff, but frankly in the dark as to what takes place on the field.
I don't believe they have "practice" in the format you are thinking. I don't believe the coaches can have that kind of contact with the kids (outside of the S&C Staff). Now, I believe they will have "camp" days coming up (or, may have had them already) where the coaches can have access to them. I don't believe there is much "on-field" practice at this point.

But the summer sessions are more geared to weight training/agility drills and getting ready for fall camp -- which, should be on the horizon soon.

Back in Lou's day he brought them all to that academy. There was NO football.

I'd bet that MF is closer to Lou than BK on this but who knows.

Back in Lou's day he brought them all to that academy. There was NO football.

I'd bet that MF is closer to Lou than BK on this but who knows.
Holtz took the 95 and 96 teams to Culver for training camp. Yes, lots of football was going on. Heck, even Rocknes teams used the facilities at Culver Academy.

Holtz took the 95 and 96 teams to Culver for training camp. Yes, lots of football was going on. Heck, even Rocknes teams used the facilities at Culver Academy.
When I spoke with Lou, he told me different.

And his players confirmed it to me.

But go on.

When I spoke with Lou, he told me different.

And his players confirmed it to me.

But go on.
So you're saying that in 95 and 96 when Holtz took his teams to Culver in August that NO football was on the schedule ? I know Lou is getting long in the tooth but c'mon. Lots of articles out there reporting on their practices there those years.

Reactions: Golson5
So you're saying that in 95 and 96 when Holtz took his teams to Culver in August that NO football was on the schedule ? I know Lou is getting long in the tooth but c'mon. Lots of articles out there reporting on their practices there those years.
In fact, they were emphatic that NO football was allowed.

This was when Lou was coaching at ND.

I think it was primarily the heat and humidity that kept football to a minimum. Games start soon and perhaps they worried about tiring them out. Also, and I don't know if this remains true, but I think they are limited in the number of days or practices they are allowed.

That said, if anyone ever gets the opportunity to go to ND and hang with the players and coaches, I recommend it highly.

What was I doing there? I don't even remember myself. But it was hella fun.

I know some on the board will respond that it would suck and they would hate it. That's this board for you.

If you get the chance, jump at it. It likely won't come again...

Last edited:
Kudos to you for understanding anything there.

"In fact, they were emphatic that NO football was allowed"

I would tend to disagree with that statement.

"Kelly isn't the first Irish coach to use Culver's facilities. The schools have a relationship that dates to the Knute Rockne days. Rockne and former Culver Military Academy coach Bob Peck were teammates on the professional Massillon Tigers in 1917, and the two helped each other throughout their respective careers; Peck let Rockne use Culver for his first coaching school in 1922, and Rockne gave a dedication speech for the Culver Recreation Building in 1924 and a pep talk to the Culver Eagles football team in 1930. Lou Holtz also brought his Irish teams down U.S. 31 for practices in 1995 and 1996."

I don't believe they have "practice" in the format you are thinking. I don't believe the coaches can have that kind of contact with the kids (outside of the S&C Staff). Now, I believe they will have "camp" days coming up (or, may have had them already) where the coaches can have access to them. I don't believe there is much "on-field" practice at this point.

But the summer sessions are more geared to weight training/agility drills and getting ready for fall camp -- which, should be on the horizon soon.
Thanks Kelso,
I was under the impression that the captains organized some form of daily practice. QB’s throwing to receivers running routes per our playbook, for example…and DBs defending, etc…. I know coaches cannot be directly involved, but thought there was some form of organized practice by the players. Apparently not. My mistake.

Thanks Kelso,
I was under the impression that the captains organized some form of daily practice. QB’s throwing to receivers running routes per our playbook, for example…and DBs defending, etc…. I know coaches cannot be directly involved, but thought there was some form of organized practice by the players. Apparently not. My mistake.
Tex -- I would imagine there may be some of what you described as well -- you just never hear about it. Mainly all we hear right now is about the S&C portion and how everyone is looking.

Can't wait for fall practice to commence -- you can begin to glean information better.

Thanks Kelso,
I figured they did some 7 on 7 on their own. Know my nephew participated in 7 on 7 practice a couple nights a week during the summer before official HS football practice began.

I suspect there is semi organized running and runnuing the steps in the stadium. For winter conditioning ther would be one assistant coach in attendance while that was going on.

In fact, they were emphatic that NO football was allowed.

If no football was allowed, that helps explain why the teams were not very good those years because they definitely went to Culver for training camp.

Reactions: Kelso86
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT