ADVERTISEMENT

Football Some Defensive Coordinator Notes

MikeSinger

Recruiting Insider
Staff
Mar 7, 2013
- There have been several names floated around, but the two that I'm hearing the most consistently are current defensive line coach Mike Elston and Cincinnati defensive coordinator Marcus Freeman.

- Freeman would be a big catch for Notre Dame, but what I had heard was that he was unlikely to leave Cinci head coach Luke Fickell, who he's very close with, unless it's for a head coach position. However, Freeman is taking a close look at LSU's and Notre Dame's defensive coordinator openings -- probably other openings too -- and it looks like he's interviewing with multiple programs this week. If Freeman sees Notre Dame as his best next step forward in his career, then there's a strong chance he becomes the next Irish defensive coordinator, and he would also serve as linebackers coach.

- If it's Elston as defensive coordinator -- which is probably the betting favorite to happen -- then Notre Dame would still need to make a linebackers coach hire. Is this where someone like former Michigan defensive coordinator Don Brown could fit in? BlueandGold.com has heard from multiple sources that there's some interest in Brown. If not Brown, then Notre Dame could promote defensive analyst Nick Lezynski to linebackers coach. Lezynski could also be in the mix for a spot on Vanderbilt's staff with Clark Lea.

- As far as Mike Elko, I'm not ruling it out, but I would be surprised if he ends up returning to Notre Dame as the defensive coordinator.

- There hasn't been much Terry Joseph buzz for the DC opening. Remember, Football Scoop reported that Joseph was a possibility for an opening at LSU, where Joseph has his roots.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News