ADVERTISEMENT

Solid Season for ND

IrishBlessings

ND Expert
Jun 25, 2013
Very solid 11-2 season for ND. Tough loss at GA that we had a chance to win. It’s too bad we laid an egg vs Michigan, but overall a very solid season.

These type of seasons will help tremendously w recruiting.

Too finish in the top 10 is good and makes ND a more potential landing spot for big time recruits

Go ND !

Very solid 11-2 season for ND. Tough loss at GA that we had a chance to win. It’s too bad we laid an egg vs Michigan, but overall a very solid season.

These type of seasons will help tremendously w recruiting.

Too finish in the top 10 is good and makes ND a more potential landing spot for big time recruits

Go ND !

I agree. Very solid season. The loss to Michigan completely ruined it for some people, but not me. I expected the loss at Michigan. Maybe not by the point spread, but the loss none-the-less. I talked about it in the week leading up to the game. ND almost never wins there. Not just under Kelly either. Ann Arbor has been a miserable place for ND tonplay historically.

The Georgia loss actually bothered me more. Not because the kids didn't play hard, but because they were a few plays of better execution away from beating a highly ranked southern power, at their place... And sending a message tonall of college football that ND can compete with and beat those teams. Would have been great for recruiting. Michigan was shitty, but Georgia was a missed opportunity, IMO.

Regardless, 11-2 in a "down season" after 12-1 and a trip to the playoffs in 2019 and is a nice stretch of football!

I agree. Very solid season. The loss to Michigan completely ruined it for some people, but not me. I expected the loss at Michigan. Maybe not by the point spread, but the loss none-the-less. I talked about it in the week leading up to the game. ND almost never wins there. Not just under Kelly either. Ann Arbor has been a miserable place for ND tonplay historically.

The Georgia loss actually bothered me more. Not because the kids didn't play hard, but because they were a few plays of better execution away from beating a highly ranked southern power, at their place... And sending a message tonall of college football that ND can compete with and beat those teams. Would have been great for recruiting. Michigan was shitty, but Georgia was a missed opportunity, IMO.

Regardless, 11-2 in a "down season" after 12-1 and a trip to the playoffs in 2019 and is a nice stretch of football!
I agree.... I re-watched the Georgia game to confirm my initial take away.... and that was that ND should of won the game and that Georgia didn't look that good. We had a chance to 'steal' a big win. Before the season I thought Georgia would win it all, after the ND game I didnt think they were all that impressive.....

The Georgia loss is still a loss. There is no asterisk that accompanies the "L" to clarify it as an almost. There comes a time that these need to start turning into wins. The Michigan game will linger for a long time. It's not like this deer in headlights type game has never happened under BK before. It's on him to change this perception. It's not on fans to make excuses for it. Does BK permeate this anxiety during practice week for these type games that seeps itself into the minds of the players? It was a good season and the kids bounced back nicely. I'm very proud of them. Gonna miss #10. I think we took Chris for granted sometimes. A Domer to the bone he is. We can never say that he half assed it out there.

I agree.... I re-watched the Georgia game to confirm my initial take away.... and that was that ND should of won the game and that Georgia didn't look that good. We had a chance to 'steal' a big win. Before the season I thought Georgia would win it all, after the ND game I didnt think they were all that impressive.....

That one was on Ian. Chip Long was extremely frustrated with him in that game because he did had time to throw to guys in the seems, for what would have been big games... When you play an opponent like that you need your QB to make big plays. He just came up short against a very good defense on the road.

Reactions: nemeth#5
That one was on Ian. Chip Long was extremely frustrated with him in that game because he did had time to throw to guys in the seems, for what would have been big games... When you play an opponent like that you need your QB to make big plays. He just came up short against a very good defense on the road.
Not disagreeing about Book missing many opportunities because of his reluctance or fear to throw to guys in the seams, his reluctance or fear to throw before receivers make their breaks on routes, his reluctance or fear to throw over the defense, etc... That said, I actually thought This loss was on the coaches more than Ian. Thought we came out in the second half playing not to lose rather than to win. If we had played the whole half like we played the last series, especially Book, I like to think we would have pulled off the upset. Like you, the Georgia loss bothers me more than the Michigan loss in the rear view mirror because it was a lost opportunity, but as the games were being played, the ass kicking we got from Michigan on yet another big stage pissed me off a whole lot more.
Now that the season is ended with time to reflect, I’d be interested to read your thoughts on Ian and the extent of his improvement this year. For my part, I think he has shown more confidence in making throws across the middle and the occasional deep ball, and he has shown improved pocket presence, and he has become a dual threat QB again, more like his pre Pitt injury last season. Most of this improvement has been evident over the last five games, against pretty weak defenses. I don’t see him as a top 5 QB, but a hell of a lot better than his ranking of 28. My optimism for the potential for further improvement is grounded in believing his reluctance or fear to make the above referenced throws is something that can be overcome with growing confidence, which he is showing. That said, I think Ian will always have poor pocket presence against elite defenses that apply pressure up front, and I think he will continue to miss wide open opportunities for lack of field vision and timely reads. Your thoughts?

It’s unacceptable. Ohio State has no problem winning in Ann Arbor.

It’s unacceptable. Ohio State has no problem winning in Ann Arbor.

Notre Dame is like 4-11 in Ann Arbor dating back to 1980. That is a shitty place for ND to play.

Ohio State is an infinitely better program than Notre Dame is and has been for 20+ years. Since 2000 they've won 2 national championships and in 8 out of 19 seasons over that stretch they lost 0 or 1 game.

Reactions: echowaker
Notre Dame is like 4-11 in Ann Arbor dating back to 1980. That is a shitty place for ND to play.

Ohio State is an infinitely better program than Notre Dame is and has been for 20+ years. Since 2000 they've won 2 national championships and in 8 out of 19 seasons over that stretch they lost 0 or 1 game.
This is why we have to get better. It’s unacceptable to not get better.

I think people are overlooking the overall macro performance of the team.
A near loss to USC and Virginia Tech that are both really poor teams by their standard.
The final score to Georgia was much closer than the game actually looked, especially once Georgia found their stride in the 2nd half. That's why despite there only being a 6 point difference on the score, Georgia came away with a much better F/+ rating than did ND from that game. ND benefited from a special teams turnover and outside of that final ian book TD drive, ND didn't really move the ball on Georgia that game.
The blowout to Michigan didn't help things but it wasn't some crazy surprise that many people suggested or thought it was.

ND beat really bad teams on the schedule handily .. but their best win all season might be their 20+ point win vs Iowa State in their bowl game last weekend.

Anyway I just wanted to remphasize the point that you need to evaluate the team based on their 12+ game performance not cherry picking a bad loss or a dominant victory but there are dozens of drives and hundreds of plays happening over the course of the season that all provide evidence/data on the quality of the football team.

I'd probably clump this season in behind NDs 2011 & 2017 seasons...somewhere at the bottom of the 2nd tier (behind 2012, 2015, 2018 seasons which would be in the first tier.).

Last edited:
It's also worth noting that ND has finally matched their first 3-year stretch under Brian Kelly (2010-2012) these past 3 years (2017-2019) but it's really close .. i'll make a post on this once we get another F/+ update with NDs final ranking for the 2019 season.

Totally agree about Georgia. Book played scared for the first half of the season. Seemed he was trying to be someone he isn't. Once he started running a bit, he seemed to loosen up. He's not one of the top guys -- I'm thinking TL and JB...

Question: can Book in his 5th year be the experienced QB and leader that gets us over the hump vs. the big boys? He'll never be a TL but can he do enough to beat those guys. Is there any model for this?

It's also worth noting that ND has finally matched their first 3-year stretch under Brian Kelly (2010-2012) these past 3 years (2017-2019) but it's really close .. i'll make a post on this once we get another F/+ update with NDs final ranking for the 2019 season.
you can go ahead and not make another post on F/+..... we all know how it will go.

Reactions: NDlb46
No one cares

Reactions: echowaker
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT