ADVERTISEMENT

So happy for Chicago

ndnd

Posts Like A Champion
Gold Member
Aug 29, 2003
Went to ND in the mid sixties during the era of Ara but saw how my Chicago class mates loved the Cubs and the Bears . So in my heart I was routing for them to break the 100 plus year curse . Spent many great times in Chicargo and love the people there .
The curse wasn't easy to break took rain delay extra innings and seven games . Cleveland fought hard but destiny was against them but also a great city and many at ND
Congrats to the Midwest beginning to dominate at least three sports if you add college football . Thanks for the memories !!!!

I generally do not like the Cubs (Cincinnati Reds fan) but I am truly happy for there fans. However the way the Cubs fans treated Bartman over the last 15 or so years is/was terrible. Congrats Chicago, I think you city need last night.

The pressure is really on the Cubs now. They'll be expected to win the World Series every 108 years now.;):D

The Cubs never suffered through a curse, but a lot of bad baseball. Speaking as a Red Sox fan I saw Babe Ruth running around in the outfield laughing as our players gave away several championship moments. When you sell the greatest baseball in history for 100,000 dollars, then they earned every miserable moment the team endured from 1918 to 2004. I did shed a few tears as I thought of Harry Caray. Harry, the Cubbies finally broke through and won one for You!!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curse_of_the_Bambino

What an idiot!
https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/...th-for-cash/muYGoMdAzCl8WlRHK2LumI/story.html

Last edited:
Ara: as an old timer and a very long time Cubs / White Sox fan, attending many games at Wrigley and Comiskey, watching it all unfold on WGN-TV for all those years, I think that Jack Brickhouse is the forgotten man in all this hoopla. Harry seems to get the love from fans and media alike, but Jack Brickhouse was actually the Cubs TV guy for 33 years before he retired in '81. Most of those years were brutal. Some were good. Jack called no hitters, perfect games, and Ernie Banks 500th. "Hey Hey" was the Brickhouse trademark. Cub fans seem to forget that Harry was the TV guy for the hated Cardinals for 25 years before he was fired. He was in the Cubs booth for 17 years. There is plenty of room for both Harry and Jack in this Cubs lovefest, but my childhood memories are definitely with Jack and his TV booth partner, Vince Lloyd. On a side note, I'm hoping the TV networks stop showing celebs in the crowd. We get it. They have the money, connections, private jets, and fame to get them seats to all the important games.

Reactions: dagimpper1
Toby, I wasn't a baseball fan until our 7th teacher let us watch the 1967 World Series. My classmates were pulling for the Cardinals so I pulled for Boston. I was hooked after that series. I've been a Sox fan ever since. It was nice seeing the Cubs win and it made me think of Harry. Thanks for telling me about Mr. Brickhouse and the Cubs. The only time I ever saw the Cubs was on NBC's game of the week growing up. I did see a lot of the Cardinal games scheduled in the TV Guide, but I never watched them. I hate the Cardinals. I've always thought of the Cubs and Red Sox as related through long suffering. It's just nice to see the Cub fans so happy. They deserve it!

Yeah, So happy for Chicago. They had it so rough with all those Bulls and Blackhawk championships and even the White Sox won it a few years ago. Now here in Philly, outside of the Phillies in 08, we could use a championship or 2.

Ara: as an old timer and a very long time Cubs / White Sox fan, attending many games at Wrigley and Comiskey, watching it all unfold on WGN-TV for all those years, I think that Jack Brickhouse is the forgotten man in all this hoopla. Harry seems to get the love from fans and media alike, but Jack Brickhouse was actually the Cubs TV guy for 33 years before he retired in '81. Most of those years were brutal. Some were good. Jack called no hitters, perfect games, and Ernie Banks 500th. "Hey Hey" was the Brickhouse trademark. Cub fans seem to forget that Harry was the TV guy for the hated Cardinals for 25 years before he was fired. He was in the Cubs booth for 17 years. There is plenty of room for both Harry and Jack in this Cubs lovefest, but my childhood memories are definitely with Jack and his TV booth partner, Vince Lloyd. On a side note, I'm hoping the TV networks stop showing celebs in the crowd. We get it. They have the money, connections, private jets, and fame to get them seats to all the important games.
I was more the Jack Brickhouse fan. He was mister Cub to me growing up in the 70s. HC covered the White Sox JB the Cubs.

Ole Jack was honored at today's parade and celebration. He was a great one also. He's wasn't as flamboyant and funny as Harry but he was the voice of theCubs for a lot of great years!
It all sunk in today watching the Cubs speak at the celebration. They understood the Cub culture and the fans loyalty despite the many bleak years. It's strange how I became a Cub fan because I really don't remember when and how it came about, it just did. Being loyal all these years have paid off before now with some great moments, both at Wrigley Field and on WGN, but nothing tops the Cubs becoming World Series Champions! It sure is fun!:)

Police estimate 5 mil at the parade today. Great weather. Good thing about the rally in Grant Park is Bill Murray was nowhere to be seen.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT