ADVERTISEMENT

Smash Mouth Football

irishluvr23

I've posted how many times?
Nov 13, 2005
Anybody else miss this brand of football? When I think of this I think of being 10 years old watching the Notre Dame game on a black and white tv in my room or on floor in my family room on the big color tv 19 inches or so. Hearing the voice of the announcer and hearing them talk about the size difference between to ND O-Line and whoever they were playing's D-line. With that announcer saying the massive difference would eventually wear down the other team in the 4th quarter. I remember big play action pass plays setting the tone for the hard running RB's to pound the other team behind the big olines and eventually watching the other team wilt under the pressure of the Irish offense. It wasn't exciting football but it was fantastic football. Then came the run and shoot Air Correal (sp) with San Diego and all the brash football from Florida. The last great running teams OU, Nebraska, and the Irish died at that point. Thrown on the trash heap because they were boring and didn't score enough points in spectacular fashion! Well personally I would love to see that type football played once again. I still don't think it's out of date. I believe Harbaugh will win with it at Michigan and I would really love for the Irish to adopt some form of smash mouth football. I'm so intrigued by the offensive line recruits the Irish have coming on board and I don't know if there's a better group being recruited consistently anywhere else in the country. Think of the Irish landing a Derrick Henry type back to go along with that beastly O-line. Wow what fun that would be to watch. I'm tired of throwing the ball every down and I would love to see the Irish take the will to win out of another team like I remember from those years so long ago. Does anyone else miss this stuff or am I the only old fart who thinks football was more fun when teams whipped the other guys physically?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News