ADVERTISEMENT

Should Hamilton shut it down

Dec 29, 2005
I was talking with some friends and we discussed this topic at length tonight.

I don’t believe Kyle will shut it down but I can’t say I’d blame him if he did. After looking at about 5-6 various draft boards, Kyle is projected from #2 to the lowest projection at #8.

We can clearly see as ND fans the huge difference his presence on the field makes. He covers so much field and is incredible in help coverage, that conceals even more warts in the secondary then I think we even realized. This team isn’t 7-1 without him.

Obviously, I hope he heals up and finishes out the season but I’d understand if he didn’t. I used to get pissed when the rare CFB player shut it down for the draft/NFL, after Jaylon Smith’s injury, I’m much more aware of how much these young men can lose in money and endorsements.

Reactions: Zorich 88
I hate to say it but yeah, probably. His draft stock is already up there and this team is no longer competing for a title after the Cincy loss.

I don’t believe Kyle will shut it down but I can’t say I’d blame him if he did. After looking at about 5-6 various draft boards, Kyle is projected from #2 to the lowest projection at #8.

We can clearly see as ND fans the huge difference his presence on the field makes. He covers so much field and is incredible in help coverage, that conceals even more warts in the secondary then I think we even realized. This team isn’t 7-1 without him.

Obviously, I hope he heals up and finishes out the season but I’d understand if he didn’t. I used to get pissed when the rare CFB player shut it down for the draft/NFL, after Jaylon Smith’s injury, I’m much more aware of how much these young men can lose in money and endorsements.
No.

I will admit, I have never been in Hamilton's position. But man playing football is a gift. I personally can't understand passing up on any opportunity to play with your brothers and win some games. That to me would out-weigh any financial situation. Especially since Hamilton will never get this chance again. If money is that important, you'll make the money one way or another.

Reactions: SouthFloridaIrish

Isn’t that how you get hurt ?

I was discussing this with my family. He’s already a top five draft pick. Some mocks have him going as high as number three. Not sure his draft stock could really improve.

Notre Dame is really going to struggle to make the playoff. In my opinion their already out. ND’s lack of conference championship game hurts them. Gotta figure Bama and Georgia both make it, Oklahoma has a strong chance, that leaves Cincy, who of course beat ND, the Big 10 winner, Oregon is still alive.

I’d be surprised if KY came back and I would NOT blame him one bit if he didn’t

No. He needs to show the nfl that the injury didn’t change his play.

So was Jaylon Smith.
Fortunately for ND, Kyle Hamilton has character, integrity and does not live his life like a coward. Every single football player who competes at any level can have their careers end on a single snap. FYI Jaylon Smith was badly injured in a Bowl Game.
But he still ended up drafted in the 2nd round, became a starter and has made millions of dollars playing professional football. Furthermore, Jaylon Smith has said, if he had to do it all over again, he’d still play in Fiesta Bowl. And it’s that attitude and character that made his rehabilitation possible. Don’t presume everyone is low integrity, selfish coward, looking out for #1. When #14 is ready to go, #14 will be on the field. Because that’s what leaders do, they lead. Not hide and play it safe on the bench.

It will probably depend on the extent of the injury. If he’s not 100%, then he might be wise to sit. At 100%, I think he’ll play. He seems to be a super competitive kid.

Absolutely not, unless the medical team says so. What does it say about a player who voluntarily turns his back on his teammates? Thankfully, KH doesn't strike me is that guy.

No. He needs to show the nfl that the injury didn’t change his play.
Plus he has to show he is not injury prone which would hurt his draft status . Kelly might want to sub him out more in games look under control to reduce injury risk to him

I think there’s also at least some thought toward next year at this point. You don’t want Buchner’s first meaningful snaps to be at The Shoe.

Kyle Pitts was drafted 4th overall last year with $32 million guaranteed. Anything less than 100% he shuts it down. If he falls into the 4th spot in the 2nd round because of injury the contract is $8,700,000 and not all guaranteed.

Reactions: IrishMike409
It’s a shame if it happens. I can see why he would but it could have some ripple effects.

I know a handful of players have done this recently. However, it was not when their teams only had 1 loss. It usually occurs when a team ends up in a meaningless bowl game.

For Hamilton to pull the plug now, with only 1 loss and a chance at a NYD bowl, is not a good sign for ND.

The whole notion of players shutting it down to protect their draft status doesn’t sit well with me as I think players should feel an obligation to their fellow players and see the season through. I may not like it, but I can at least understand the consideration if we were 3-5 and Kelly and staff were starting to see the games as prep for next year, and inserting players accordingly. But we’re 7-1 and looking Like a top ten team this year, and possibly top five, with a glimmer of hope for the playoffs, and a damn good shot at playing a really good team in a Bowl six game. I fully expect Hamilton to come back and be a big part of this push, and I think he should.

I love Hamilton. He’s elite, awesome, I can’t say enough good things. That said….this ND should absolutely end up 11-1 without him.

Stay focused, show up ready to play, and this team wins the next 4.

No

Plus he has to show he is not injury prone which would hurt his draft status . Kelly might want to sub him out more in games look under control to reduce injury risk to him
I don’t see any good reason why he’d be at an increased risk for severe injury. His injury is minor and likely puts him at 0 increased risk for anything serious like MCL or ACL. The injury described is something I have had before. While aggravating, it is not season ending nor is it dangerous. At least it wasn’t described to me as such by trainers when I had it in college wrestling. In wrestling you use knees much more often than in football. I think Kyle should sit out the easy games until he feels 100% but needs to get his butt back in there against stiff competition, unless he has a medically sound reason not to do so.

I don’t get the feeling that Kyle likes the sidelines. I think he’ll suit up.

Fascinating discussion. The cynic and statistician in me says sit out. Memories of Jaylon Smith come to mind.

I side with the players here. They train hard, sacrifice, and build a brand bringing in money to Notre Dame. If it's the final season and you get an injury making another one more likely, I say it's your call.

One part of me says durability is part of the game. Can't keep hiding either, especially in the NFL. But get that payday...and then go from there.

I'm in my mid-50s. Across the decades, I've come to appreciate all athletes. Especially the younger ones who gamble and don't make it. A lot take opportunity costs.

Notre Dame is to be always saluted at least for a real quality education and network for those who won't play Sundays. Not to change this subject, but go easy on the institutions and coaches who deal with this when so many others don't have to. Irish players have a future.

Again, to be topical, I support Hamilton in whatever he wants here.

he will play the last three games. Brown will get more snaps as he's earned it. That will decrease his load. If they are injecting him with PRP that generally means soft tissue. No structural damage.

If he’s healthy and decides to shut it down I’ll be extremely disappointed. He doesn’t need to be on the sidelines at that point charting plays. I don’t want to see him jumping up and down cheering on players looking like he’s totally fine. Just head out of town to the training facility and get ready for the draft. And let’s be honest… we won’t know if he’s 100% or not. He could be perfectly healthy and ND will make up some horse shit that he’s not quite ready and nursing the injury blah blah blah.

Completely up to him. I understand both sides. Not sure I could be healthy and not playing. But, then again I was never looking at $$$$$$$$ like he has lined up. The insurance packages obviously help de risk the situation.

Like others have said, the team can finish strong this year and have a really good year, but probably not playoff.

We will probably find out in 10 days. If he doesn't play vs virginia (game we need him the most until bowl if armstrong plays) then i doubt he plays again in an ND uniform.

The way Navy goes after knees I sure as hell hope he doesn’t play this weekend.

If the Irish keep moving up in the polls and the playoffs are in sight (as I believe will happen) then Kyle Hamilton will most definately play !
Since he is a team captain I believe he will play anyway once he is healthy.

*** I hate the NFL---I wish college football could bid on the players to keep them around another year. I am glad for Kyle that he will become rich in the NFL but it is sad that I don't enjoy the NFL so I won't get to see him play anymore.

*** I do watch a game here or there but the league has beome to much of a flag football pass happy league. I miss the old steelers and raiders of the seventies and the bears and Giants, cowboys, redskins, and niners of the 80's.
Watching LT in the 80's was special. Today he wouldn't be half as exciting.

If you’ll shut it down at the end of your college career you’ll shut it down at the end of your contract year.

not a good trait to portray !

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT