ADVERTISEMENT

Short Yardage

NDNEIL

Posts Like A Champion
Aug 6, 2007
PtZXtaq_d.jpg
Bryan had a really good point today on the podcast about our RB's in short yardage getting low and getting the first down. This is something I'm hoping gets addressed.

We used to preach to our RB's your goal is to get the Yard to Go. My boss and head coach would always say, "if you still have the ball, you can still score."

Here is a classic example of what Bryan was saying. Here Jones has an alley.

Eichenberg and Banks are pulling here and Banks has a poor effort or Jones could have broke this outside for an easy 5 yard gain, instead he has to cut it inside.

Tremble is cracking down on the LB and frankly takes a bad angle. If he makes that block, it's likely Jones is off to the races for a big gain. Game of inches, right?

What Bryan was saying and what Jones and the RB's have to have a better feel for what you can see in this photo (hopefully it comes through).

Jones can see the LB's face. At that moment he has to go into 'fight for whatever I can get' mode. Which in this instance would be to get low and get behind Liam. The 1st down marker was at the 49 and was easily obtainable.

Instead Jones stayed upright and tried to cut back off of Liam and ended up getting stuffed by the LB. On first and ten, I'm ok with that read. Not on 3rd and 2.

You frankly aren't going to execute on every play, but in football, you don't need the perfect play everytime.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News