ADVERTISEMENT

Settlement paves the way for schools to pay athletes directly.

NDinNJ

I've posted how many times?
Nov 23, 2018
Reactions: chaseball
By Northern California judges I assume they’re referring to the Ninth Circuit Court.

I see more rather than less chaos.

Will players be deemed employees, entitled to medical and retirement plan benefits.

Will they unionize ?

Will players only sign one year contracts or multi your contracts.
Multi-year contracts could preclude players from going to the NFL early.

Will the contracts mandate playing in postseason bowls?

Managing the salary cap will require a new position, a highly qualified, highly paid administrator.

Will managing injuries take on a new level of scrutiny.

Is this really good for the game?

As long as NIL comes directly from boosters, money from the Us will be a stipend. The exception will be Title IX as the women were probably not, on average, getting large amounts of booster money.

As long as NIL comes directly from boosters, money from the Us will be a stipend. The exception will be Title IX as the women were probably not, on average, getting large amounts of booster money.
I believe that NIL money is a separate issue

If Stanford and Harvard decided to prioritize football with $$, they could **** the entire system. But they won’t, bc smart people wouldn’t waste $ on poor investments. TAMU is the best example to date. Their coach is already fired. Their #1 class is mostly gone.

Reactions: NDinNJ
I must offer sjb an apology...he replied to a comment I made in another thread, labelling Notre Dame's program "semi-professional," based on the money distributed to student-athletes in the program. He stated his disagreement with my post, commenting that Notre Dame was a "professional" program.
Based on the agreement reported here, and actions of the Power Five going forward, I must admit, sjb, I was wrong and you are right...Notre Dame IS a professional sports franchise, just like the Kansas City Chiefs, the New York Yankees, the Dallas Stars, the Ohio State University Buckeyes...well, you get the picture...

'Course the difference between the last name on that list and the others is that tOSU is made up of professional "student-athletes" as opposed to just professional athletes...someone needs to tell the NCAA about Major Junior Hockey in Canada...no requirement to go to class, but tuition paid for those that wish to...and you don't play for the Western University Mustangs, you play for the London Knights...much more hones

By Northern California judges I assume they’re referring to the Ninth Circuit Court.

Will players be deemed employees, entitled to medical and retirement plan benefits.

Will they unionize ?

Managing the salary cap will require a new position, a highly qualified, highly paid administrator.

Anytime there is progress being made in any type of institution you got these types of folks who do the "whataboutism" dance

It's not that complicated there's billions of dollars going around in this industry and it's about down time that the players earned a piece of the pie

Anytime there is progress being made in any type of institution you got these types of folks who do the "whataboutism" dance

It's not that complicated there's billions of dollars going around in this industry and it's about down time that the players earned a piece of the pie
It’s so simple that Notre Dame and the other schools will probably have to hire an executive and pay him about $1 million a year just to manage the salary cap.

It is that complicated

Why don’t you address each one of the points I raised and let’s see how uncomplicated you find it

Go back to interscholastic sports, no pay! No scholarships, must maintain academic standings!
I will watch and follow!

Bring back college football, we already have the NFL and CFL! As stands now I see myself with little college football interest! Recently, the only interest even here is human interest observing fan behavior or misbehavior? Plus, acquaintances.

Reactions: HDK
I can't say that I overly care; as I've gotten older I just care about sports less and less. If anything I watch certain games out of habit and as for results/etc, it just doesn't really matter to me.

I think one of the main noticeable things that will come of this as time goes on; college kids better start getting used to being booed by their own fans more. Now that they'll be getting paid, the expectation level is going to raise. Quickly.

Reactions: HDK
The push is to devalue education already in many municipalities , city , state and federal, you no longer need a degree to move into higher positions , whatever that may be. If that trend continues along with paying athletes while in college, there is going to be a cause and effect. Scholarships were way to get an education and set yourself up for life after playing your chosen sport was done. For 95 % , that was at the end of college. What’s going to happen now when this new ruling takes effect. Well in ten years we will see. Short term for athletes it seems like a win for them. Long term ? Well I guess it all depends on the athlete and whether or not they have a desire to get a degree

Billions going around, yet MOST of the programs are NOT profitable. There are actually only a few schools athletic programs that show an annual profit, and of those the profit is in the millions not billions.

Top line revenue is for losers, bottom line revenue for winners. You seem to fail at grasping that concept.

Last edited:
Reactions: BGI User 756
I can't say that I overly care; as I've gotten older I just care about sports less and less. If anything I watch certain games out of habit and as for results/etc, it just doesn't really matter to me.

I think one of the main noticeable things that will come of this as time goes on; college kids better start getting used to being booed by their own fans more. Now that they'll be getting paid, the expectation level is going to raise. Quickly.
That’s a very interesting point.

I think that getting paid will not be the only criteria by which they are viewed,, I believe there will be a growing trend toward viewing the players, not as fellow students, but as mercenaries.

Interesting times

If Stanford and Harvard decided to prioritize football with $$, they could **** the entire system. But they won’t, bc smart people wouldn’t waste $ on poor investments. TAMU is the best example to date. Their coach is already fired. Their #1 class is mostly gone.
HYS donors are the standard bearers of terrible investment. The most money spent to produce the worst students.

Reactions: Terry Jillery

^ you prove again that you have no depth outside of criticism.

The push is to devalue education already in many municipalities , city , state and federal, you no longer need a degree to move into higher positions , whatever that may be. If that trend continues along with paying athletes while in college, there is going to be a cause and effect. Scholarships were way to get an education and set yourself up for life after playing your chosen sport was done. For 95 % , that was at the end of college. What’s going to happen now when this new ruling takes effect. Well in ten years we will see. Short term for athletes it seems like a win for them. Long term ? Well I guess it all depends on the athlete and whether or not they have a desire to get a degree
Boom.

Will they unionize ?

Also…what becomes of their tax status? As employees now, how are lodging and other expenses seen? Will they be seen as a taxable benefits?

Will they unionize ?

Also…what becomes of their tax status? As employees now, how are lodging and other expenses seen? Will they be seen as a taxable benefits?
Good questions

I suspect that they’ll be given a special exemption on the collateral benefits

Reactions: BGI User 756
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT