ADVERTISEMENT

Seasons Over Play Angeli

I'd be okay with that. In the Sun Bowl, Angeli was 15/19 for 232 yds, 3 TDs and no interceptions. He did a great job running the offense in that game, against a pretty good defense, although OSU was missing some players.

Offense is awful besides Love, Evans, and Collins might be the worst as a group we had in a while. Riley Leonard looks bad you have to be thinking about playing Carr or Kenny for the future but Freeman will only worry about his job so he will play Leonard and we will go 9-3 and have to start over next year when they could get there lumps out now and be ready for 2025.

Offense is awful besides Love, Evans, and Collins might be the worst as a group we had in a while. Riley Leonard looks bad you have to be thinking about playing Carr or Kenny for the future but Freeman will only worry about his job so he will play Leonard and we will go 9-3 and have to start over next year when they could get there lumps out now and be ready for 2025.
Than ND will be eternally 9-3 with that attitude.

They are out. You can’t lose at home to Northern Illinois. No chance
If we ran the table and went 11-1, I think we'd get in. That would include a win at USC. But I don't think we're going to do that, without a drastic improvement in the offense.

Reactions: mmumley
If we ran the table and went 11-1, I think we'd get in. That would include a win at USC. But I don't think we're going to do that, without a drastic improvement in the offense.
ND would get in as the 12th seed, the G5 team would be seeded ahead of ND.

ND would get in as the 12th seed, the G5 team would be seeded ahead of ND.
You are being optimistic. With this schedule and that loss, they would put another Big 10 or SEC team in. It really doesn't matter though. If we keep Leonard at QB, there will be no more wins. NIU had 11 in the box. They know he can't or won't throw deep. I think he has thrown three passes that went 20 yards past the LOS (in two games combined), and one was caught by our team and one by the other. I don't think Denbrock trusts him deep and I also don't think he trusts him in tight spaces. There were no called passes in the red zone. He is just not an accurate passer.

You are being optimistic. With this schedule and that loss, they would put another Big 10 or SEC team in. It really doesn't matter though. If we keep Leonard at QB, there will be no more wins. NIU had 11 in the box. They know he can't or won't throw deep. I think he has thrown three passes that went 20 yards past the LOS (in two games combined), and one was caught by our team and one by the other. I don't think Denbrock trusts him deep and I also don't think he trusts him in tight spaces. There were no called passes in the red zone. He is just not an accurate passer.
Leonard's career average per pass is 7 yards. Anyone who watched him at Duke would know this.

Angeli in his limited play is averaging 11.5 yards per pass.

The staff has shiny object syndrome. They bought into all the Riley Leonard hype instead of looking at what you have and developing it.

No offense to Angeli, but don't you think if Aneli was that good, ND never would have recruited RL? When I first heard the news of RL being recruited to ND, it frustrated me, because it obviously meant there was no QB on the roster that the staff thought they could win with. Blame recruiting, lack of talent, coaching, development, whatever. ND really screwed themselves w/ the QB problem they have now.

Reactions: wiu86
Leonard's career average per pass is 7 yards. Anyone who watched him at Duke would know this.

Angeli in his limited play is averaging 11.5 yards per pass.

The staff has shiny object syndrome. They bought into all the Riley Leonard hype instead of looking at what you have and developing it.
The book on Leonard is to make him pass to beat you. He seemingly can't. In any event, in this day and age, you can't even beat a MAC team with a good rushing offense and a passing game that consists of screens and swing passes with the occasional 5 yard pass to the TE or slot on a stick route in the middle. Defenses have it easy if they only have to defend 12 yards vertically.

Play Carr, highest ceiling of the group, swing for the fences
I don't think you can play Carr in this situation. WTF has he done to earn that? Angeli has certainly paid his dues, and did very well in his lone start, and is probably a better bet to win games in the here and now. And what about Minchey, wtf has he ever done to simply be leapfrogged by a true frosh? That's a complete insult to the team, and the other two QBs. Starting a true frosh by virtue of the fact that he has the highest theoretical upside in a season that was supposed to be and still could be a playoff run. That's a luxury reserved for complete rebuilding seasons.

If RL isn't getting the job done, you replace him with whoever among the other three who can get you wins now. Unless the season completely collapses and we're 2-4. Then who the hell cares what you do. And that presumably would be Angeli. And then you have an open QB competition next spring. Unless Angeli is utterly lights out, like for instance running the table and winning a playoff game.

No offense to Angeli, but don't you think if Aneli was that good, ND never would have recruited RL? When I first heard the news of RL being recruited to ND, it frustrated me, because it obviously meant there was no QB on the roster that the staff thought they could win with. Blame recruiting, lack of talent, coaching, development, whatever. ND really screwed themselves w/ the QB problem they have now.
I'm calling into question the coaching staffs evaluation of QB's. I believe they have shiny object syndrome. Look at the recruitment of each Riley Leonard and Steve Angeli. Coming out of HS, Angeli was rated higher than Leonard, had better offers from major schools over Leonard.
Angeli, in the limited time he's seen the field has produced.
77% completion percentage, 7 TD's, 1 INT, 96.4 QBR, 11.5 yards per pass, 3.4 yards per carry.

I believe Freeman was afraid to give an inexperienced QB the nod and went with a more experienced QB. I also believe that was a mistake. You don't know what you have until you throw them in live action.

I don't think you can play Carr in this situation. WTF has he done to earn that? Angeli has certainly paid his dues, and did very well in his lone start, and is probably a better bet to win games in the here and now. And what about Minchey, wtf has he ever done to simply be leapfrogged by a true frosh? That's a complete insult to the team, and the other two QBs. Starting a true frosh by virtue of the fact that he has the highest theoretical upside in a season that was supposed to be and still could be a playoff run. That's a luxury reserved for complete rebuilding seasons.

If RL isn't getting the job done, you replace him with whoever among the other three who can get you wins now. Unless the season completely collapses and we're 2-4. Then who the hell cares what you do. And that presumably would be Angeli. And then you have an open QB competition next spring. Unless Angeli is utterly lights out, like for instance running the table and winning a playoff game.
The coaching staff already insulted the other QB’s By bringing in Leonard in the first place. They had no prob leapfrogging them.

“Angeli paid his dues” this isn’t UPS, there’s not a seniority list.

I’ll say this loud and clear ND is completely and totally ELIMINATED from the playoff. I’d put in a 4 loss SEC team before I’d put in ND with a MAC loss.

A major part of coaching is recognition. Any coaching staff that walked away from last week's game thinking there was not a huge problem with the offensive line failed miserably. Just because they added 100 yards in the fourth quarter last week on a couple of exceptionally run plays by talented offense backs let them think they had a good offensive line. They do not. If you have to rely on a quarterback running more offensive plays than your marquee running backs, as was done in yesterday's first quarter, you have a significant problem.

They should have went to Angelli in 2nd Q

Before he got slammed to ground, Leonard was off line….and he missed by throwing late, shallow, or deep. MF needs some b*ls to make that change …he didn’t

The coaching staff already insulted the other QB’s By bringing in Leonard in the first place. They had no prob leapfrogging them.

I’ll say this loud and clear ND is completely and totally ELIMINATED from the playoff. I’d put in a 4 loss SEC team before I’d put in ND with a MAC loss.
Angeli is a better QB than Leonard.

Reactions: futuredomer
I'm calling into question the coaching staffs evaluation of QB's. I believe they have shiny object syndrome. Look at the recruitment of each Riley Leonard and Steve Angeli. Coming out of HS, Angeli was rated higher than Leonard, had better offers from major schools over Leonard.
Angeli, in the limited time he's seen the field has produced.
77% completion percentage, 7 TD's, 1 INT, 96.4 QBR, 11.5 yards per pass, 3.4 yards per carry.

I believe Freeman was afraid to give an inexperienced QB the nod and went with a more experienced QB. I also believe that was a mistake. You don't know what you have until you throw them in live action.
No argument there. You would like to think one of Carr, Minchey, or Angeli would do a better job. We're in big trouble if that isn't the case.

Let me respond load and clear. You are totally wrong. Loud and clear, code red😂

One would think they know more than us. But then🤔

It's definitely true that there isn't an official seniority list, enforced by a set of union bylaws. Still, I wouldn't agree with forcing a true frosh QB in there on very little basis other than his HS pedigree and a pretty good spring game. Unless he is clearly the best guy, and not merely a promising young prospect with nominally the highest upside.

As to the whole 'they already slapped the QB room in the face by brining in a transfer in the first place' argument, I don't think that's accurate at all. They're just trying to improve the team and put their best foot forward. It's a judgement call. If it turns out RL isn't up to it, and the team might/would be better served with one of the vets already on the roster then make the switch. It doesn't mean you have to start a true frosh with an unapologetic eye towards the future, when Angeli has already proven himself, and Minchey is hardly chopped liver either. That's like an additional slap in the face. You do it like I said, play the most game-ready of the backups, because you still want to win, and not merely develop, because that's the whole reason you're making a QB change, and then go from there based on the results of the rest of the season.

So if Carr really does give you the best chance or very close to it then yeah, sure. But if not, then no.

Stats, recruiting evaluations, scholarship offers coming out of HS.
???? Based on that, you annoint Steve Angeli as a starter?

These coaches are paid well to win games, and see these guys every day at practice. If Steve Angeli should be starting, he would be.

Reactions: FightingIrish44
withe a 12 team playoff field of course we are not out of it yet
BUT we would have to pretty much run the table to get in
IF USC is highly ranked and we go in there and beat them we will get in.
do that and be 11-1 and we will get in

withe a 12 team playoff field of course we are not out of it yet
BUT we would have to pretty much run the table to get in
IF USC is highly ranked and we go in there and beat them we will get in.
do that and be 11-1 and we will get in
Pretty much?????

11-1, or this team is on the outside looking in.

No way ND gets in playoff. They don’t have the schedule to make up much ground. Crappy schedule. USC probably won’t be ranked by the time ND goes to LA.

ND cannot make the playoffs.....because there will be another deserving team without an NIU loss. ND needs an accomplished head coach.....Not a Freeman. ND needs to go after Dabo Swinney. He is being dissed at Clemson....and might be ripe for the taking. He is a winner who is going through the ups and downs...but possesses the championship chops that ND does not have. I've wanted this guy at ND for a while...how about next year?

Not true, if they win 10 in a row they prove it was a fluke. And sitting at 18-20 with 10 games left, plenty of time to get back in the top 12. Just because you would doesn’t make it true.

Reactions: FightingIrish44
ND cannot make the playoffs.....because there will be another deserving team without an NIU loss. ND needs an accomplished head coach.....Not a Freeman. ND needs to go after Dabo Swinney. He is being dissed at Clemson....and might be ripe for the taking. He is a winner who is going through the ups and downs...but possesses the championship chops that ND does not have. I've wanted this guy at ND for a while...how about next year?
It’s not all that bad, Irish lost to the 25th ranked team! 🤣

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT