ADVERTISEMENT

Season-Ending Injuies

Jun 12, 2001
Watching Shaun Crawford go down with a season-ending injury (on a routine play, no contact), seems to be a familiar theme with this team. It's been going on for several years now and I can no longer think that the team is "snake-bit". Do the trainers at ND not now about flexibility training to go along with weights and muscle mass? Stanford has been using these techniques for years and, wouldn't you know, have the fewest injuries every season.
Last year's team may have been the National Champion had back-ups to back-ups not been playing so much. I would guess we're all a little tired of watching guys jump up after a play and bye, bye season..

I watch a lot of college football DLS and can tell you that a lot of teams go through the same issues injury wise as our irish and so I don't know what your talking about. Georgia goes through these same issues with rb injuries as do other schools at different positions. I remember about ten or so years ago where Georgia was a preseason top five team and started losing half of there starters due to injuries from the start of fall practice and into the season. it happens to a lot of teams DLS

Reactions: Bodizephax
See opinions of Shane Walton and Reggie Brooks. They believe it's a wave of bad luck and not the turf and not Longo and not the training. When two Irish greats talk, I listen.

Reactions: Ara64
What I find troubling is that the injuries are all season ending. It's not like they will be back in 2, 3, 4 weeks.

Maybe it's because I watch every snap of every game and don't notice it in others, but damn... I have never seen a team just cripple themselves with injuries over the last couple seasons.

We had our share of injuries not to mention suspensions in 1988 ... But we had depth even if a bit young.

are you kidding?

You really think wo injuries that 2015 ND could have beaten Bama or tOSU.

WOW!
This is a great productive response to the actual post Perse. Many you never seem to let us down with the types of posts that are meant to do nothing but offend and rile up your opposition.

the one thing that I do like about BK is that he never panics. His next man in philosophy is the only way to coach . In the NFL a GM can look at the waiver wire on Monday. In college your waiver wire is your depth. Injuries happen to all teams each week. Sees to be more prevalent at ND. What makes me crazy is the lack of accountability in the class room ( Alize Jones) and off field BS that compounds the lack of depth issues. ND is going to sink or swim with some Frosh. I really like # 35 Vaughn . He is 6-2 at CB and the last time I remember a CB to play at that height was Bobby Taylor and he was one of the best ever at ND. Feel really bad for Crawford ( a repeat of Tranquill) but he really only had a little experience but great potential. What ND cannot do is keep going to guys that get beat at CB and corners cannot play 10 yards off the ball. If they are they're not corners. That cost them the game at Texas . If the frosh Vaughn is the best CB then play him.

We had our share of injuries not to mention suspensions in 1988 ... But we had depth even if a bit young.

My memory of 1988 is that we had very few major injuries over the course of that year, which was one of the reasons we were so good.

I think the last two years have been the worst I've ever seen for key players.

Reactions: Irishjohn68
Never panics? We don't know what goes on behind closed doors? He may be like the Lloyd Bridges character (Steve McCroskey) from the movie "Airplane".

are you kidding?

You really think wo injuries that 2015 ND could have beaten Bama or tOSU.

WOW!
It would have been a pretty interesting game against Oh St if ND wasn't missing the following: Keivarie Russell, Jaylon Smith, Tarean Folston, Malik Zaire, Max Redfield, Jerry Tillery, Drue Tranquil, Jarron Jones (limited), CJ Procise (limited). ND just can't afford injuries/suspensions to compete with the nation's best.

ND was down 28-21 to OSU in the 3rd quarter missing all those guys. ND played Clemson straight up on the road. And Clemson gave Bama all they wanted.

Stupid post. 2015 ND healthy beats Stanford and gives Clemson or Bama a game.

Reactions: Bodizephax
ND was down 28-21 to OSU in the 3rd quarter missing all those guys. ND played Clemson straight up on the road. And Clemson gave Bama all they wanted.

Stupid post. 2015 ND healthy beats Stanford and gives Clemson or Bama a game.

Agreed.

It would have been a pretty interesting game against Oh St if ND wasn't missing the following: Keivarie Russell, Jaylon Smith, Tarean Folston, Malik Zaire, Max Redfield, Jerry Tillery, Drue Tranquil, Jarron Jones (limited), CJ Procise (limited). ND just can't afford injuries/suspensions to compete with the nation's best.

When your roster lacks depth, you have to rely on the same guys to take way more snaps than they should (players wear down and get injured). ND didn't have a front 7 rotation last year for example (too many misses on the recruiting trail).

OSU is stacked 2-3 deep at every position with nationally rated top 100 players. They can go harder in practice and keep guys fresh for the duration of the season. ND is not anywhere close to OSUs program at the moment (OSU is simply in another tier).

Last edited:
When your roster lacks depth, you have to rely on the same guys to take way more snaps than they should (players wear down and get injured). ND didn't have a front 7 rotation last year for example (too many misses on the recruiting trail).

OSU is stacked 2-3 deep at every position with nationally rated top 100 players. They can go harder in practice and keep guys fresh for the duration of the season. ND is not anywhere close to OSUs program at the moment (OSU is simply in another tier).
I completely agree, that is obvious. Alabama and OSU have separated themselves from the pack and are in a league of their own. I don't expect ND to reach their level under any coach, they would need to sell their souls and that's won't/shouldn't happen. My point was exactly that, ND needs to keep guys eligible and healthy if they expect to make a run (much like 2012).

My memory of 1988 is that we had very few major injuries over the course of that year, which was one of the reasons we were so good.

I think the last two years have been the worst I've ever seen for key players.
I agree, I don't remember too many injuries in 1988.

Shane and Reggie also talked about how much bigger, stronger, and faster the players are today. Shane commented that he would be considered small if he played today. He said the only thing that hasn't changed is the knee, tendons and ligaments, and feet. They said that they've watched every aspect of ND's training and it's solid. They called it snakebitten or simply a run of bad lock. I think that they know better than me.

That's what I was trying to point out in two different threads but no one is listening. They have their mind made up it's the turf or Longo or even BK. Shane and Reggie know better than any of us. If they say the training program is solid, it's solid.

Reactions: Ara64
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT