ADVERTISEMENT

Scoop On 2020 Notre Dame DB Recruiting

EJ Holland

Recruiting Insider
Staff
Apr 25, 2019
*** Notre Dame has three defensive back commitments in its 2020 class. The Irish would ideally like to add two more recruits in the secondary. We've mentioned over and over that Notre Dame wants a true safety in this class. But the Irish aren't going to take a safety just to take a safety. Notre Dame wants the best defensive backs available, and I'm told they feel comfortable with the safety versatility offered by verbal pledges Caleb Offord and Clarence Lewis.

*** With that said, Notre Dame hasn't thrown in the towel for four-star Salpointe Catholic (Ariz.) safety Lathan Ransom. In fact, it's quite the opposite. The Irish are making a concerted effort to get Ransom, who is set to make his decision on July 16, to pump the brakes a bit. Right now, the feeling I get is that Ohio State is still the clear cut leader here. But Notre Dame's push, at the very least, is being well received by Ransom.

*** Again, while Notre Dame is pushing, I still feel like Ohio State is going to be the pick. I don't want you to get optimistic. I simply want you to know that if Notre Dame is going down, it's going down swinging. Notre Dame defensive backs coach Terry Joseph has been in constant contact with Ransom throughout the dead period. I have reason to believe that Texas has slowed down on Ransom a bit as there doesn't appear to be much optimism in Austin, so Notre Dame may have slid into No. 2 by default. Still, Ohio State is going to be tough to overcome.

*** Raytown (Mo.) cornerback Dontae Manning recently backed out of his verbal commitment to Oklahoma, and I immediately put in a FutureCast pick for Texas A&M. I actually had heard some buzz at The Opening that Manning was getting ready to flip from OU to A&M. However, I'm now told Manning is slowing things down and wants to use his visits. Notre Dame has pushed significantly over the last few days, and Manning wants to make his way to South Bend in the fall. He has become a priority for the Irish.

*** Sticking with the OU theme, four-star Little Elm (Texas) cornerback Ryan Watts is still committed to the Sooners. It may not be today or tomorrow, but I wouldn't be surprised if Watts eventually follows Manning and backs out of his verbal pledge to Oklahoma. Notre Dame has reengaged with Watts as I hinted they would last week. And just as I said in that same report, Watts is open to listening. Remember, Watts has already used his OV on Notre Dame, but I am told that he would be will to make it back to South Bend on a UV.

*** Notre Dame is still in the mix with four-star defensive back Christian Gonzalez of The Colony (Texas) and Malcolm Greene of Highland Springs (Va.), but things have been pretty stagnant with both. Gonzalez enjoyed his recent OV to Notre Dame, but there are still question marks about his personality fit. Gonzalez still plans to make a decision this summer, but it doesn't seem like Notre Dame has momentum. Meanwhile, Greene hasn't expressed a ton of interest, but a fall OV to South Bend is possible.

*** The biggest riser on the Notre Dame DB board may be Liberty (Calif.) product Ramon Henderson. While he has not completely locked in an official visit date, Henderson is aiming to make his way to South Bend for the game against Virginia on Sept. 28. I've considered putting in a FutureCast for Notre Dame as I believe the Irish are in the lead, but I want to see if they do follow through and bring him to campus. Right now, I'm told the staff loves Henderson's upside and potential.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News