ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Scoop: Latest On Top Notre Dame 2021 Targets

MikeSinger

Recruiting Insider
Staff
Mar 7, 2013
Here are some Tuesday morning breakfast nuggets...

*** The Notre Dame staff had a good Zoom call last night with West Bloomfield (Mich.) High running back Donovan Edwards, who ranks as the No. 65 player in the nation per Rivals. The gist here is that there’s reason to be optimistic with Notre Dame’s chances here, but there’s also reason to think the opposite. Some folks close to Edwards are also saying that they’re also having a tough time gauging where he’s leaning. The feeling after Monday night’s call is that we’re no closer to figuring out where Edwards is leaning, but there is some new information to discuss.

*** Here are the positives... I’m told that Edwards has been intently watching Notre Dame’s season, loves how the Irish are featuring Chris Tyree and Kyren Williams and can see himself playing with these two guys and in the Irish offense. Notre Dame’s Lance Taylor and Co. presented some good information to Edwards on Monday night and my sources feel that the Irish did a good job with it. The staff is doing its part; it’s up to Edwards to make the plunge or not. Edwards is telling Notre Dame that they’re still in it, but the Irish are in a tricky spot moving forward with running back recruiting, which we’ll get into shortly.

*** Here is a negative... Edwards is closely considering Michigan and Penn State, and those schools are a combined 2-8 this fall, but I’m told that Edwards is not going to make his decision based on a coaching staff and results this season. He’s watching these games, taking notes and looking to see if staff changes are made, but his school of choice won’t be made on coaches. That’s at least what Edwards is telling some folks right now. Obviously, you would like to hear if you’re Notre Dame that coaching changes and on the field success this season would play a bigger factor as the Irish are rolling right now, but if staff changes do occur at U-M and PSU, then we’ll see how Edwards reacts when it actually happens.

*** Something very interesting to watch moving forward is whether or not Edwards takes any self-guided visits before making a decision in December (he’s enrolling early so he must sign next month). Notre Dame would love to have Edwards on campus for its home finale against Syracuse, but of course, the staff can’t see him because of the dead period. The idea of Edwards taking a trip down to Georgia has been floated around, but I’m also hearing that he’s telling people that he’s done taking trips. It might be a situation where Edwards’ dad wants to take trips, but Donovan doesn’t.

*** Notre Dame has Logan Diggs committed at running back, and I expect him to sign in December as of now. Taking a second back in this class is a need now with the departures of Jahmir Smith and Jafar Armstrong from the running back room. Landing Edwards is obviously the most ideal situation, but Georgia, Michigan, Oklahoma and Penn State are all very much in play too, and he’s been very difficult to read.

*** Notre Dame has an offer out to California running back Byron Cardwell, but despite it being late November, his recruiting process is still in its early stages as he wants to take trips in December and January before signing in February. There’s also Montvale (N.J.) St. Joseph’s Audric Estime, who is committed to Michigan State, but I don’t expect him to sign with the Spartans. I’m told that Notre Dame has had productive contact with him recently including some Zoom calls, but no offer has been extended yet. Back to the whole “tricky spot” thing – I don’t think Notre Dame wants to make a move on Estime until it has a better feel on whether or not Edwards will pick the Irish.

*** It’s a tough call to make if you’re Notre Dame because you don’t want to move off Edwards if you still have a good shot, but you don’t want to lose out on Estime either. All of the words they’re hearing from the Edwards’ camp is positive, but actions are more important. So, whether or not Edwards visits Notre Dame for the Syracuse game weekend may give the staff a better indication of where they stand.

*** Some encouraging news on the Los Angeles Loyola cornerback Ceyair Wright front... I’m told that his plane tickets were purchased to come to Notre Dame for the weekend of the Syracuse game. When I previously reported that Wright was looking to get to South Bend that weekend, I was leery that it’d come to fruition, but it looks like my suspicions were wrong. From what I’ve gathered, Michigan, Notre Dame and USC are the top contenders for Wright, and Oregon may still have a shot as well. Be on the lookout for Wright to announce a top schools list in December, and he plans to announce his decision Jan. 2. USC is still considered the favorite here.

*** Notre Dame’s Zoom call with Highland Springs (Va.) High defensive lineman and Oklahoma commit Kelvin Gilliam did not occur last night like previously planned. It will be rescheduled. I don’t have any further details on it at this time. I don’t think this news necessarily hurts Notre Dame’s chances to pull off the flip, but as a fan, you’d like to hear that the call took place.

*** Nothing new this morning on the Merrillville (Ind.) High cornerback JoJo Johnson front. I’m still expecting him to commit to Notre Dame sooner than later, but I haven’t been able to pinpoint anything specific.

*** Notre Dame was keeping in contact with Bellevue (Neb.) West wide receiver and Iowa commit Keagan Johnson over the summer. I’m told that offensive coordinator Tommy Rees and recruiting coordinator Brian Polian re-engaged with Johnson last Friday. Their pitch to him is that he’s a player they want on their team but have to figure out how the rest of the class will finish out. If Notre Dame does offer, then I think there’s a strong chance that a flip would occur. Notre Dame doesn’t necessarily need another receiver in this class, but if it has an open spot, and the staff feels that Johnson is one of the best players available, then don’t be surprised to see them go after him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News