ADVERTISEMENT

RIP Jack Whitaker

dbhenders

I've posted how many times?
Gold Member
Jan 14, 2005
Asheville NC
Just read Jack Whitaker - a staple of CBS sports for decades - has passed away at the ripe old age of 95. While it has been ages since he was in the booth, I can still hear his calm, mellow voice reporting the action, especially for golf and for years at the Masters. Also broadcast Super Bowl I... Quite a career for the sportscasting Hall of Famer...

One of the many memorable voices from my youth that remain eternal: Curt Gowdy, Jack Whitaker, Pat Summerall, Tom Brookshier, Chris Schenkel, Keith Jackson, Bill Flemming, Lindsay Nelson, Dick Enberg ...
I agree Lou except Keith Jackson was not a ND fan. I always suspected he had SC tattooed on his cheeks.

One of the many memorable voices from my youth that remain eternal: Curt Gowdy, Jack Whitaker, Pat Summerall, Tom Brookshier, Chris Schenkel, Keith Jackson, Bill Flemming, Lindsay Nelson, Dick Enberg ...
I will admit that I’ve gone to U-tube just to watch old events that Curt Gowdy broadcast. Be it a World Series game, Rose Bowl, Super Bowl, etc., he just added something that made it must-see.

All great names Lou. They bring back memories. Add one more. The great John Facenda.
All great names Lou. Add one more...the great John Facenda.

Reactions: unclemikey
Steve Buscemi = Best God ever!

d7dfb353be78e94effdb9e339ba964e0.jpg

For me, and the sports voices of my youth

Harry Kalas
Richie "whitey" Ashburn
Merril Reese

Absolutely with those already mentioned. Even though some don't like Keith Jackson for any bias/perceived bias against ND. To me his voice was outstanding. And was college football. Loved his colloquialisms, the big uglies, whoa Nelly etc... Also fondly remember him messing up saying Rice stepped out of the back of the EZ. When he stepped on the back of the U$C painted design and NOT the end line.

Jack Whitaker was more than a sportscaster and sideline reporter. His insights and intelligence dominated his commentary, more so on the sideline. Keeping in mind that he would also be called upon to offer pre-game comments as well. Often times this commentary was about an athlete, coach or even trends in the sport that he covered.

He was unique not only with his presentation, but his style as well. In his hay day there no other professionals like him. He was his own man and wasn't formed or created by the network he served, unlike today's "manufactured" sideline reporters, color analysts and studio half wits.

He represents an era of professionals that were generally writers and journalists first and respected and honored their profession. His peers were outstanding pros like Red Smith (ND alum), Jim Murray, Bill Gleason, et al. I grew up reading many of them and have missed their writings of this bygone era.

He and his peers have been and will be sorely missed.

lots of great memories in that list Lou.

I agree Lou except Keith Jackson was not a ND fan. I always suspected he had SC tattooed on his cheeks.
don't believe that, what he was, was a hater of the ND -NBC tv deal i think primarily because it precluded his calling games at ND stadium. He bad mouthed the TV deal, but never ND football.

I will admit that I’ve gone to U-tube just to watch old events that Curt Gowdy broadcast. Be it a World Series game, Rose Bowl, Super Bowl, etc., he just added something that made it must-see.
remember the time Al McGuire went off on Gowdy. it was the year after he retired from coaching and was working a first round NCAA game with Gowdy. Marquette had been upset by Miami, [Oh] earlier in the day and Gowdy kept bringing it up during the telecast. After one time too many McGuire goes "how many times do you need to say that?"

Reactions: Josh Nall

Agree Lou and I would add Frank Broyles and Harry Kalas. I remember Kalas on the old Metro Sports broadcasts of ND in the early ‘80’s like the ‘82 win at Pitt and I loved the ABC combo of Jackson/Broyles. ☘️

For me, and the sports voices of my youth

Harry Kalas
Richie "whitey" Ashburn
Merril Reese

Absolutely with those already mentioned. Even though some don't like Keith Jackson for any bias/perceived bias against ND. To me his voice was outstanding. And was college football. Loved his colloquialisms, the big uglies, whoa Nelly etc... Also fondly remember him messing up saying Rice stepped out of the back of the EZ. When he stepped on the back of the U$C painted design and NOT the end line.
What, no Gene Hart? "he's right out in front".....

Frank Broyles . There’s a blast from the past. I still have the license plate off of his baby blue Cadillac ( 1967 ) .

Great list Lou. Jim McKay as well. And growing up listening to the Irish on the radio, Tony Roberts

Absolutely! Truly earned "The Voice of God" moniker.

Agreed. As a kid (in the 1960s) we watched the local CBS news in Philadelphia (WCAU) which had John Facenda as anchor and Tom Brookshire on sports. Wow, were we spoiled.

Slightly before my time (the 1950s) Jack Whitaker worked at the same station doing the weather.

Great List! I grew up listening to all of them. Had the great fortune to meet and stand next to Keith Jackson at the '77 SC Pep Rally in Stepan.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT