ADVERTISEMENT

Requests related to Lou

BGI User 2232

I've posted how many times?
Gold Member
Aug 29, 2003
I have resisted the literally overpowering urge to start about fourteen threads related to Lou. You have no idea how hard it is for me to suppress that urge bordering on compulsion, but you can probably guess.

However, there are a couple of items that go beyond pure tribute. Besides, Todd Burlage has left a very tough act to follow in that regard.

There are posters here who knew Lou "back when," quite likely even at Notre Dame. Their friendship went well beyond message boards and even Notre Dame football. If they are so inspired, I think it would be very healing for all to have them write a front page piece eulogizing Lou, inclusive of humorous vignettes. Sadly, I have given more eulogies than I care to remember, but in each instance I was always encouraged to add humor. It wasn't easy, but it helps. Lou has a very unique story. He literally grew up on the Notre Dame campus as at least his mother worked in the dining hall. Also, if I'm not mistaken, he transferred in to Notre Dame from Holy Cross, but I could have that wrong. I think we would all enjoy rounding out the picture of a great man. I'm taking a stab at this but I think @Jimbo Makovici might be one such individual with a lengthy personal history with Lou, and possibly his brother. Regardless, whomever it is, I hope they would feel comfortable coming forward, and that the staff would offer a byline for a very meaningful story.

The second suggestion is one that is piggybacking on what has already been offered by others. Lou's name and/or picture should be a part of this board permanently. It is more than a tribute, though that certainly would be reason enough. If you go ever go into a spiritual center for some eastern religions, you will see pictures of individuals who have a special place in their lineage called gurus. This is not strictly an act of honor, but it is also meant to inspire. Lou Somogyi was our guru. His name and/or image should be visible to anyone who opens this website. It should be a prominent reminder that we need to be guided by our better selves. That we need to play like a champion. That we need to be like Lou.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News