ADVERTISEMENT

Reggie Bush & Heisman

He knowingly broke the rules and now he is rewarded for it.
What a shock in todays world

The money/gifts received had nothing to do with the on field performance. He earned that trophy by his play. The team served their penalty in the years following. It’s not like he was caught taking PEDs.

The money/gifts received had nothing to do with the on field performance. He earned that trophy by his play. The team served their penalty in the years following. It’s not like he was caught taking PEDs.
How do you know how the cash was used? More money usually = freedom, better nutrition, top tier trainers, and access to resources 99% of athletes didn’t have. Meanwhile, other college athletes may have had to take out part time jobs, eat fast food all the while Reggie had these taken care of allowing him more freedom to perfect his craft.

How do you know how the cash was used? More money usually = freedom, better nutrition, top tier trainers, and access to resources 99% of athletes didn’t have. Meanwhile, other college athletes may have had to take out part time jobs, eat fast food all the while Reggie had these taken care of allowing him more freedom to perfect his craft.
He wasn’t playing in 1960. You really think a 20 year old Reggie Bush was spending his gifts on performance enhancing nutrition? He started at running back for USC, pretty sure they have a solid nutrition program, top tier trainers, monthly stipend so part time job isn’t needed, that’s all a part of the scholarship. It’s pretty well known a house was purchased for his family as a part of the deal he received.

You’re entitled to your opinion which is fine if you think his heisman should remain vacated, but at least be reasonable with your justification as to why…

Reactions: Chitown11
Lol

Would you feel the same way if he was taking illegal steroids ?
Performance enhancement substances is WAYYYYYYYY more common in college football than you probably can even comprehend. And it has been like that for quite some time. As far as I'm concerned, Bush was playing on a level playing field and he resigned supreme. He was easily one of the most electrifying college football players of my lifetime.

Reactions: Utah Irish Lad
No one and I mean no one (Rudy quote from Devine). Has any respect for ncaa. Disband the organization. It’s a joke it ruined the game.
But Ski, maybe our expectations have been misplaced all these many years. This according to their website:

WHAT DOES THE NATIONAL OFFICE DO?​

The 500 employees at the NCAA’s Indianapolis headquarters interpret and support member legislation, run all championships and manage programs that benefit student-athletes.

Performance enhancement substances is WAYYYYYYYY more common in college football than you probably can even comprehend. And it has been like that for quite some time. As far as I'm concerned, Bush was playing on a level playing field and he resigned supreme. He was easily one of the most electrifying college football players of my lifetime.
So you advocate for each athlete deciding which rules of their sport they want to follow.

Interesting concept.

• Haha
Reactions: NDinNJ
He wasn’t playing in 1960. You really think a 20 year old Reggie Bush was spending his gifts on performance enhancing nutrition? He started at running back for USC, pretty sure they have a solid nutrition program, top tier trainers, monthly stipend so part time job isn’t needed, that’s all a part of the scholarship. It’s pretty well known a house was purchased for his family as a part of the deal he received.

You’re entitled to your opinion which is fine if you think his heisman should remain vacated, but at least be reasonable with your justification as to why…
If you were dropped a couple hundred K, do you think your life would become easier? Aka providing freedoms, time/resources, you to focus on what you want? I speculated on where his cash was spent but to shun the belief that any human on the planet doesn’t benefit immensely from a large sum of cash, a house is asinine. Money= freedom. Reggie had a hell of a lot less on his plate than any college student athlete in the world. I’d be curious to see how current NIL big winners benefit vs those with 0..perhaps education becomes far less important, reducing stress on studies. Get real if you don’t think this had impacts beyond a material things.

Reactions: theskibro

Well might as well reinstate ND’s vacated wins while they are at it

If you were dropped a couple hundred K, do you think your life would become easier? Aka providing freedoms, time/resources, you to focus on what you want? I speculated on where his cash was spent but to shun the belief that any human on the planet doesn’t benefit immensely from a large sum of cash, a house is asinine. Money= freedom. Reggie had a hell of a lot less on his plate than any college student athlete in the world. I’d be curious to see how current NIL big winners benefit vs those with 0..perhaps education becomes far less important, reducing stress on studies. Get real if you don’t think this had impacts beyond a material things.
and this has what to do with who was the most outstanding football player?

and this has what to do with who was the most outstanding football player?
who broke the rules knowingly. BUT that clearly does not matter to you and those like you.
As I said you probably would not care if he robbed liquor stores or abused women as well, right?

Would you feel the same way if he was taking illegal steroids ?
Except he wasn’t taking steroids? One directly impacts on field performance, while the one he was implicated for does not. It’s simple actually.
Does it impact life? Sure, nobody says it doesn’t. Did it truly impact him on the field? I would say highly doubtful. Mom having a house doesn’t help him take a punt back. Also, there were many players receiving illegal benefits that didn’t win the Heisman trophy.

Reactions: deadirishpoet
Except he wasn’t taking steroids? One directly impacts on field performance, while the one he was implicated for does not. It’s simple actually.

Does it impact life? Sure, nobody says it doesn’t. Did it truly impact him on the field? I would say highly doubtful. Mom having a house doesn’t help him take a punt back. Also, there were many players receiving illegal benefits that didn’t win the Heisman trophy.
If you’ve ever strapped on a jock, you know the mental side is a massive component. If you were gifted a life changing sum of money, parents a new house- don’t think you would be better equipped to excel at hobbies/sports in your life? And why is that? Time freedom, less stress, access to resources?

CN you elaborate on what the USC monthly stipend was in 2005 compared to Reggie’s payment?

If you’ve ever strapped on a jock, you know the mental side is a massive component. If you were gifted a life changing sum of money, parents a new house- don’t think you would be better equipped to excel at hobbies/sports in your life? And why is that? Time freedom, less stress, access to resources?

CN you elaborate on what the USC monthly stipend was in 2005 compared to Reggie’s payment?
I did play D1 football before transferring to ND actually, so I will comment on this. If anything, receiving money and benefits could allow a player to take their foot off the gas pedal and not work as hard. Players who are broke and working for the draft and life changing money have even more incentive to perform.

I cannot comment on the monthly stipend, but even at a MAC school where I played, we all received a stipend so we didn’t have to get a part time minimum wage job.

Reactions: tbonesays

Odd post.

So you’re an advocate for selecting which rules you want to abide by

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT