ADVERTISEMENT

Rees Presser - 10-25

C'mon you know I wanted ND to hire Fickell. Nothing we could do once Jack retained Rees as OC then elevated Freeman to HC. We have to let it play out now, but we should all be hoping for the best.
Fair enough you did I remember

Reactions: NDinNJ
C'mon you know I wanted ND to hire Fickell. Nothing we could do once Jack retained Rees as OC then elevated Freeman to HC. We have to let it play out now, but we should all be hoping for the best.
Lots of folks liked Fickell. Unfortunately he had no interest in the position given the timing. It never even got to the interview stage.

Reactions: Kelso86
Notre Dame could’ve waited for him without a problem they chose not to
"Notre Dame could’ve waited for him without a problem they chose not to"

Yes, ND could have waited for him after the playoffs, but would have missed out on being considered for the playoffs (even though it was a long shot anyway), would have seen a recruiting class implode right before their eyes, a then DC who probably would have bolted to his alma mater (word in Columbus is he was coming here) -- and Luke really would have been behind the 8-ball.

Yes, ND could have waited for him after the playoffs, but would have missed out on being considered for the playoffs (even though it was a long shot anyway), would have seen a recruiting class implode right before their eyes, a then DC who probably would have bolted to his alma mater (word in Columbus is he was coming here) -- and Luke really would have been behind the 8-ball.
Holding together a group of high school prospects should not be determinative of who ND hires as its head coach. It's still baffling Swarbrick fell into this trap.

If a couple recruits jump ship, big deal, you have to think longer term. USC kept falling into this trap post-Pete Carroll. Did ND's basically non-existent 2010 recruiting class impact Brian Kelly's tenure? Of course not - you hire the best coach available.

Holding together a group of high school prospects should not be determinative of who ND hires as its head coach. It's still baffling Swarbrick fell into this trap.

If a couple recruits jump ship, big deal, you have to think longer term. USC kept falling into this trap post-Pete Carroll. Did ND's basically non-existent 2010 recruiting class impact Brian Kelly's tenure? Of course not - you hire the best coach available.
Precisely. The concern over a recruit or two is absolutely ridiculous. Freeman was not able to keep CJ Williams. He lost Keeley. He can't land a QB, and he will probably still lose Bowen. I bet hiring Fickell would have pulled as many kids our way as we'd have lost. He's got a reputation as a damn good coach and a good recruiter himself. I'd always take elite coaching over a handful of future high 4 star duds and a crap shoot gamble coach. We'd have a different OC, likely a transfer QB as well. We'd also be a 1 loss team. Possibly undefeated as that Ohio State team we played was beatable with a better QB and some fire. ND would be in a really good position with one of the rare elite coaches in the game. They blew him off. Fickell is the only available coach in the nation that is better than BK.

Precisely. The concern over a recruit or two is absolutely ridiculous. Freeman was not able to keep CJ Williams. He lost Keeley. He can't land a QB, and he will probably still lose Bowen. I bet hiring Fickell would have pulled as many kids our way as we'd have lost. He's got a reputation as a damn good coach and a good recruiter himself. I'd always take elite coaching over a handful of future high 4 star duds and a crap shoot gamble coach. We'd have a different OC, likely a transfer QB as well. We'd also be a 1 loss team. Possibly undefeated as that Ohio State team we played was beatable with a better QB and some fire. ND would be in a really good position with one of the rare elite coaches in the game. They blew him off. Fickell is the only available coach in the nation that is better than BK.
I agree with you except for having a new OC. Jack Retained Rees PRIOR to naming a HC. This may have been a BIG reason Fickell may have said no. No successful coach in their right mind would go for this type of arrangement.

I agree with you except for having a new OC. Jack Retained Rees PRIOR to naming a HC. This may have been a BIG reason Fickell may have said no. No successful coach in their right mind would go for this type of arrangement.
As soon as Fickell had gotten that message his phone line went dead!

Reactions: Kelso86 and NDinNJ

I don't think he fell into that trap. Why do you people keep saying that? It doesn't make any sense, if there's anything, any sort of decision-making consideration that a non-athlete like Jack Swarbrick could easily and capably account for, it's something like that. As in, you don't make a monumental hiring decision on the value of a single recruiting class. And Swarbrick would indeed see that and understand that.

Swarbrick loves MF. He was a rising star as a young DC, with remarkable charisma and personal appeal, and apparently had developed in a short time a very strong affinity for ND, which you can bet was received well by the likes of Swarbrick, Jenkins and anyone else in a similar position. As well as the possibility, when it comes to recruiting, that MF would be a powerful force on the recruiting trail in forthcoming classes. But not merely to salvage and hold onto one single #8 rated recruiting class.

It's not why he was hired. That wasn't the draw. And I would think that would be quite obvious.

I don't think he fell into that trap. Why do you people keep saying that? It doesn't make any sense, if there's anything, any sort of decision-making consideration that a non-athlete like Jack Swarbrick could easily and capably account for, it's something like that. As in, you don't make a monumental hiring decision on the value of a single recruiting class. And Swarbrick would indeed see that and understand that.

Swarbrick loves MF. He was a rising star as a young DC, with remarkable charisma and personal appeal, and apparently had developed in a short time a very strong affinity for ND, which you can bet was received well by the likes of Swarbrick, Jenkins and anyone else in a similar position. As well as the possibility, when it comes to recruiting, that MF would be a powerful force on the recruiting trail in forthcoming classes. But not merely to salvage and hold onto one single #8 rated recruiting class.

It's not why he was hired. That wasn't the draw. And I would think that would be quite obvious.
He is not charismatic. He's the dullest sideline coach in the country.

He’s a pompous SOB. No chance he had regrets or thinks he made a mistake. And he will never admit it publicly even if we lose every game until 2025.

That 2010 class held together fairly well, actually. Many players commit to the school, not the coach. In fact, I remember one player - Louis Nix (RIP) - who committed when we had no coach.

I disagree greatly with this.

They were NOT getting in the Playoff.

Recruiting most definitely doesn't implode.
It balances out.
You lose a few...you gain a few...
If Freeman left...so what. Luke had the right to hire his staff, no? If MF was extended a stay...ok. If not, ok.

All that said nobody here knows how Luke fares this season.
The QB room is bad. (Maybe Angeli is really good but he dare not play because you know...we coach with sympathy and favor tenure.)

Fact remains Freeman has no chance of success as long as Rees is the OC

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT