ADVERTISEMENT

Receivers

And that was a pretty soft PI call, mainly on account of how blanketed our WR was. Almost hard not to interfere with him.

Beaux Collins might be the WR we as fans have been waiting for!
Yes, Collins had a nice game. Physical, good hands and runs good routes. Looks like he is a good blocker, too.

I had hoped to see some more of Kris Mitchell. He had a quiet night. With his speed and open field running abilities I was hoping to see more.

Not a lot from the tight ends last night, at least not what we have been accustomed to for the past couple of seasons. The announcers said a couple of times that Mitchell Evans is still not quite 100% after his ACL tear last season. Don't know if that is accurate or not, but I expect we'll see more of Mitchell as the season progresses and Riley Leonard gets more comfortable in the offense.

Reactions: BGI User 756
Yes, Collins had a nice game. Physical, good hands and runs good routes. Looks like he is a good blocker, too.

I had hoped to see some more of Kris Mitchell. He had a quiet night. With his speed and open field running abilities I was hoping to see more.

Not a lot from the tight ends last night, at least not what we have been accustomed to for the past couple of seasons. The announcers said a couple of times that Mitchell Evans is still not quite 100% after his ACL tear last season. Don't know if that is accurate or not, but I expect we'll see more of Mitchell as the season progresses and Riley Leonard gets more comfortable in the offense.
Don't they always say an ACL is a one-year recovery? I was surprised to see Evans even in uniform, to be honest.

Don't they always say an ACL is a one-year recovery? I was surprised to see Evans even in uniform, to be honest.
It’s really hard to get the brain to trust your knee after an ACL tear and repair. Not something you can just will to happen. Requires repetition in games and can’t be rushed. I think we’ll see Evans playing back to his level by mid season as long as he doesn’t tweak the damn thing as his playing time slowly increases.

Disagree. It’s hard to tackle a guy that’s trying to run away from you and you’re on his side or behind.
You are totally right about that. However the NFL voted unanimously to penalize this and said after reviewing over 20,000 tackles the rate of injury on hip drop tackles is 20x higher than others. I hope it will soon be gone from the game in the same way that head shots and spearing which were not only common but celebrated are now costly mistakes.

You are totally right about that. However the NFL voted unanimously to penalize this and said after reviewing over 20,000 tackles the rate of injury on hip drop tackles is 20x higher than others. I hope it will soon be gone from the game in the same way that head shots and spearing which were not only common but celebrated are now costly mistakes.
The issue for me is one of common sense, and I’m not being sarcastic towards you. What else is the defender supposed to do?

Especially in the case of Faison, that wasn’t even a deliberate hip drop where the defender puts his weight on the ballcarrier. The defender was naturally swinging around because of his positioning in relation to Faison.

The issue for me is one of common sense, and I’m not being sarcastic towards you. What else is the defender supposed to do?

Especially in the case of Faison, that wasn’t even a deliberate hip drop where the defender puts his weight on the ballcarrier. The defender was naturally swinging around because of his positioning in relation to Faison.
Agreed it would be very hard to officiate and very hard for defenders to resist in the moment when they can’t make a form tackle or are out of position or beaten. We’ve seen how rules protecting QBs have handcuffed pass rushers in the NFL and impacted drive and even game outcomes

Reactions: FightingIrish44
I rewatched the game tonight and I wonder if anyone else felt the way I did. On the drive before our fourth quarter TD, we were backed up and Pendleton had a false start to make it 3rd and 18 or something like that. They ran a wide receiver screen to Greathouse and he cut back to the middle of the field and was tackled after a relatively short gain. When I watched it tonight, I thought he could have cut to the outside and had the chance for a big gain.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT