ADVERTISEMENT

Quick note on NaNa Mensah

Ill say this. He does look a bit stiff, probably isn’t as tall as we thought, and didn’t put out a senior tape. Still dropping him to a 3 star is ridiculous

Ill say this. He does look a bit stiff, probably isn’t as tall as we thought, and didn’t put out a senior tape. Still dropping him to a 3 star is ridiculous

None of those things are new though. He's been successful regardless. Was the defensive player of the year in a hyper competitive area. If people are expecting an edge bending, deer, like Julian Okwara, they're going to be disappointed... What Nana is, IMO, is a cross between Daelin Hayes' skill set and Khalid Kareem's... I'd put him in that class of player. I think he's a legitimate 6'3.

Ok here’s a dumb question, because I really don’t know the answer. How do the recruiting services actually rank these players ? Do the people who work at these services look at film and then rank the players from their perspective ? Or do they see what coaches and team scouts do then rank them according their evaluations?

I just can’t understand how a kid who hovered around top 100 for two years, and was still top 150 after two rankings after the season, drops to a 3 Star after an All American game invite? How does he drop behind 200 kids who watched the game on their couch? LOL

This says it all.. you're absolutely right about how ridiculous this particular drop is. Excellent points. I'd love to see Farrell or any moderator from Rivals try to make sense of it.

maybe it was not him falling but that others impressed and moved up?

200 kids passed him in the rankings who haven’t played a game since two rankings came out. He, in that time, was an All American game (top 100 players) invite.
The 200 kids who passed him did literally nothing.

200 kids passed him in the rankings who haven’t played a game since two rankings came out. He, in that time, was an All American game (top 100 players) invite.
The 200 kids who passed him did literally nothing.

Some played in other games. SC had an OL commit drop 135 spots.

To follow up more:

They have two evaluations since the last HS games were played. NaNa was still top 150. Then after 4 days of walkthroughs at the AA week & the game, they drop him to a 3 Star.

Other players who were not invited to All Star games, let alone the All American game, who haven’t played a down of football since the past two rankings, are now in the top 250.

247 dropped him 42 spots in their native(non-composite) rankings... I think it has more to do with his size/fit than anything else - doesn't have elite speed on the edge, and not physically dominant at 215...

all I know is the staff sees him as a priority, and that's good enough for me...

None of those things are new though. He's been successful regardless. Was the defensive player of the year in a hyper competitive area. If people are expecting an edge bending, deer, like Julian Okwara, they're going to be disappointed... What Nana is, IMO, is a cross between Daelin Hayes' skill set and Khalid Kareem's... I'd put him in that class of player. I think he's a legitimate 6'3.
The cross between Hayes and Khalid is a good comparison, and that’s why a lot of folks think he will start out as a drop end and eventually end up at SDE. I personally like his skill set, and love his motor. The three star drop is asinine, but also totally irrelevant at this point.

The cross between Hayes and Khalid is a good comparison, and that’s why a lot of folks think he will start out as a drop end and eventually end up at SDE. I personally like his skill set, and love his motor. The three star drop is asinine, but also totally irrelevant at this point.

I've been saying SDE for a long time. I agree with that opinion. As long as he can hold the weight to play there. One of the concerns about Nana is that at 6'3, and already well built, he doesn't have a lot of physical development left in him. We'll see if he can hold 260lbs and be athletic enough to play SDE. I'm not saying he can or can't. That will be up to the ND strength staff.

I've been saying SDE for a long time. I agree with that opinion. As long as he can hold the weight to play there. One of the concerns about Nana is that at 6'3, and already well built, he doesn't have a lot of physical development left in him. We'll see if he can hold 260lbs and be athletic enough to play SDE. I'm not saying he can or can't. That will be up to the ND strength staff.

If you have questions as to position and fit, then maybe the evaluators saw that also? And maybe that explains the drop? Maybe they just did not see what they expected to see from him and questions were raised.

247 Sports dumped stock on Nana as well. They dropped him to a out of their top 200 as well. Rivals and 247 are seeing what others are. Quality player that isn't overly long, exceptionally athletic and is a bit of tweener.

I still like him as a strong side defensive end that will develop into a nice rotation DE in the future, but I think it's worth noting that it isn't only Rivals that isn't as high on him as they once were.

247 Sports dumped stock on Nana as well. They dropped him to a out of their top 200 as well. Rivals and 247 are seeing what others are. Quality player that isn't overly long, exceptionally athletic and is a bit of tweener.

I still like him as a strong side defensive end that will develop into a nice rotation DE in the future, but I think it's worth noting that it isn't only Rivals that isn't as high on him as they once were.

It’s typical overreaction to 4 days of camp workouts.
Kid spent his Senior year working on playing a position ND wanted him to work on, which was new for him, but still wins defensive player of the year in Big Boy Texas HS football & is an AA.
Then at the camp they have him practicing at a position that he didn’t play all year & won’t be playing at ND, & expect him to be a prototypical rush DE like most of the kids there. Then drop him when he’s not that player. Typical camp overreactions.

Reactions: tbonesays
It’s typical overreaction to 4 days of camp workouts.
Kid spent his Senior year working on playing a position ND wanted him to work on, which was new for him, but still wins defensive player of the year in Big Boy Texas HS football & is an AA.
Then at the camp they have him practicing at a position that he didn’t play all year & won’t be playing at ND, & expect him to be a prototypical rush DE like most of the kids there. Then drop him when he’s not that player. Typical camp overreactions.

I think he's ranked a little low, but I don't think he's a top 100 player. Very good player relative to ND's recruiting, but like I said earlier, there is a visible gap between Nana and guys like Antonio Alfano and Nolan Smith in terms of length and twitch.

Just an observation, not an over reaction.

I think he's ranked a little low, but I don't think he's a top 100 player. Very good player relative to ND's recruiting, but like I said earlier, there is a visible gap between Nana and guys like Antonio Alfano and Nolan Smith in terms of length and twitch.

Just an observation, not an over reaction.

Took a few minutes to look over this years pro bowl team at Dline. 1 guy was a composite 100 player, Myles Garrett. Don't have a lot of time to go back years, but is this a one off? Or is Dline a difficult position to evaluate? Aaron Donald was the 30th ranked DT in 2010 and now is an all time great in the NFL.

Took a few minutes to look over this years pro bowl team at Dline. 1 guy was a composite 100 player, Myles Garrett. Don't have a lot of time to go back years, but is this a one off? Or is Dline a difficult position to evaluate? Aaron Donald was the 30th ranked DT in 2010 and now is an all time great in the NFL.

Linemen (OL and DL) are extremely hard to evaluate correctly in terms of who will be a future pro bowler. There is so much more than physical attributes needed to be a player of that caliber along the line. As I've long said, recruiting rankings cannot objectively evaluate intangibles and it is often toughness, intelligence and the want to that separates the very best players from the guys that come up just a little bit short.

“want to” an oft overlooked talent. Some guys think they ‘want’ but it lacks the passion and commitment.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT