ADVERTISEMENT

Question About Rees...

stu4don

I've posted how many times?
Dec 13, 2006
Do you guys know if he will now "go to school" a bit? I have heard of coaches going around the country (both college and NFL) to pick up new ideas, talk schemes, pick the brains of experts, etc.

Is that something that Kelly has done? Is it something Rees can do? Or is it enough to just study film, etc... to add new wrinkles to last year's offense? No need for the Kelly bashers or the Rees haters to reply... I'm interested in the opinions of people who know college football.

Do you guys know if he will now "go to school" a bit? I have heard of coaches going around the country (both college and NFL) to pick up new ideas, talk schemes, pick the brains of experts, etc.

Is that something that Kelly has done? Is it something Rees can do? Or is it enough to just study film, etc... to add new wrinkles to last year's offense? No need for the Kelly bashers or the Rees haters to reply... I'm interested in the opinions of people who know college football.
BK is pulling the strings. Thats why TR was hired. He will do whatever bk tells him to do. He doesn't need a "school" for that.

So there is no real school someone can go to other than the classroom of the film room. There are coaching seminars, conferences and clinics around the country where people get together to talk shop. Other than that it's just all up to you.

When I was coaching at west liberty I started as the videographer, filming practices, organizing tape, constructing the plays really learning the process. From that point I moved up after but didn't stay in the profession long enough to achieve much of anything more than assistant QB coach. Sat in on offensive meetings, team meetings and learned a lot.

The point here is, the journey is different for everyone and I assume that TR is well versed far beyond myself. He's not "run the circut" but you don't have to do that to be capable of success. Most football guys are 24/7 so I'm sure he's already doing the absolute most he can do to prepare for Navy.

I think ND, Kelly, and Rees will probably do more self scouting this off season then ever before. It's a great way to teach while also improving the entire offensive system.

If there is an offense that Kelly would like to be more similar to, say an LSU of this year, you may do a ton of research and film watching on them. Obviously LSU had unreal WRs this year, but they were still able to consistently get 1-1 matchups all over the field all season.

hmm. classic!

Reactions: rgc7

Usually that's done by a full staff, or maybe an offensive staff or defensive staff. I don't think individual coaches usually do it. But it is super common. Staff from ABC school spends a few days with staff of XYZ school, looking at how they do things, philosophies, program structure, etc. You are always going to learn something that lights a bulb, and you use it in your program. Occasionally you will get cross pollination between a college staff and an NFL staff too.

Kinda what I thought. For a young coach like Rees, I'm sure he's already done his share of this, and he'll have his hands full with recruiting and spring ball -- but I do hope they reach out for innovations, new ideas, etc. Thanks.

I read somewhere that Polian and TR were out on the recruiting trail together this week. I know BK likes to hook up with Belichick over the summer. They play a little golf and I imagine talk some football too. BK has gone to other coaches see how they run their programs. Only a fool wouldn't reach out too Parseghian, when he was alive, and Coach Holtz for advice, BK said he had weekly talks with Coach Parseghian and talks often with Coach Holtz. Eric Hansen said during his last interview with Coach Parseghian, Coach showed a room filled with filing cabinets; that contained game plans for every ND game since his retirement. It was one fascinating story that I'll never forget.

So there is no real school someone can go to other than the classroom of the film room. There are coaching seminars, conferences and clinics around the country where people get together to talk shop. Other than that it's just all up to you.

When I was coaching at west liberty I started as the videographer, filming practices, organizing tape, constructing the plays really learning the process. From that point I moved up after but didn't stay in the profession long enough to achieve much of anything more than assistant QB coach. Sat in on offensive meetings, team meetings and learned a lot.

The point here is, the journey is different for everyone and I assume that TR is well versed far beyond myself. He's not "run the circut" but you don't have to do that to be capable of success. Most football guys are 24/7 so I'm sure he's already doing the absolute most he can do to prepare for Navy.
There are lots of coaching clinics all around the country, where you can go o seminars and pick the brains of coaches and learn new ideas and buy their videos and books. Like continuing education for doctors

Reactions: deadirishpoet
Usually that's done by a full staff, or maybe an offensive staff or defensive staff. I don't think individual coaches usually do it. But it is super common. Staff from ABC school spends a few days with staff of XYZ school, looking at how they do things, philosophies, program structure, etc. You are always going to learn something that lights a bulb, and you use it in your program. Occasionally you will get cross pollination between a college staff and an NFL staff too.

Belichek's meeting with BK took place right before the BVG era.

Reactions: d1042
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT