ADVERTISEMENT

Pyne and Buchner

Apr 8, 2019
Pyne and Buchner are future QBs but who’s the #3 QB this year behind Ian and Phil?

Brendon clark, but in reality it may be avery davis if something happened to book and phil

2 other QB's on the roster (Carney and Henry) - not sure which of them is #3.

I know clark wasnt as high in the rankings, but hes also not going to be some pushover when pyne and then buchner come in. Hes going to compete to be the starter or 2nd at some point.

I know clark wasnt as high in the rankings, but hes also not going to be some pushover when pyne and then buchner come in. Hes going to compete to be the starter or 2nd at some point.

He’s a lot like Book in the fact he wasn’t ND’s first choice at QB, came in surrounded by highly ranked QB’s, just does what the coaches ask, wants to help the team, & will compete his tail off.

He’s a lot like Book in the fact he wasn’t ND’s first choice at QB, came in surrounded by highly ranked QB’s, just does what the coaches ask, wants to help the team, & will compete his tail off.
Saw he had 35/1 ratio and team won state. Also looks like a really good athlete. Maybe a little more pop in his arm

Saw he had 35/1 ratio and team won state. Also looks like a really good athlete. Maybe a little more pop in his arm

Yeah, both games I saw he didn’t need to do much. I think he threw like 14 passes, completing 12. Had 4 TDs & his team won both games by halftime.

Reactions: Kelso86
I know Avery is now on the defensive side, but, is he taking any QB snaps/drills just in case of a game time catastrophic event or has that ship sailed?

Long gone!
OK, Thanks. I just threw out that question because I see his name mentioned up in the thread as a possible QB replacement in an emergency. Not sure you can just plug the kid in at QB when he perhaps hasn't even went through even the minimal drills or snaps during practice. Maybe he is on his own time or even after practice. Who knows.

OK, Thanks. I just threw out that question because I see his name mentioned up in the thread as a possible QB replacement in an emergency. Not sure you can just plug the kid in at QB when he perhaps hasn't even went through even the minimal drills or snaps during practice. Maybe he is on his own time or even after practice. Who knows.
Taking all his reps on D ......apparently he’s showing quite a bit of improvement learning to play the position.....great athlete....hope it’s a successful transition.

He is still an emergency QB.
So in a real game, if Ian, Phil & Branden were all hurt, Davis would play over the two walk-ons who have gotten even less snaps combined in practice than Davis in his career.
If it was early in the season, so Clark hasn’t had time yet, & it’s a close game, I bet Davis gets the snaps.

If you are down to QB3 or walkons, does it matter? you are playing for draft choices!

If you are down to QB3 or walkons, does it matter? you are playing for draft choices!

Not if it’s just to finish a game.
Ask Clemson. Agsinst Syracuse they were down to their 3rd string QB, a former walk-on, & their season turned out pretty well.

OSU did well with a third stringer a few years back if I remember correctly.

"OSU did well with a third stringer a few years back if I remember correctly."

But he was also getting a lot of practice reps too -- remember, while he began the pre-season as a #3, once Miller was declared out for the year, he became #2 in fall camp and was getting a lot practice reps all year...so, in essence, he was a #2 QB

Not if it’s just to finish a game.
Ask Clemson. Agsinst Syracuse they were down to their 3rd string QB, a former walk-on, & their season turned out pretty well.

Voluntary insertion is not the same as last man standing.
And, you can getbyfor a Q or so,but not for multiple games.
Like baseball, the backup 2nd baseman gets the jobdone for a fewgames, but as time progresses he is what he is, a backup.

Like baseball, the backup 2nd baseman gets the jobdone for a fewgames, but as time progresses he is what he is, a backup.
That Montana fella was a third stringer i believe when he got his opportunity. worked out ok.

Reactions: Kelso86

It wasn’t voluntary insertion.
It was last man standing.
Kelly Bryan quit 3 days before, Trevor Lawrence got hurt during the game. The 3rd stringer, a former walk-on came in the game with Clemson trailing & played the entire 2nd half, & Clemson won.

Reactions: echowaker
It wasn’t voluntary insertion.
It was last man standing.
Kelly Bryan quit 3 days before, Trevor Lawrence got hurt during the game. The 3rd stringer, a former walk-on came in the game with Clemson trailing & played the entire 2nd half, & Clemson won.

But then TR was ready next game. Had they played the remainder of the games with the ‘last man standing’ Clemson’s season would probably been very different.

so just so you can go on record, which one of the ND 3rd+ string QB’s is the next Joe Montana, since you’re assumption is that they come along every day. Simple! You see a brown car in a parking lot so you think itis a ‘brown car parking lot’.

I think we are overlooking Brendan Clark. He is a fullback that can run and possesses a good arm. I think he could really thrive in a power spread offense. I wish that he was here in the spring but Phil really benefited from the extra reps.

so just so you can go on record, which one of the ND 3rd+ string QB’s is the next Joe Montana, since you’re assumption is that they come along every day. Simple! You see a brown car in a parking lot so you think itis a ‘brown car parking lot’.
i have no idea, just as you have no idea whether a third teamer will blossom or not. the point is its not unheard of for a player to emerge when the opportunity presents itself. feel free to write every non starting player off.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT