ADVERTISEMENT

Football Purdue head coach Ryan Walters' Monday press conference transcript

Eric Hansen

I've posted how many times?
Staff
Dec 31, 2021
Purdue Football head coach Ryan Walters spoke with the media in his weekly press conference as his team gets ready to take on Notre Dame on Saturday at Ross-Ade Stadium. A sell-out crowd awaits the Boilermakers in their first game battling for the Shillelagh Trophy since 2021.

Q. (In progress.) A lot of different ways you can spin it. Do you expect an angry Notre Dame team or a Notre Dame team filled with some doubt now?

RYAN WALTERS: You know, we're going to err on the side of thinking they're going to be an angry football team. Any time you're Top 5 in the country and lose the home opener, that's going to leave a bad taste in your mouth. I know Coach Freeman will have those guys fired up and ready to play.

We are fully anticipating getting their best shot.

Q. Do you see this as sort of an early prove-it game? Obviously for 2024, but your career as a head coach?

RYAN WALTERS: Yeah, I definitely think there is an element of proving it or earning respect. You know, I would be lying to you if I didn't say this game was circled on my calendar. You know, so we're excited. We're glad that we had a bye week to get some guys healthy. To get some extra prep in. We had a really good practice on Sunday. I'm anticipating having a really good week of practice this week and we'll line it up and go compete on Saturday.

Q. What were the one our two biggest things you think you were able to accomplish during your bye week?

RYAN WALTERS: Just you get back to like basics on fundamentals, technique, a lot of good on good just to maintain speed of the game. You also get a jump on early downs. We introduced third downs a little bit earlier than we usually do. Introduced red area a little bit earlier than we usually do.

Get a chance to get your legs back fresh coming off fall camp and that first game. So just you're continually improving. That's got to be the goal throughout the course of the year.

Q. Speaking of health, obviously no Nyland Green, CJ Smith on the depth chart. You said you were hopeful they would be ready. Are they for sure out or cautionary at this point?

RYAN WALTERS: Yeah, I wouldn't anticipate them being out there this week. They're close, really close. You watch them, I got to like not watch them work out in rehab. It's making me more excited wanting them to be out there.

But they're doing a great job just attacking every day, trying to get back healthy, champing at the bit to get out there. Our training staff and strength and conditioning program have collabed very well to put them in a position to get back as early as possible.

Q. We talked about this a couple weeks ago now. Seven different guys getting into the end zone. Not Mockobee; not Hudson; Drew Biber, some of these guys who are going to score a lot of touchdowns this year. Is this more indicative of how much depth have as far as receiving weapons, backfield weapons?

RYAN WALTERS: I do think obviously week ago we probably played more guys than you would anticipate playing in a normal game, so I think the numbers are a little bit skewed that way. The guys that got in early, that scored, you know, the good thing about our offense is the ball can find anybody. Just depends on what the defense is presenting and how they're reacting post-snap.

You know, Hudson does a great job spreading the ball around and not forcing the issue, taking what the defense gives him.

Q. Graham said you made a concerted effort to make sure Jahmal got the ball early. First two were screens to him. How valuable is it for him to get in the flow of a game when he hasn't played in two years?

RYAN WALTERS: Yeah, that's exactly why we did it. Just spit it out to him. Let him take that first contact. Get him get the juices flowing a little bit, get his first reception, and then let's go tempo and do it again.

I just think it allowed him to sort of settle into it, get the cobwebs out of there, and get used to taking a blow.

Q. What is your appreciation of the history here? Talking about the gravity of Notre Dame, but also the rivalry that exists here. When you took this job you knew you were coming into an extended period where that would be an annual thing.

RYAN WALTERS: Yeah, I'm a football fan, you know what I mean? You talk about Notre Dame. Obviously my dad played at Colorado in the late '80s, early '90s, so Notre Dame was like their arch nemesis in the National Championship game.

I remember the Rocket Ismail days and all the great players that have come through there. So to be able to host a ranked Notre Dame team at home in Ross-Ade in front of the best and loyal fans out there, like it's a special moment.

I'm excited for it. I know our guys are excited for it. So it'll be fun to go out there and compete.

Q. Did you have specific memories of Notre Dame maybe that you related to you?

RYAN WALTERS: You know, I remember Rocket took a punt return back and there was a phantom holding call which led to Colorado winning the game. That's probably the most pivotal play I remember.

Q. What's the biggest difference you're seeing right now in Antonio Stevens from a year ago to now?

RYAN WALTERS: I think he's a lot more confident with what he's doing. You know, I think the Michigan game sort of validated his belief in what he's capable of doing.

And then us as a staff trusting him to be the starter in that position. And that's an important position in our defense, our scheme.

So he's more comfortable, confident with what we're asking him to do. I've been really impressed with his leadership and his willingness to hold other people accountable. He's a guy that's been around here for a long time and has overcome a lot of adversity, has been resilient. I think guys in the locker room respect that.

He works at it. Like he's diligent in his craft. You respect his preparation. I think that's why he's playing with confidence right now.

Q. More general question: As the Big10 has expanded coast to coast, now the west coast footprint, has it changed at all the approach in recruiting at least in terms of how much you're looking out there? Changed at all the response you're getting out there?

RYAN WALTERS: Not really. Still time on task. Still three time zones away from the west coast. It's a long travel day. It's not worth it really to go all the way out there when you got a bunch of talent within a two-and-a-half to three-hour driving radius.

It's awesome that you get to see different venues and play against different storied programs, but there would have to be a prior relationship or a guy reaching out to say he's interested for us to travel that far and skip over a bunch of talented guys right in your backyard.

Q. When you recruited Tanona, did you think there was any possibility he would be on the field for you right away or did you take him as a year two, year three guy?

RYAN WALTERS: I didn't really know what to think. You watch his high school tape and you're like, yeah, you see why he was rated as high as he was and recruited as hard as he was.

So when we decided to take him I think the thing that I was most excited about was his excitement, like his willingness and desire to be a Purdue Boilermaker and to play football again. His excitement and passion for that led me to believe it would be a quick turnaround.

And then just the way he went to work when he got here and changed his body and kind of got back into the swing of things from a technique standpoint. You know, his mindset and study is -- that's why it's not surprising he's been able to give us some quality minutes right now.

Q. You and Marcus have had a relatively similar career arch. Do you know him or feel any sort of kinship with him?

RYAN WALTERS: You talking about Coach Freeman?

Q. Marcus Freeman.

RYAN WALTERS: You went Joey Tanona and said Marcus; I thought you were talking about Marcus Johnson. You're good. The thing that's unique about this profession is everybody's career path is different and there is no blueprint for success, right?

I think the thing that I've sort of admired from afar is just the quick rise, the consistent success and consistent play on the defensive side of the ball. Obviously I'm a defensive guy, so you study a little bit. You pay attention to people that are also playing good defense, and he's definitely done that.

You know, I was happy as heck for him when Notre Dame decided to hire him as the head coach when Coach Kelly went to LSU. I thought that was a bold and deserving response to that departure.

So, yeah, I have a lot of respect for him. Can't wait to go compete against him.

Q. The Notre Dame secondary came into the year with a lot of hype. Mostly backed it up the first two games. What makes them so good from what you've seen on tape?

RYAN WALTERS: You know, obviously they've got some experience on the back end. They're athletic. They play some man coverage and they understand where their help is and where they can get beat.

I think that experience and also the two teams they've played, they haven't stretched them a whole lot either, but you can tell it's a group that's played a lot together and is well versed with what they're doing schematically.

Q. How did you spend your Saturday, Ryan?

RYAN WALTERS: Watching a lot of the ball. Saw a soccer game also with my eight year old. And then, yeah, went home and watched a lot of football.

Q. I think I know the answer just going to ask for confirmation: Corey Stewart and (indiscernible) will play on Saturday?

RYAN WALTERS: Yes.

Reactions: IrishInTheBluegrass
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.