ADVERTISEMENT

Pretty incredible they just keep lining up $$$$

88ND

I've posted how many times?
Sep 9, 2013
While great the brand Notre Dame is a monster all by itself.....

It's pretty incredible just how gigantic it is and the clout it still has. Given it's been seemingly an eternity 31 years since a title and honestly 25 or so years since it was a yearly bonafide contender.

It's a two prong issue though because on the other hand given the above lore that it remains a highly sought after product without being relevant amid the elite....keep on keeping on with the average football product and the business partners keep knocking on the door.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...leprechauns-notre-dame-teams-up-with-fanatics

It's a great thing in one hand...and the other not so good.

It doesn't lend itself toward being accountable for on field performance if they continue lining up for ND the monster brand.

Doesn't really matter what's going on with the football team now does it. People just keep buying it up.

Until $$$ are in jeopardy the university won't get serious about the program.

Reactions: Buguit
I wonder about the slope, if someone graphed ND's Wins vs Gross Revenue.

Reactions: 88ND

It doesn't lend itself toward being accountable for on field performance if they continue lining up for ND the monster brand.

Doesn't really matter what's going on with the football team now does it. People just keep buying it up.

33 and 6. The program is in good hands right now.

Brilliant on all fronts ... Fanatics is an incredible Silicon Valley story, SFDC is a great story in its own right and ND continues to find ways to ensure its relevance as a leader and pioneer for years to come. Go Irish.

Reactions: Catholicfan95

This just shows you know absolutely nothing about business 88. So you are telling me that programs and sports teams' revenue, deals, and worth should be based off on the field success? That just is not a good business model. Every team, pro to college wants to grow their brand, very few have the capability to do that even if there on field performance is less than exceptional. To suggest that this is a negative is literally insane, why is it a bad thing to ensure your brand for generations? To me, that is like saying "well the yankees missed the Championship for 10 straight years, they do not deserve the business of anyone else".

@Shulkswagen "Brilliant on all fronts ... Fanatics is an incredible Silicon Valley story, SFDC is a great story in its own right and ND continues to find ways to ensure its relevance as a leader and pioneer for years to come. Go Irish." this is perfect and is perfectly said.

This argument you are making just does not make any sense, if anything it shows that you are operating in a bubble.

Last edited:
If ND were to go all-in on football success, it would be for pride and not money. I posted the Forbes list in another thread of the highest revenue football programs. A generous estimate of the $ difference between success and failure on the field is $20M per year.

There are many examples in the recent past of a single donation or a single investment decision that has affected the university's bottom line far more than $20M. Football matters, money-wise, but it's nowhere near the top of the priority list.

This just shows you know absolutely nothing about business 88. So you are telling me that programs and sports teams' revenue, deals, and worth should be based off on the field success? That just is not a good business model. Every team, pro to college wants to grow their brand, very few have the capability to do that even if there on field performance is less than exceptional. To suggest that this is a negative is literally insane, why is it a bad thing to ensure your brand for generations? To me, that is like saying "well the yankees missed the Championship for 10 straight years, they do not deserve the business of anyone else".

@Shulkswagen "Brilliant on all fronts ... Fanatics is an incredible Silicon Valley story, SFDC is a great story in its own right and ND continues to find ways to ensure its relevance as a leader and pioneer for years to come. Go Irish." this is perfect and is perfectly said.

This argument you are making just does not make any sense, if anything it shows that you are operating in a bubble.
I think you are misinterpreting the argument. He is saying it’s bad because in theory the biggest way to trigger change in the ADs office is to hit the pocket book. If the brand is so strong that performance doesn’t affect the revenue then in theory the team could be meh for years and as long as they aren’t garbage the AD won’t do anything because they don’t feel the heat of lost revenue

Reactions: NDinNJ
I think you are misinterpreting the argument. He is saying it’s bad because in theory the biggest way to trigger change in the ADs office is to hit the pocket book. If the brand is so strong that performance doesn’t affect the revenue then in theory the team could be meh for years and as long as they aren’t garbage the AD won’t do anything because they don’t feel the heat of lost revenue

And if your brands success is based only by on the field success then you don't have a top tier brand. ND is a top tier brand, the Yankees, Cowboys, Knicks are all top tier brands and all very mediocre really (recent history), but they've all made changes. The thing is brands like these can afford to be patient before the fire or hire someone, and that's a good thing. If you have to win to keep your monetary value high then you probably aren't making good business decisions.

ND had no issues firing everyone after Lou, sorry if they are hesitant to fire a proven winner. 88 tries to spin this to spew his dislike for Kelly and it's obvious.

And if your brands success is based only by on the field success then you don't have a top tier brand. ND is a top tier brand, the Yankees, Cowboys, Knicks are all top tier brands and all very mediocre really (recent history), but they've all made changes. The thing is brands like these can afford to be patient before the fire or hire someone, and that's a good thing. If you have to win to keep your monetary value high then you probably aren't making good business decisions.

ND had no issues firing everyone after Lou, sorry if they are hesitant to fire a proven winner. 88 tries to spin this to spew his dislike for Kelly and it's obvious.
I think the cowboys and knicks work against you and the yanks aren’t analogous. This isn’t my argument but the premise is if BK isn’t the one to take the team to the mountain top the ADs office is less likely to do anything of not getting to the mountain top doesn’t affect the bottom line. Jerry stayed with JASON Garret at least 2 seasons too long because he was going to feel it financially if he let his personal feelings override logic. The Knicks are ran by Dolan who literally doesn’t care he is terrible at running a team because he packs the garden at all times. The Yanks are ran by the Steinbrenners. The old man would have fired Cashman already but the kids don’t care because again they make $$$$. Difference with the yanks is that ownership gives Cash the money to make it work he just isn’t great at it.

I think the cowboys and knicks work against you and the yanks aren’t analogous. This isn’t my argument but the premise is if BK isn’t the one to take the team to the mountain top the ADs office is less likely to do anything of not getting to the mountain top doesn’t affect the bottom line. Jerry stayed with JASON Garret at least 2 seasons too long because he was going to feel it financially if he let his personal feelings override logic. The Knicks are ran by Dolan who literally doesn’t care he is terrible at running a team because he packs the garden at all times. The Yanks are ran by the Steinbrenners. The old man would have fired Cashman already but the kids don’t care because again they make $$$$. Difference with the yanks is that ownership gives Cash the money to make it work he just isn’t great at it.

I was trying to point out that those teams, regardless of wins/losses will generate huge money because of the brand.

Point is NDs revenue and this deal have nothing to do with moving on from BK. NDs made huge money for 35 years since the last "big win" and did before, they always will and it doesn't impact decisions. They've moved on from coaches plenty of times in a hurry. It's hard now because BK is a proven winner and we haven't had it in a long time so it's tougher to let go. All this crap above is just a way to spin the narrative.

It's making something out of nothing, it's not applicable at all.

It's pretty incredible just how gigantic it is and the clout it still has. Given it's been seemingly an eternity 31 years since a title and honestly 25 or so years since it was a yearly bonafide contender.

It's a two prong issue though because on the other hand given the above lore that it remains a highly sought after product without being relevant amid the elite....keep on keeping on with the average football product and the business partners keep knocking on the door.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...leprechauns-notre-dame-teams-up-with-fanatics
Seems to me this applies to you as well. You hate the head chef yet keep coming to the restaurant.

The chicago Flubs have done this for years. Fans keep showing up although the product stinks. Yeah they got lucky one year (Clevelands pitching staff lost 3 starters), but they are going down hill fast. But the idiot fans will still pack the rat infested trash can they call wrigley, and hang out and spend money in uppity wrigleyville.

Reactions: sluggo69
I was trying to point out that those teams, regardless of wins/losses will generate huge money because of the brand.

Point is NDs revenue and this deal have nothing to do with moving on from BK. NDs made huge money for 35 years since the last "big win" and did before, they always will and it doesn't impact decisions. They've moved on from coaches plenty of times in a hurry. It's hard now because BK is a proven winner and we haven't had it in a long time so it's tougher to let go. All this crap above is just a way to spin the narrative.

It's making something out of nothing, it's not applicable at all.
No one disagrees that the brands make huge money. Making huge money regardless of wins encourages stagnation in theory. With BK I get it. Cannot, absolutely cannot, fire a coach after the last 3 seasons. On the other hand a lot of people think while he is good he isn’t great enough to get ND any closer then they already are. If you don’t move on from a coach who can’t take you to the mountain top you are accepting that it’s ok to never get to the mountain top.

Reactions: Catholicfan95
No one disagrees that the brands make huge money. Making huge money regardless of wins encourages stagnation in theory. With BK I get it. Cannot, absolutely cannot, fire a coach after the last 3 seasons. On the other hand a lot of people think while he is good he isn’t great enough to get ND any closer then they already are. If you don’t move on from a coach who can’t take you to the mountain top you are accepting that it’s ok to never get to the mountain top.
This requires the belief that ND football is driven by revenue and profit. But in recent years they have made moves that do not indicate that. Especially with regards to snubbing the Big 10, and the affiliation with the ACC.

I understand the sentiment, I honestly do. I'm just not really one to take a positive story and spin it into a negative. I do get it though, it's just a lot of explaining to make the point, you made good points and well explained

Even more sad is to think how the brand would expand if they did get serious about trying to win a National Championship.

Reactions: 88ND
Even more sad is to think how the brand would expand if they did get serious about trying to win a National Championship.
Exactly...the brand is a monster and hasn't won a major bowl since the 94 (93 season) cotton against R.C. Slocum's Aggies.

Imagine if we had a real bonafide good coach and could compete with any team in college on any stage.

Two years ago ND beat LSU in a bowl game. That is how quickly it can turn around with the right coach. Does ND have the guts to make that call like LSU did?

This requires the belief that ND football is driven by revenue and profit. But in recent years they have made moves that do not indicate that. Especially with regards to snubbing the Big 10, and the affiliation with the ACC.

A short term money grab can wane the school's power in the long run. Exhibit A = Nebraska.

Wasn't that decision based on being allowed to be a partial member?
I could be wrong but I think the Big 10(big14-16) lol...was all or nothing to join.

We absolutely cherish our football independence

Two years ago ND beat LSU in a bowl game. That is how quickly it can turn around with the right coach. Does ND have the guts to make that call like LSU did?

ND can't play the game the way LSU does. They can't get guys in that LSU can. And LSU has always been dirty paying players at some level. I found their admin statement that OBJ was passing out fake money hilarious. They think everyone is stupid. Sadly a lot of people are.

ND can compete legally IMO. If they paid their assts more we could put together an all star coaching staff that can recruit. Unfortunately they won't and the best asst coaches/recruiters go to other school because the $$ is better or they can't stand working with Kelly any more. Imagine how all the offensive coaches with 10x more experience feel when Kelly gives the OC job to his pet Rees. Some guys are probably pissed. Kelly's answer? Give Taylor a made up title.

Reactions: chitown sot
ND can't play the game the way LSU does. They can't get guys in that LSU can. And LSU has always been dirty paying players at some level. I found their admin statement that OBJ was passing out fake money hilarious. They think everyone is stupid. Sadly a lot of people are.

ND can compete legally IMO. If they paid their assts more we could put together an all star coaching staff that can recruit. Unfortunately they won't and the best asst coaches/recruiters go to other school because the $$ is better or they can't stand working with Kelly any more. Imagine how all the offensive coaches with 10x more experience feel when Kelly gives the OC job to his pet Rees. Some guys are probably pissed. Kelly's answer? Give Taylor a made up title.
I agree and disagree.

You might be correct about LSU and paying but I don't convict anyone until is proven.
Look at the social media today. That alone...there are entirely way too many loose lips in 2020 that would sink the ship.
Think about this if you will...

Player A and player B both offered by LSU and Notre Dame. Player B choses ND and asks player A why he chose LSU. These players have become friends through camps and all star games. They communicate regularly.

Player A just simply texts back $$$$. Or something of the like.

This is one tiny example of a million scenarios that could happen in the world of pay for play. People in 2020 are way too jealous..."what about me"...they are too self centered with facebook and Instagram wanting people to "look at me"

There's no way in hell this stuff could maintain a lid on it present day.

Hell even on LSU.....the corner back got less than the receiver...think he'll sit still for that all the while keeping the whole thing a secret?

NO WAY.

The agreeing part is this...

If ND wants to get serious they need to open the vault. They could be setting the bar yearly with coaching salaries and still have more than everyone else left over in the safe.
While not published it won't take long for the reputation to spread like a brush fire our willingness to open the check book.
Coaches talk. They know.
$$$$ will always grab the attention of the very best.

So being one of very few teams playing for the National Championship in 2 of the last 7 years is chopped liver ?

Nothing like revisionist history I guess !

So being one of very few teams playing for the National Championship in 2 of the last 7 years is chopped liver ?

Nothing like revisionist history I guess !
Is that what I said?

Didn't think so.

Next

Wasn't that decision based on being allowed to be a partial member?
I could be wrong but I think the Big 10(big14-16) lol...was all or nothing to join.

We absolutely cherish our football independence
The decision was about football, and remaining independent. But the money to join the Big Ten was huge, with the prospect of it growing quickly. We eschewed the money to remain independent, which is counter to some people’s premise that every decision is about money.

Reactions: tbonesays
The decision was about football, and remaining independent. But the money to join the Big Ten was huge, with the prospect of it growing quickly. We eschewed the money to remain independent, which is counter to some people’s premise that every decision is about money.
When I hear the money talk it isn't about being greedy but rather it's about being stingy.

ND has plenty of $$$$ and with it being a private school a lot of financials aren't disclosed. Salaries need not be disclosed nor endorsement deals.
People can speculate but in the end they don't really know just how lucrative some of ND's deals really are.

The only big $$$ I think they would have missed out on is shared football bowl money that's tied in with the Big 10 and it really only impacts ND in years we don't make a major bowl. Major bowl years with the big payday that we don't share it's not missing out on much at all.

The chatter in regards to money and ND I hear have to do with being stringy. The spending of said money or lack thereof. The fact that everything is kept hush hush it's only speculation from all sides.

When I hear the money talk it isn't about being greedy but rather it's about being stingy.

ND has plenty of $$$$ and with it being a private school a lot of financials aren't disclosed. Salaries need not be disclosed nor endorsement deals.
People can speculate but in the end they don't really know just how lucrative some of ND's deals really are.

The only big $$$ I think they would have missed out on is shared football bowl money that's tied in with the Big 10 and it really only impacts ND in years we don't make a major bowl. Major bowl years with the big payday that we don't share it's not missing out on much at all.

The chatter in regards to money and ND I hear have to do with being stringy. The spending of said money or lack thereof. The fact that everything is kept hush hush it's only speculation from all sides.

I post on a lot of foreign boards. I use the analogy: Americans would have made more money in the short term if we'd remained loyal subjects of the British Empire.

How does making the college football national championship in 2 out of 7 years equate to an “average football product” ? ? ?

How does making the college football national championship in 2 out of 7 years equate to ”without being relevant amid the elite” ? ? ?

Those are direct quotes from you, both are absurd in the face of the fact that ND was one of the very few teams to make the National Championship playoffs in 2 of the last 7 years.

How does making the college football national championship in 2 out of 7 years equate to an “average football product” ? ? ?

How does making the college football national championship in 2 out of 7 years equate to ”without being relevant amid the elite” ? ? ?

Those are direct quotes from you, both are absurd in the face of the fact that ND was one of the very few teams to make the National Championship playoffs in 2 of the last 7 years.
They AREN'T relevant AMID the elites.
Just because they had the good fortune of playing in those games doesn't mean they are relevant among the very elite teams. Bama was elite in 12. We played them. I'm pretty sure we attended the game and fielded a team. That's the beginning, middle and end.
We made the playoff in 18. Again we fielded a team and attended the game but I think we're still trying to cross the 50 yard line as we speak. In 2018 we could only muster 3 points? Literally scored 7 points less than that juggernaut of an offense from Pittsburgh scored on the defense we faced. In the slop mind you. We.....got a field goal.

You can quote me all you want but the problem is it makes no sense to you because it's not fantasy. It's reality. We aren't elite. In a regular season affair we get ckose but always find a way to lose those games.
With a month to prepare we get demolished and our coach exposed as fools gold. You can buy it if you'd like but I refuse to buy anything that isn't genuine.

Just because they had the good fortune of playing in those games doesn't mean they are relevant among the very elite teams. Bama was elite in 12. We played them. I'm pretty sure we attended the game and fielded a team. That's the beginning, middle and end.
We made the playoff in 18. Again we fielded a team and attended the game but I think we're still trying to cross the 50 yard line as we speak. In 2018 we could only muster 3 points? Literally scored 7 points less than that juggernaut of an offense from Pittsburgh scored on the defense we faced. In the slop mind you. We.....got a field goal.

You can quote me all you want but the problem is it makes no sense to you because it's not fantasy. It's reality. We aren't elite. In a regular season affair we get ckose but always find a way to lose those games.
With a month to prepare we get demolished and our coach exposed as fools gold. You can buy it if you'd like but I refuse to buy anything that isn't genuine.
We may not be elite, but we are 100% clearly relevant. Ask Georgia and Clemson fans. We just pulled a 4.17 million TV rating on a bowl game played at noon time, going up against a NY6 bowl game.

We may not be elite, but we are 100% clearly relevant. Ask Georgia and Clemson fans. We just pulled a 4.17 million TV rating on a bowl game played at noon time, going up against a NY6 bowl game.
I didn't say we were IRRELEVANT.

Among the elites we aren't relevant on the field of play.

The post seemed pretty crystal.

To summarize.... it's pretty amazing just how big the brand is considering we haven't won a major bowl game since the 94 cotton bowl (93 season) and the fact that at present we're not relevant pitted against the elites(on the field). Last time I checked it's why people are cheering or jeering...the on field product.

“Aren’t relevant amid the elites” ? ? ?

When ND is only one of two teams playing for the National Championship, they are elite.

When ND is only one of only four teams playing for the National Championship, they are elite.

Both statements are irrefutable!

I post on a lot of foreign boards. I use the analogy: Americans would have made more money in the short term if we'd remained loyal subjects of the British Empire.

Not in a million years !

Oh look a unicorn! And I fart rainbow colors! Yes let'sbut together a all star staff. Bill Belichick can coach the defense and what the hell let's bring back Fat Ass Charlie to call plays. And Urban can be the head coach and let him bring in Aaron Hernandez type players.

There I have done the work for you guys who can not answer the question "who are you going to bring which is better the BK?"

Oh look a unicorn! And I fart rainbow colors! Yes let'sbut together a all star staff. Bill Belichick can coach the defense and what the hell let's bring back Fat Ass Charlie to call plays. And Urban can be the head coach and let him bring in Aaron Hernandez type players.

There I have done the work for you guys who can not answer the question "who are you going to bring which is better the BK?"

YAAAAAAWWWWWWNNNNNN

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT