ADVERTISEMENT

Predictions for 2017 gama by game

Duo

ND Expert
Jul 23, 2006
Temple - W

Ga. - L Too much talent from a team that has had 3 years to put it all together although home field should be an advantage for ND.

at BC - L This game will be a big surprise as the underdog/over matched Eagles pull off the upset on their home field.

at MSU - L Again the home field advantage will give well coached Sparty the win. [Last year's loss was 36-28].

Miami OH - W

at UNC - L Amazing offense, home field advantage [concerns for ND about traveling to USC] looks like a shoot out.

USC - L The Trojans won't be in the coliseum but it won't matter. All you had to do was watch the Rose Bowl last year and watch them run up 52 points on Penn St. Way too much talent and better coaching. [last year's loss was 45-27].

NC State - W Depending on the weather! You never know and never say never! When it rains......run the ball !! [Last year's loss was 10-3].

Wake - W

at Miami - L Miami is loaded with talent, well coached and looking for a revenge win from last year. Miami has the home field advantage if there is such a thing at Miami. This year it could go down to the last play. Vegas has Miami a 6 point favorite in this game. [Last year's win was 30-27]

Navy - W ND should always beat military academies because they have less talent and they're smaller and slower. After all ND won this game 43 years in a row !! [Last year's loss was 28-27].

at Stanford - L Stanford has a coach that is a proven winner, home field advantage and they will be shooting for a major Bowl.

2017 looks like 5-7 or 6-6 with an outside possibility of a bowl game depending on the number of bowls available and the W/L records of other teams. Vegas is predicting 7-5.

ND's goal is to make it to a bowl game. The best Bowls are the New Year's 6, playoffs and NC. Last years Bowls were among the all time best in College Football history.

Last edited:
You continue to show your contempt for ND. You've underestimated our team big time. I hope we can revisit this post in December.

too bad they don't have a dislike button. IMO you will see a significant turnaround on defense and an improvement on offense. We are stocked at the skin positions with a QB who has a rocketWe have an edge rusher... a better defensive scheme that doesn't provide paralysis by analysis... above average athletes at most positions and overall better coaching especially on special teams.

Reactions: Telx1
too bad they don't have a dislike button. IMO you will see a significant turnaround on defense and an improvement on offense. We are stocked at the skin positions with a QB who has a rocketWe have an edge rusher... a better defensive scheme that doesn't provide paralysis by analysis... above average athletes at most positions and overall better coaching especially on special teams.

Shabak,

"overall better coaching"??

Really.....how do you know? How about letting the DC and the OC coach a few games before making any judgements. And BTW, this is similar to the predictions for last year and we saw how that turned out. If ND does better than this with first year coaches that will be great. Until then the jury is still out.
This is only a message board. What are your predictions game by game?

Temple - W

Ga. - L Too much talent from a team that has had 3 years to put it all together although home field should be an advantage for ND.

at BC - L This game will be a big surprise as the underdog/over matched Eagles pull off the upset on their home field.

at MSU - L Again the home field advantage will give well coached Sparty the win. [Last year's loss was 36-28].

Miami OH - W

at UNC - L Amazing offense, home field advantage [concerns for ND about traveling to USC] looks like a shoot out.

USC - L The Trojans won't be in the coliseum but it won't matter. All you had to do was watch the Rose Bowl last year and watch them run up 52 points on Penn St. Way too much talent and better coaching. [last year's loss was 45-27].

NC State - W Depending on the weather! You never know and never say never! When it rains......run the ball !! [Last year's loss was 10-3].

Wake - W

at Miami - L Miami is loaded with talent, well coached and looking for a revenge win from last year. Miami has the home field advantage if there is such a thing at Miami. This year it could go down to the last play. Vegas has Miami a 6 point favorite in this game. [Last year's win was 30-27]

Navy - W ND should always beat military academies because they have less talent and they're smaller and slower. After all ND won this game 43 years in a row !! [Last year's loss was 28-27].

at Stanford - L Stanford has a coach that is a proven winner, home field advantage and they will be shooting for a major Bowl.

2017 looks like 5-7 or 6-6 with an outside possibility of a bowl game depending on the number of bowls available and the W/L records of other teams. Vegas is predicting 7-5.

ND's goal is to make it to a bowl game. The best Bowls are the New Year's 6, playoffs and NC. Last years Bowls were among the all time best in College Football history.
Four more years!

T- W
GA- L
BC- W
MSU - W
M- W
NC- W
SC- L
NCS- W
WK- W
M- L
N- W
S- L

8-4. But!!!! Kelly is always good for a loss you never expected. So I'll go with BC and a 7-5 season. It's a way tougher schedule than last year too.

ND is a bball school folks.

You continue to show your contempt for ND. You've underestimated our team big time. I hope we can revisit this post in December.
Some people were saying the same thing you just did last year at this time. Then ND went 4-8. You can never have confidence in what will happen as long as Kelly is the coach. Trust me, he isn't good at this level.

There will be little, if any, home field advantage for the Georgia game. I know I sound like a broken record but there will be a sea of red in that stadium. First trip to ND for the Georgia players and fans. Prime time game. Maybe "College Game Day" will make an appearance. If ND wants to win this game it's going to be man against man. On the field. Energy will be supplied by both fan bases but it will be won player against player.

Reactions: TOMMY_23
Duo the OP is a Nole fan. He is not a fan of ND and specializes in posts that pimp and irritates Irish fans. He was banned but guess finally figured out that he was given new posting life with the format change.

Let's just hope Insta-Gator never figures out that he's free from the cornfield.

Last edited:
Duo the OP is a Nole fan. He is not a fan of ND and specializes in posts that pimp and irritates Irish fans. He was banned but guess finally figured out that he was given new posting life with the format chance.

Let's just hope Insta-Gator never figures out that he's free from the cornfield.

Hi Alice,
Always nice to hear from you. Are you psyched up for another great year of CFB? It would really be nice to hear your 2017 game by game predictions for ND. Believe it or not Alice I am rooting for ND and hope they go bowling. However, I don't honestly have much confidence in BK. I questioned his scheme from the beginning while watching how Saban, Meyer, Fisher, Swinney, Petrino and others evolved and modified their schemes. Last year's Orange Bowl and Rose Bowl games were absolutely thrilling.........everything you could ask for in a CFB game and then some! I'm sure you were proudly rooting for your fellow ACC teams especially when Harbaugh, Saban and Meyer all went down to the ACC! :)

One thing about this season, no matter how it turns out we can all look forward to November 10th, 2018 when the Florida State Seminoles go to South Bend to take on the Notre Dame fighting Irish. Another classic!

Last edited:
What I STILL don't get is all the negativity for a team people supposedly are fans of?

I want the best possible outcome at all times. I could care less who the coach is? People are so anti one person they have actually allowed it to cloud their judgment & ruin their season?

We know a few of you want to lose to Temple. You want to be bad. You would rather ND go 0-12 so you can say "I told you so" rather than root for your team?

I'm neutral to all coaches. I get mad at some play calls also, but I still want ND to win no matter what.

My realistic pick is 8-4. We beat somebody in an upset & we lose to someone we shouldn't because of scheduling. I don't like Navy sandwiched between road games at Miami & Stanford. That has trap written all over it.

Reactions: deadirishpoet
Hi Alice,
Always nice to hear from you. Are you psyched up for another great year of CFB? It would really be nice to hear your 2017 game by game predictions for ND. Believe it or not Alice I am rooting for ND and hope they go bowling. However, I don't honestly have much confidence in BK. I questioned his scheme from the beginning while watching how Saban, Meyer, Fisher, Swinney, Petrino and others evolved and modified their schemes. Last year's Orange Bowl and Rose Bowl games were absolutely thrilling.........everything you could ask for in a CFB game and then some! I'm sure you were proudly rooting for your fellow ACC teams especially when Harbaugh, Saban and Meyer all went down to the ACC! :)

One thing about this season, no matter how it turns out we can all look forward to November 10th, 2018 when the Florida State Seminoles go to South Bend to take on the Notre Dame fighting Irish. Another classic!

Duo, I root for ND and not a conference.
So you took your anti-ND threads to the Chant Premium Board, huh? You have posted more about the Irish upcoming football schedule on Chant's Tribal Council than all of the Irish posters here at Blue&Gold. I read the Chant's Sport's Board and know that you thoroughly enjoyed ND tanking last season from your postings.
I don't make predictions on a season until I see a team play a couple of games. I do hope that the Irish make your words look very stupid by winning the games you're predicting they lose.

What I STILL don't get is all the negativity for a team people supposedly are fans of?

I want the best possible outcome at all times. I could care less who the coach is? People are so anti one person they have actually allowed it to cloud their judgment & ruin their season?

We know a few of you want to lose to Temple. You want to be bad. You would rather ND go 0-12 so you can say "I told you so" rather than root for your team?

I'm neutral to all coaches. I get mad at some play calls also, but I still want ND to win no matter what.

My realistic pick is 8-4. We beat somebody in an upset & we lose to someone we shouldn't because of scheduling. I don't like Navy sandwiched between road games at Miami & Stanford. That has trap written all over it.
I too am going to say 8 - 4 with hopes of 10- 2

Temple - W

Miami OH - W

Wake - W

If ND starts out 1-3 with L's to three bad teams Kelly will be gone by week 5. No way ND loses to BC and State.

Duo, I root for ND and not a conference.
So you took your anti-ND threads to the Chant Premium Board, huh? You have posted more about the Irish upcoming football schedule on Chant's Tribal Council than all of the Irish posters here at Blue&Gold. I read the Chant's Sport's Board and know that you thoroughly enjoyed ND tanking last season from your postings.
I don't make predictions on a season until I see a team play a couple of games. I do hope that the Irish make your words look very stupid by winning the games you're predicting they lose.

Alice,

Re: "I root for ND and not a conference."

OK, just keep in mind that you are part of a Conference.....the ACC. 5/12ths or 42% in football and 100% in most other sports. That means it's OK for you to take pride in seeing your Conference affiliates beat teams from other Conferences and thus greatly increase your pleasure and experiences involving CFB. For example, you could have had great fun rooting for fellow Conference member Clemson in beating Alabama and winning yet another National Championship for the ACC. Or, this coming September 2nd you could have a lot of fun watching two of CFB's most powerful teams go at it with NC implications for the ACC and the SEC when FSU and Alabama play their first game in Atlanta in the new Mercedes Benz Stadium. So, give it a try.......expand your interests to the rest of your Conference and enjoy all the games. I think you will really like it. :)

PS. And one day in the future when you see ND playing for the ACC Conference Championship you will really be having fun!!

Last edited:
I am not a coach Kelly fan. However, after the new coaching acquisitions, I believe ND could have a double digit winning season. MSU is in so much turmoil both on and off the field, I don't see them winning more than 4 or 5 games.

Some people were saying the same thing you just did last year at this time. Then ND went 4-8. You can never have confidence in what will happen as long as Kelly is the coach. Trust me, he isn't good at this level.

I think the absence of known experienced top QB's, (aside from Darnold, and possibly to a lesser degree Eason) on the ND schedule makes the schedule less demanding.

Last edited:
Alice,

Re: "I root for ND and not a conference."

OK, just keep in mind that you are part of a Conference.....the ACC. 5/12ths or 42% in football and 100% in most other sports. That means it's OK for you to take pride in seeing your Conference affiliates beat teams from other Conferences and thus greatly increase your pleasure and experiences involving CFB. For example, you could have had great fun rooting for fellow Conference member Clemson in beating Alabama and winning yet another National Championship for the ACC. Or, this coming September 2nd you could have a lot of fun watching two of CFB's most powerful teams go at it with NC implications for the ACC and the SEC when FSU and Alabama play their first game in Atlanta in the new Mercedes Benz Stadium. So, give it a try.......expand your interests to the rest of your Conference and enjoy all the games. I think you will really like it. :)

PS. And one day in the future when you see ND playing for the ACC Conference Championship you will really be having fun!!

I have seen ND win ACC Conference Championships.

ND football is not a part of the ACC.

The Bama and Nole game is a game where I wish a 0 to 0 tie could end the game.

Duo, conference honking? Thought that was a SEC thingy.

Last edited:
Reactions: deadirishpoet
I have seen ND win ACC Conference Championships.

ND football is not a part of the ACC.

The Bama and Nole game is a game where I wish 0 to 0 tie could end the game.

Duo, conference honking? Thought that was a SEC thingy.

Alice,

Re: "I have seen ND win ACC Conference Championships."

Oh really???

And this one: "ND football is not a part of the ACC."

Best go check with Jack Swarbrick as he is very proud of Notre Dame's affiliation and membership in the ACC!

And regarding a dislike for other members of the ACC besides ND........it's too bad really that you can't enjoy CFB to a greater extent. That is however, your prerogative even though there is a whole world of fun, entertainment and enjoyment in CFB. C'est la vie. ;)

Alice,

Re: "I have seen ND win ACC Conference Championships."

Oh really???

And this one: "ND football is not a part of the ACC."

Best go check with Jack Swarbrick as he is very proud of Notre Dame's affiliation and membership in the ACC!

And regarding a dislike for other members of the ACC besides ND........it's too bad really that you can't enjoy CFB to a greater extent. That is however, your prerogative even though there is a whole world of fun, entertainment and enjoyment in CFB. C'est la vie. ;)[/OTEYehasc

You do realize that there are other conference championships other than football in the ACC?

Don't bloviate to me about the ACC, just because I don't honk on the conference doesn't mean I don't appreciate the competition.

Yes, ND is not part of the ACC in football and that has nothing to do with the AD and his thoughts about ND being a member in other sports.

You are so full of ca-ca!

Reactions: bizzybecknd
Shabak,

"overall better coaching"??

Really.....how do you know? How about letting the DC and the OC coach a few games before making any judgements. And BTW, this is similar to the predictions for last year and we saw how that turned out. If ND does better than this with first year coaches that will be great. Until then the jury is still out.
This is only a message board. What are your predictions game by game?

Duo... really??? A troll...

First... you are probably a better schemer than Van Gorder is. Any one is an improvement. Statistically the new D.C. did better at Wake with 2 and three star talent.

Our S and C program is improved vastly. The mental aspect is improved because of it... the OC will use our strength and not be pass happy.

So the coaching is an upgrade and they have coached before. They are not neophytes.

If ND starts out 1-3 with L's to three bad teams Kelly will be gone by week 5. No way ND loses to BC and State.
Kelly isn't going anywhere. ND will never fire a coach until after the season.

If Kelly goes 7-5 he's staying. Jack will say the team greatly improved from '16 and had a rookie QB leading the way.

Duo... really??? A troll...

First... you are probably a better schemer than Van Gorder is. Any one is an improvement. Statistically the new D.C. did better at Wake with 2 and three star talent.

Our S and C program is improved vastly. The mental aspect is improved because of it... the OC will use our strength and not be pass happy.

So the coaching is an upgrade and they have coached before. They are not neophytes.

Shabak,

Let's hope you are right about these new coaches. The concern of course, is that CFB is replete with examples of coaches that were big successes at one school and then moved to another "level" and for some reason they were no longer successful. Example: Al Golden at Miami and many, many others (some at ND). So, let's hope for the best and wait and see.

Re: being pass happy. Yeah it's true that the most successful coaches in the big time programs are passing less and running more but still run a balanced scheme. And again, weather plays a big role in the passing game.

I think the absence of experienced top QB on the ND schedule makes the schedule less demanding.

Hmmmm... Sam Darnold? Perse. He would have been the FIRST QB (maybe first player) chosen in the draft this year. And will be #1 next year. May be the best QB we've faced since Andrew Luck.

Now, if Wimbush is who we think he is, despite the tough schedule I'm thinking 9-3 and hoping for 10-2. Stepherson's loss hurt. But we have a ton of receivers lets hope someone steps up. And I hope the new defensive team can undo all of the extensive damage done by BVG's debacle.

Hmmmm... Sam Darnold? Perse. He would have been the FIRST QB (maybe first player) chosen in the draft this year. And will be #1 next year. May be the best QB we've faced since Andrew Luck.

Now, if Wimbush is who we think he is, despite the tough schedule I'm thinking 9-3 and hoping for 10-2. Stepherson's loss hurt. But we have a ton of receivers lets hope someone steps up. And I hope the new defensive team can undo all of the extensive damage done by BVG's debacle.

Fixed it for you; my comment was actually a continuation of a thought I had previously posted, citing only SDarnoldand TEason as known QB's on the schedule. (a few question Eason as a quality QB, saying he is also unproven).

Shabak,

Let's hope you are right about these new coaches. The concern of course, is that CFB is replete with examples of coaches that were big successes at one school and then moved to another "level" and for some reason they were no longer successful. Example: Al Golden at Miami and many, many others (some at ND). So, let's hope for the best and wait and see.

Re: being pass happy. Yeah it's true that the most successful coaches in the big time programs are passing less and running more but still run a balanced scheme. And again, weather plays a big role in the passing game.
Take Lou Holtz. Successful at Arkansas Notre Dame... Minnesota Sourh Carolina... Go Irish

Dumbass, trolling posts are what the OP does best. So obsessed w/ the Irish he/she is, just can't stay away.

Take Lou Holtz. Successful at Arkansas Notre Dame... Minnesota Sourh Carolina... Go Irish

Shabak........

Yep Holtz is a good example.......as is Meyer and perhaps Spurrier and a few others. But for every one of those guys there are long lists of others that bombed for whatever reasons. Because of that I believe that's why Vegas is now giving some ND opponents the edge (i.e. Miami -8 over ND). Those odds will likely remain until the new OC and DC coaches win some games and prove themselves. That is especially true of Chip Long with his brief track record at OC. My guess is the odds may change following the 3rd game of the season. By then ND and the new coaches will have been tested by Georgia at home and BC on the road. Those will be critical games for all concerned. Should be a great season.

Temple - W

Miami OH - W

Wake - W

Now -- this needs to be archived so that at the end of the season, we get to see how accurate you were.

Now -- this needs to be archived so that at the end of the season, we get to see how accurate you were.

Kelso.......

Please give us your 2017 predictions. Shoot, I predicted 6-6 (3-2 ACC) last year. Can't always be right. It's a message board.....share your thoughts and predictions with us.

I will share my opinion. I believe they go 9-3 this year with losses to Georgia, USC and Miami.

Temple- W
Georgia- L Do not have the interior defense to hold them from rushing. Will wear down defense by 4th quarter. Will be close game though.
BC- W Horrible offense
MSU - W Too much turmoil this year for the Spartans.
Miami (OH)- W
NC State- W Not a hurricane where we can actually pass.
USC- L Too much talent and the QB has experience
North Carolina- W, New QB and not great on defense
Wake Forest- W
Miami- L Too much talent and it away game.
Navy- W
Stanford- W We finally break through and show what a true strength and conditioning coach gets you. Plus Stanford lost their best playmaker.

I will share my opinion. I believe they go 9-3 this year with losses to Georgia, USC and Miami.

Temple- W
Georgia- L Do not have the interior defense to hold them from rushing. Will wear down defense by 4th quarter. Will be close game though.
BC- W Horrible offense
MSU - W Too much turmoil this year for the Spartans.
Miami (OH)- W
NC State- W Not a hurricane where we can actually pass.
USC- L Too much talent and the QB has experience
North Carolina- W, New QB and not great on defense
Wake Forest- W
Miami- L Too much talent and it away game.
Navy- W
Stanford- W We finally break through and show what a true strength and conditioning coach gets you. Plus Stanford lost their best playmaker.

Wfeldmann.........Excellent post!

Question on Stanford? Since Vegas has Stanford as an 11 point favorite playing at home what exactly makes you think ND will win?

Kelso.......

Please give us your 2017 predictions. Shoot, I predicted 6-6 (3-2 ACC) last year. Can't always be right. It's a message board.....share your thoughts and predictions with us.

I am going with a 10-2 season -- there will be some surprise wins, but, as always happens, an ugly loss along the way.

Temple - W
Georgia - W
Boston College - W
MSU - W
Miami (OH) - W
NC State - W
USC - L
North Carolina - W
Wake Forest - W
Miami - L
Navy - W
Stanford - W

Wfeldmann.........Excellent post!

Question on Stanford? Since Vegas has Stanford as an 11 point favorite playing at home what exactly makes you think ND will win?
Just a gut feeling this year. We have been close the last couple times and Stanford does not have that one player this year that can take over a game like McCaffery or an experienced QB this year. Last few games have been basically a one score difference and it seems ND's defense in those games was atrocious, so I feel this year they play good but not great defense and get the win. Stanford does nothing but tricky on offense so as long as they play disciplined defense they will win. Talent is pretty equal with ND even maybe slightly better.

Fixed it for you; my comment was actually a continuation of a thought I had previously posted, citing only SDarnoldand TEason as known QB's on the schedule. (a few question Eason as a quality QB, saying he is also unproven).
Eason had lots of good and bad moments last year, but he does have a bunch of starts under his belt, including some rivalry games. Now, as to whether he ends up being as good as his recruiting hype, that's another question that remains unanswered.

Georgia's defense is legit. The LBs are studs.
Miami's defense looks to be stellar also.

I think think we get wrapped up in what we can/can't do & forget about the opponent.

Georgia will be the litmus test. Our offense isn't going to light them up. Can our defense do enough?

Reactions: Kelso86
W/L this year will be determined after Georgia game. Very excited to see what kind of team we have this year and GA will provide that test.

W/L this year will be determined after Georgia game. Very excited to see what kind of team we have this year and GA will provide that test.

NDHHI..........

Agree..........but........the first 3 "real" games (Ga., at BC, at MSU) will be the real test for both the offense and defense. With only one year of experience as an OC Chip Long is basically a one year wonder from 8-5 (5-3 AAC) Memphis and has A WHOLE LOT to prove. To boot he will have an inexperienced QB. Just my opinion but that does not sound like the recipe for a 10-2 team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT