ADVERTISEMENT

Poll: Two-Thirds of Americans Favor College Athletes as Paid Employees (Will ND get on board?)

chaseball

I've posted how many times?
Sep 8, 2007
So is Notre Dame just going to keep making hundreds of millions of dollars off the backs of their football athletes while spreading "student mission" propaganda or are they going to get on board and compete?

Reactions: Airzee23
So is Notre Dame just going to keep making hundreds of millions of dollars off the backs of their football athletes while spreading "student mission" propaganda or are they going to get on board and compete?

You keep stating that ND is making hundreds of millions of dollars from football when you’ve previously been proven wrong on that issue.

Please produce the financial accounting that supports your claim.

Reactions: NDinNJ

Are you that deranged? Currently , there is no pay for play in college football. College football has NIL which allows college athletes to make money off of their Name, Image, and Likeness. You are bashing Notre Dame for following the rules,. Other schools may be paying the athletes, or recruiting the athletes with bags of money, which goes against the rules.
Until a rule is passed that actually allows schools to pay their student athletes your argument is meaningless and irrelevant.

It seems you want Notre Dame to just break the rules because other schools are doing it.
You must be perfectly fine with the groups that decide to raid a store and clean it out, even though it's illegal and it's theft. You must be ok with it because it seems everyone is doing it even though it's illegal.

Are you that deranged? Currently , there is no pay for play in college football. College football has NIL which allows college athletes to make money off of their Name, Image, and Likeness. You are bashing Notre Dame for following the rules,. Other schools may be paying the athletes, or recruiting the athletes with bags of money, which goes against the rules.
Until a rule is passed that actually allows schools to pay their student athletes your argument is meaningless and irrelevant.

It seems you want Notre Dame to just break the rules because other schools are doing it.
You must be perfectly fine with the groups that decide to raid a store and clean it out, even though it's illegal and it's theft. You must be ok with it because it seems everyone is doing it even though it's illegal.
Good analogy. That is exactly who he is. He is a combo of the stereotypical race victim and the underachiever who follows the crowd.

And the poll was a sham.

I am willing to bet 2/3 of the fans on this board would like to see you tarred and feathered so obviously you must volunteer....

Reactions: BGI User 756
Like all these damn misleading political polls, the way the question is posed is designed to elicit a desired response. I’m totally opposed to college athletes becoming employees, and yet I would answer in the affirmative that they deserve some level of direct compensation. Compensation in the form of free tuition and books, and a reasonable amount for living expenses…all of which I believe ND provides currently; along with NIL compensation tied to charitable sponsorship activities. The annual value of this is probably north of $100K minimum per player. I wonder what the response would be if this were spelled out and the question is whether they should receive additional direct compensation?

Like all these damn misleading political polls, the way the question is posed is designed to elicit a desired response. I’m totally opposed to college athletes becoming employees, and yet I would answer in the affirmative that they deserve some level of direct compensation. Compensation in the form of free tuition and books, and a reasonable amount for living expenses…all of which I believe ND provides currently; along with NIL compensation tied to charitable sponsorship activities. The annual value of this is probably north of $100K minimum per player. I wonder what the response would be if this were spelled out and the question is whether they should receive additional direct compensation?
Right. I question if the people who answered this poll are even aware of what a full scholarship entails.

I wonder if those Two-Thirds realize the consequences of that?
Would those employees still get a free ride?
Would it allow them to Healthcare benefits? Are the 401K options?

How many hundred of millions of dollars were made from the degrees those student/athlete earned not to mention playing professional ball?

I wonder if those Two-Thirds realize the consequences of that?
Would those employees still get a free ride?
Would it allow them to Healthcare benefits? Are the 401K options?

How many hundred of millions of dollars were made from the degrees those student/athlete earned not to mention playing professional ball?
Great points. And how long could they be employed? Let's just throw out the eligibility limits as well and let them stay on for as long as they want.

Reactions: deadirishpoet

Notre Dame is doing more than simply just following the rules. They are on record speaking out against compensating athletes using a lot of the same rhetoric the NCAA has over the years to try to regress the sport back to where the players have no money or power claiming football is a student-first mission.

But then they turn around and sign hundreds of millions of dollars in TV/licensing/apparel deals add tons of luxury boxes to their stadium renovation with further increasing ticket prices to boot lol

This is a billion dollar enterprise in all but name only. Anybody is naïve to think otherwise. If ND was a professional organization, the amount of money & profit they make from their football program per year would be on par with businesses that are valued at $1B.

Please produce the financial accounting that supports your claim.

This isn't the argument winner you think it is. Nobody has access to NDs line by line financials. But you got to be living under a rock if you don't realize the INSANE wealth top FBS schools are generating from their football program. Blue bloods like ND are producing $100+M/year in revenue with virtually free labor. And they aren't just getting wealthy from football revenue directly but also from the exposure the football team generates for the university overall. There's a direct correlation between performance on the football field and the university's endowments overall. There's a direct correlation between performance on the football field and the amount of applications the university receives which allows them to deny more applicants, become more exclusive, and increase their prestige overall which ultimately increases the wealth of the university.

I dont care how wealthy ND gets personally--but please stop embarrassing yourself in public with your hypocrisy, and get with the times, stop resisting progress, share some of the cash with the players who play a major role in producing it, and create a dominant football program again!

Last edited:

Like it or not, that is the way the sport is heading. I think the next huge TV deal due in 2030 will include a set percentage going to players. Maybe 33%.

Notre Dame is doing more than simply just following the rules. They are on record speaking out against compensating athletes using a lot of the same rhetoric the NCAA has over the years to try to regress the sport back to where the players have no money or power claiming football is a student-first mission.

But then they turn around and sign hundreds of millions of dollars in TV/licensing/apparel deals add tons of luxury boxes to their stadium renovation with further increasing ticket prices to boot lol

This is a billion dollar enterprise in all but name only. Anybody is naïve to think otherwise. If ND was a professional organization, the amount of money & profit they make from their football program per year would be on par with businesses that are valued at $1B.

This isn't the argument winner you think it is. Nobody has access to NDs line by line financials. But you got to be living under a rock if you don't realize the INSANE wealth top FBS schools are generating from their football program. Blue bloods like ND are producing $100+M/year in revenue with virtually free labor. And they aren't just getting wealthy from football revenue directly but also from the exposure the football team generates for the university overall. There's a direct correlation between performance on the football field and the university's endowments overall. There's a direct correlation between performance on the football field and the amount of applications the university receives which allows them to deny more applicants, become more exclusive, and increase their prestige overall which ultimately increases the wealth of the university.

I dont care how wealthy ND gets personally--but please stop embarrassing yourself in public with your hypocrisy, and get with the times, stop resisting progress, share some of the cash with the players who play a major role in producing it, and create a dominate football program again!
My argument is the winner I believe it to be !

Your statement is uninformed and not true !

The University of Notre Dame is required to file detailed financial information to the IRS via Form 990-N on an annual basis.

Hence the financial data is readily available.

I dont care how wealthy ND gets personally--but please stop embarrassing yourself in public with your hypocrisy, and get with the times, stop resisting progress, share some of the cash with the players who play a major role in producing it, and create a dominant football program again!
First off the ND administration has been at the forefront of getting NIL in place. They were speaking out about how the student athletes should be getting compensated for their name, image, and likeness back in 2015-2016.

They are against paying student athletes directly, but so are 99% school presidents and athletic directors. You have no clue what you are talking about. Do more reading and less spouting because you look more foolish with every post and comment.

Then are you suggesting only athletes should be the only ones compensated.
How about those who ho above and beyond academically.
Does some of this money work its way to R&D, missions, charities.
If you are looking for a way to ruin a game just throw large amount of unfiltered money at it to create an unstable outcome

My argument is the winner I believe it to be !

Your statement is uninformed and not true !

The University of Notre Dame is required to file detailed financial information to the IRS via Form 990-N on an annual basis.

Hence the financial data is readily available.
I'm not taking sides in this discussion as I'm not emotionally invested in the correct answer. I'm just trying to nudge things along in pursuit of WHATEVER THAT ANSWER MAY BE.

So, here's something that simply popped up on Google.

Notre Dame Men's Football

"Notre Dame brought in $97,944,469 in revenue from its football program while paying out $51,387,021 in expenses. This means the program turned a profit, making $46,557,448 for the school. This is great since many college sports programs lose money."

A few points:
  • Does the statement mix apples and oranges? Does the $51,387,021 represent DIRECT COSTS or GENERAL OPERATING EXPENSES? The piece refers to EXPENSES, but my sense is that it's actually a BLEND of costs and expenses. But I'm GUESSING. Anyway, this matters as it determines whether or not the $46,557,448 is a GROSS PROFIT or some level of NET PROFIT. Which in turn relates to how much ND football REVENUE reaches ND's actual bottom line.
  • In any event, a profit of 47.53% would be an EXTRAORDINARILY HIGH GROSS PROFIT for any enterprise while a NET PROFIT OF THAT MAGNITUDE is largely UNIMAGINABLE.
  • But then there's a reason for this outsized number: THE ABSENCE OF THE LABOR COMPONENT that actually PRODUCES THE PRODUCT.
  • BOTTOM LINE: Believe in it or not, THIS IS A TREMENDOUS CASH COW for ND. That said, I'll leave the EQUITY SIDE of the argument to others.
  • As for the hundreds of millions of dollars argument, 10 years of profit at $40 million does indeed produce hundreds of millions of dollars. $400 million to be exact.
  • And when you take into account that ND football hasn't won an NC in 35 years but is still taking in THIS LEVEL OF DOUGH, my agrument that ND is basically a BRAND MAINTENANCE OPERATION trading on its FORMER GLORY appears, at least to me, ALL THE MORE SELF-EVIDENT.

Last edited:
I'm not taking sides in this discussion as I'm not emotionally invested in the correct answer. I'm just trying to nudge things along in pursuit of WHATEVER THAT ANSWER MAY BE.

"Notre Dame brought in $97,944,469 in revenue from its football program while paying out $51,387,021 in expenses. This means the program turned a profit, making $46,557,448 for the school. This is great since many college sports programs lose money."

A couple of points:
  • Does the statement mix apples and oranges? Does the $51,387,021 represent DIRECT COSTS or GENERAL OPERATING EXPENSES? The piece refers to EXPENSES, but my sense is that it's actually a BLEND of costs and expenses. But I'm GUESSING. Anyway, this matters as it determines whether or not the $46,557,448 is a GROSS PROFIT or some level of NET PROFIT. Which in turn relates to how much ND football REVENUE reaches ND's actual bottom line.
  • In any event, a profit of 47.53% would be an EXTRAORDINARILY HIGH GROSS PROFIT for any enterprise while a NET PROFIT OF THAT MAGNITUDE is largely UNIMAGINABLE.
  • But then there's a reason for this outsized number: THE ABSENCE OF THE LABOR COMPONENT that actually PRODUCES THE PRODUCT.
  • BOTTOM LINE: Believe in it or not, THIS IS A TREMENDOUS CASH COW for ND. That said, I'll leave the EQUITY SIDE of the argument to others.
  • As for the hundreds of millions of dollars argument, 10 years of profit at $40 million does indeed produce hundreds of millions of dollars. $400 million to be exact.
  • And when you take into account that ND football hasn't won an NC in 35 years but is still taking in THIS LEVEL OF DOUGH, my agrument that ND is basically a BRAND MAINTENANCE OPERATION trading on its FORMER GLORY appears, at least to me, ALL THE MORE SELF-EVIDENT.

A couple of points:
Good points, however you are missing a glaring point. I would think the school administration looks at the entire athletic department as a whole with each sport within the athletic department as its own departments. Sure Football may have shown a $40 million profit, but next question that should be asked is how much of the profit from the football program went to support all of the remaining sports within the athletic department?

To your point, a simple google search gives you the answer.
"Notre Dame Sports Financials
The sports teams at Notre Dame brought home $165,660,298 in revenue while shelling out $158,801,193 in expenses. This means the team turned a profit of $6,859,105, which is great since many schools have to declare a loss."

So much for the hundreds of millions dollars the football program makes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Granite45
You could argue that the majority of money donated by subway alumni is due to the football program. That is probably in the tens of millions per year.

Watch Ole Miss or some other program that doesn't give a crap about their student athletes. That would better fit your values...or lack thereof.

You could argue that the majority of money donated by subway alumni is due to the football program. That is probably in the tens of millions per year.
You could argue that, but it would be an argument lacking in facts !

Good points, however you are missing a glaring point. I would think the school administration looks at the entire athletic department as a whole with each sport within the athletic department as its own departments. Sure Football may have shown a $40 million profit, but next question that should be asked is how much of the profit from the football program went to support all of the remaining sports within the athletic department?

To your point, a simple google search gives you the answer.
"Notre Dame Sports Financials
The sports teams at Notre Dame brought home $165,660,298 in revenue while shelling out $158,801,193 in expenses. This means the team turned a profit of $6,859,105, which is great since many schools have to declare a loss."

So much for the hundreds of millions dollars the football program makes.
👍

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT