ADVERTISEMENT

Polian to ST?

Telx1

I've posted how many times?
May 13, 2012
Read a post saying it is being reported that Polian is returning to coach ST. I know he was fired as Nevada HC, and don't recall whether he was a good position coach at ND or not, but he was one hell of a recruiter. Hope this info proves correct. If Elston chooses to leave after interviewing for the DC position and not being selected, I can see Polian as a great selection to head recruiting.

Read a post saying it is being reported that Polian is returning to coach ST. I know he was fired as Nevada HC, and don't recall whether he was a good position coach at ND or not, but he was one hell of a recruiter. Hope this info proves correct. If Elston chooses to leave after interviewing for the DC position and not being selected, I can see Polian as a great selection to head recruiting.
Ha, we must have been typing at the same time.

Haven't seen any articles on this, but can only view it as a positive. As you mentioned, strong recruiter and now he has gained solid experience thru his Nevada experience.

Polian would be a homerun. Great, grinder of a recruiter who would take over Sanford's vacated region in the Southwest and on the West Coast. He has been involved with special teams for a long time. Huge upgrade over Booker.

If ND somehow ended up with this staff, I'd be pumped...

HC: Brian Kelly
OC - playcaller / QB: Jeff Quinn
OC / WR: Mike Denbrock
OL: Harry Hiestand
TE / Recruiting coordinator / Associate HC: Mike Elston
RB: Autry Denson

DC / Safeties: Mike Elko
DL: Dan Cohen
LB: Clark Lea or Jerrick Jackson
CB: Todd Lyght

That would be a solid staff, IMO.... Balanced I recruiting and coaching ability.

Last edited:
Reactions: TXNDFan88
Polian would be a homerun. Great, grinder of a recruiter who would take over Sanford's vacated region in the Southwest and on the West Coast. He has been involved with special teams for a long time. Huge upgrade over Booker.

True on the recruiting. Was he good at STC? I can't remember.

True on the recruiting. Was he good at STC? I can't remember.

He was solid. Had some quality kickers and punters and Golden Tate and Zibi were good returnees under his watch. Nick Setta was a good one, as was the walk on whose name I am forgetting.

He was solid. Had some quality kickers and punters and Golden Tate and Zibi were good returnees under his watch. Nick Setta was a good one, as was the walk on whose name I am forgetting.
He did have a good kicker--David Ruffin?--but Nick Serra was long gone by the time Polian came on board. Rumor had it that Serra was the ST coach in 2000 and 2001.

Reactions: Kelso86

If ND somehow ended up with this staff, I'd be pumped...

HC: Brian Kelly
OC - playcaller / QB: Jeff Quinn
OC / WR: Mike Denbrock
OL: Harry Hiestand
TE / Recruiting coordinator / Associate HC: Mike Elston
RB: Autry Denson

DC / Safeties: Mike Elko
DL: Dan Cohen
LB: Clark Lea or Jerrick Jackson
CB: Todd Lyght

That would be a solid staff, IMO.... Balanced I recruiting and coaching ability.
Good lookin staff. I'd like Jackson on D line. Elston to stay at linebacker or flip Jackson and Elston. Both appear very good options if it plays out that way.

He did have a good kicker--David Ruffin?--but Nick Serra was long gone by the time Polian came on board. Rumor had it that Serra was the ST coach in 2000 and 2001.

Hahaha you're right. I'm all messed up. Setta was gone. David Ruffer was the kicker I was thinking of. Thanks for the heads up!

If I remember correctly Polian was a great recruiter under Weis

Polian basically lived in Hawaii to get Manti. He's a great recruiter. Puts tons of work in. Even if he gets ND 2-3 kids each cycle from California / Nevada / Arizona / Texas, he's done his job, because those are often darn good football players.

Reactions: chaseball
Love this hire .. Polian was easily one of the best recruiters on Weis' staff ... always kept ND in the mix with the nation's best talent. I believe he was even recruiting coordinator under Weis during the latter years before becoming interim head coach after Weis was fired.

It sucks for Polian that despite 7+ more years of experience since leaving Notre Dame he's right back where he started from (ND coordinator).

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT