ADVERTISEMENT

Polian interviewing at Bowling Green

napy2121

I've posted how many times?
Jan 22, 2010
Seems to be a second interview so maybe we have this spot to fill. I’m bummed from a recruiting perspective he’s clearly good at it and not just his recruiting but organization wide planning.

I know some will be happy because we’ve been mediocre in special teams. But I think he’s average and a lot of our problems are at a macro level here. We probably don’t spend enough time on it, but then think we can be clever on kickoffs rather than boot it into the end zone every time. Then we think instead of practicing it, that sprinkling our best players on units it will get fixed.

We shall see what happens.

My bad didn’t see the other thread that also had a wierd typo.

Seems to be a second interview so maybe we have this spot to fill. I’m bummed from a recruiting perspective he’s clearly good at it and not just his recruiting but organization wide planning.

I know some will be happy because we’ve been mediocre in special teams. But I think he’s average and a lot of our problems are at a macro level here. We probably don’t spend enough time on it, but then think we can be clever on kickoffs rather than boot it into the end zone every time. Then we think instead of practicing it, that sprinkling our best players on units it will get fixed.

Agreed 101%

Special teams takes time. It's not fun to practice. It's not exciting to practice. Yet it's very important.

There is no doubt you can see the lack of time we spend on it

your assumption about practice time and special teams is outright silly. EVERY program has dedicated special teams time. not a coach i'm aware of that doesn't. just another uneducated shot at the head coach.

I support Bk and am behind him, this is constructive criticism and based on things reported publicly by people close to the program. It’s uncontroversial, some teams spend more time on it than others- that’s the real fact here. In NDs case it might even be the proper strategic tactic to maximize our O and D. It’s not for me to say but I do think if we make that choice we probably should just be self aware about it enough to instruct the kicker to kick it into the end zone rather than angle kicking it to the 1.

I support Bk and am behind him, this is constructive criticism and based on things reported publicly by people close to the program. It’s uncontroversial, some teams spend more time on it than others- that’s the real fact here. In NDs case it might even be the proper strategic tactic to maximize our O and D. It’s not for me to say but I do think if we make that choice we probably should just be self aware about it enough to instruct the kicker to kick it into the end zone rather than angle kicking it to the 1.
i don't think there is a kicker on the roster who can do that with regularity and keep it in bounds. lots of special teams philosophies out there from coverage to blocking schemes. all can be successful if executed properly. now if you have a guy that can knock it 5 yards deep or better every time thats a different story.

That would be strange given in no wind conditions both guys we’ve had kick have done it and on more than a few occasions. I think Yoon had two v usc when he kicked straight, but also kicked it on the angle short 2x. You may ultimately be right. When they moved kickoffs up a few years back I assumed every scholarship kicker would easily be able to do that (minus wind considerations).

Last edited:
That would be strange given in no wind conditions both guys we’ve had kick have done it and on more than a few occasions. I think Yun had two v usc when he kicked straight, but also kicked it on the angle short 2x. You may ultimately be right. When they moved kickoffs up a few years back I assumed every scholarship kicker would easily be able to do that (minus wind considerations).
not saying yoon can't but can he do it "regularly" ? thats the key .

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT