ADVERTISEMENT

PFF Season Grades

Golson5

All Star
Apr 15, 2019
Take this for what it's worth but this is PFFs top 5 players on offense and defense for the season

Offense

Love
Coogan
Price
Leonard
Wagner

Defense

Watts
Clark
Onye
Gray
Shuler

Not sure they are in order. No WRs on the list. No TEs. No Morrison. Mills/Cross/Oben/Kiser have not been as good as expected.

Reactions: chaseball
Take this for what it's worth but this is PFFs top 5 players on offense and defense for the season

Offense

Love
Coogan
Price
Leonard
Wagner

Defense

Watts
Clark
Onye
Gray
Shuler

Not sure they are in order. No WRs on the list. No TEs. No Morrison. Mills/Cross/Oben/Kiser have not been as good as expected.
This list would make more sense if Price was NOT on it. He's had some monster plays for us, but he's made more mistakes than he's made good plays.

Coogan seems much better suited for center.

Leonard IMO is up there because you can't quantify the majority of mistakes he makes (other than NIU). His big mistakes are the wrong reads, not throwing to the open receiver instead checking down. PFF isn't taking that into account.

Here's my top 5 through week 5:

Offense:

Love
Wagner
Leonard
Price
Collins (despite bad game last week)

Defense:

Watts
BenMo (he doesn't seem 100% healthy though and is still rarely targeted/challenged)
Gray
Bowen
Traore (leading the team in sacks through week 5)

Haven't been impressed with the defensive line outside of Traore and he's injured now.

I think I could list 10+ players on defense but had a hard time coming up with 5 guys on offense

Last edited:
BenMo to me has been a step slow all season, why he isn't even close to a pick.

He was doing a lot of work on him quad/hamstring vs Miami Oh during TV timeouts.

I really don't like how much ND babied our top players in the off season. I know, if they got injured i'd be even more pissed. I just think you have to train correctly, and whatever happens happens.

BenMo to me has been a step slow all season, why he isn't even close to a pick.

He was doing a lot of work on him quad/hamstring vs Miami Oh during TV timeouts.

I really don't like how much ND babied our top players in the off season. I know, if they got injured i'd be even more pissed. I just think you have to train correctly, and whatever happens happens.
It's super rare that he gets challenged...he has no picks because they dont throw the ball his way.

Offense

Love
Coogan
Price
Leonard
Wagner

Defense

Watts
Clark
Onye
Gray
Shuler

Ive been saying it for past two years, Kiser has no business on the field other then to give other guys a quick blow. Hes the master of tackles 7yds downfield

Ive been saying it for past two years, Kiser has no business on the field other then to give other guys a quick blow. Hes the master of tackles 7yds downfield
He's leading the team in tackles while being known for his skills as a coverage LB.

Bowen looks better every game. Kid reads play exceptionally well and really accelerates to tackle. KVA is coming on big time, especially for a true freshman. Ausberry continues to impress with his speed and versatility. Frankly, I’d like to see these three play more.
This list would make more sense if Price was NOT on it. He's had some monster plays for us, but he's made more mistakes than he's made good plays.

Coogan seems much better suited for center.

Leonard IMO is up there because you can't quantify the majority of mistakes he makes (other than NIU). His big mistakes are the wrong reads, not throwing to the open receiver instead checking down. PFF isn't taking that into account.
When Knapp rated out at something like 83 on pff against TAM, the weaknesses of this system were totally exposed for me.

I think they were gonna need Price in the program.

Anyone think the punishment was too harsh Saturday?
Yeah. But people complain that MF is too much of a player coach

Price and Ford fumbled and didn't get to touch the ball again all fay

Both fumbles were bad. No doubt about it.

If Price has issues with ball security, then we need to address it. If not, then get over the fumble and feed him carries. Good things happen when he gets touches.

Both fumbles were bad. No doubt about it.

If Price has issues with ball security, then we need to address it. If not, then get over the fumble and feed him carries. Good things happen when he gets touches.
Playing time is the best reward punishment available. You simply can’t run inside on your own six with one arm on the ball. I love the threat Price poses when he has the ball, but I’ve been disappointed with his blocking on pass plays. Poor blocking and poor ball security will get him to the bench. Hope he accepts this benching as a positive learning experience because, as you say, good things happen when he gets touches.

Reactions: IrishMike409

Freeman seems much more animated and willing to chew out players this year. A good thing!

Reactions: IrishMike409
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT