ADVERTISEMENT

People, like it or not BK will be head coach

Tru2Irish

ND Expert
Aug 2, 2013
possibly for 2-3 more years. The thing is ,if you truly love ND, BACK THE PROGRAM!!! THESE YOUNG MEN invest their lives to represent Notre Dame football. I am not a fan of BK but I will follow the team through hell or high water. Give the new coaches a chance to see what they can bring to the table. We need to end the negativity right now. If Kelly totally fails with the new group[given proper time to adjust to coaches], then fire him. The players didn't fold this year because they like losing, the had poor schemes and lack of coaching tackling basics. Granted, we should pound the ball more, strip the ball, pass rush,etc. but lets back these new coaches. A house divide cannot stand and I for one, want ND to stand tall again. I want teams to be in awe and trepidation when they play against ND. You can say that's wishful thinking but I prefer to call it pride in my team. I understand some are negative on here because of frustration. But some get to the point where it makes me wonder if they hate BK more than they love ND itself. Let's tone down the rhetoric and give Elko, Polian and whomever is our new OC our backing. We are not the lame,backbiting,negative Irish. WE ARE THE FIGHTING IRISH!!!

I like the positive position. However, this is not year 3/4. Its year 7. I will be ready to go on day 1 next year to back this team but track record shows ND is far away from being elite. It may not happen again. Recruiting and coaching is life for a great team. We don't have either one. Go IRish.

Reactions: Gimmea10wincoach
Our recruiting is so in the toilet that it ranks 6th or 7th depending on the service. Coach isn't going anywhere since the powers in the administration trust him right now. Do I agree with their decision---no, but I know when to fold and walk away.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bodizephax
First, this is year 7 no more chances, we know exactly what kind of Kelly is. He's not going to magically figure it out in year 8.

Second, the fans didn't give up on the football program the administration gave up on football 20 years ago.

Third, the outcome next season will be what it is regardless of what we post here.

I really don't get it. In his first 6 years Kelly took ND to the NC game and was a defensive play away from making the playoffs last year. Is that enough to retain him if he turns in another performance like this year? No. But did that earn him another year and reason to believe he can get us where we need to be? I'd say, yes. And that is a reasonable position. This and all ND boards are being fueled by a vocal group of people that seem to have descended into purely emotional positions.

There's no arguing with this but it makes the boards extremely unenjoyable for me.

Reactions: Kelso86
Our recruiting is so in the toilet that it ranks 6th or 7th depending on the service. Coach isn't going anywhere since the powers in the administration trust him right now. Do I agree with their decision---no, but I no when to fold and walk away.

You don't even know how to spell "know".

I really don't get it. In his first 6 years Kelly took ND to the NC game and was a defensive play away from making the playoffs last year. Is that enough to retain him if he turns in another performance like this year? No. But did that earn him another year and reason to believe he can get us where we need to be? I'd say, yes. And that is a reasonable position. This and all ND boards are being fueled by a vocal group of people that seem to have descended into purely emotional positions.

There's no arguing with this but it makes the boards extremely unenjoyable for me.

Please explain how we were a play away from the playoffs in '15.

We dropped to # 6 after an abysmal showing at BC.

Which 2 teams were we going to jump after the game had we won?

Clemson, Alabama, Oklahoma, MSU, undefeated Iowa?

PS We were a play away from being 9-4.

Agree in part with the OP. Yes, Kelly will be the coach next season; and yes, we should support the team and hope the coaching changes result in a good season. Many here have expressed similar views. I don't agree that Kelly's first six years earned him a pass for last season. Putting his friendship with BVG above the interest of ND, the players and alums and fans, is inexcusable and reason alone to have been fired. Throw in inexcusable head coach decisions that lost the Texas and North Carolina St. games, and pathetic team wide performances against the likes of Duke, etc... and Kelly doesn't deserve squat in my opinion. I would also argue that we were the worst coached 10-2 regular season team in the country the year we were"two points away from the playoffs". Weak opponents all season long revealed our weaknesses, and that was one of the luckiest most frustrating 10 win seasons in memory. Yes, we should all support the team and Kelly by extension and root for a great upcoming season, but not as a pass for Kelly. If being on the hot seat resulted in BVG and Booker and Longo getting fired, and Elko and Pulian getting hired, then I say raise the temp!

Telx, I agree with every word you just wrote, but from what Jack said in his show after the USC game; I don't see Kelly on the hot seat at ND. I found it to be a perplexing perspective on Jack's part. That's the reason I moved on and back to the positive side. How does the record not play into the decision to keep Kelly after next season? We might see Kelly here two or more seasons even if things don't improve a lot. Therefore, I refuse to fall into the negative hole that drives some here. I hope that these new hires and others to come make a huge difference next year. It's a good start but how does it play out on the field? It was a really good post IMHO.

Reactions: Bodizephax
Telx, I agree with every word you just wrote, but from what Jack said in his show after the USC game; I don't see Kelly on the hot seat at ND. I found it to be a perplexing perspective on Jack's part. That's the reason I moved on and back to the positive side. How does the record not play into the decision to keep Kelly after next season? We might see Kelly here two or more seasons even if things don't improve a lot. Therefore, I refuse to fall into the negative hole that drives some here. I hope that these new hires and others to come make a huge difference next year. It's a good start but how does it play out on the field? It was a really good post IMHO.
My point is more directed to the team[players ] than the staff itself. It just seems to be disheartening that some are bent on the failure of the team for the sole purpose to rid us of BK. I want a change just like others but not at hoping for team failure. JS is going to do what he wishes regardless of how I or you might feel. I only want success for ND and players not to boost BK ego or the powers that be.One can rant until blue in the face about BK but it isn't going to change The powers' minds. I understand venting helps but there comes a point where one chooses to back the football team or hope for a total collapse to get rid of BK. I choose the team not BK. But if he's successful next year maybe he will make the NFL jump finally.

Tru2...some here are so anti Kelly, that they want the team performance to prove them right. The majority here are tired of Kelly and prefer a new HC, but absent that, they want Kelly to right the program.

Reactions: Kelso86

Me too ! It is always warmer on the sunny side of life !

Reactions: Ara64
Thanks Ara. Jack has been a huge surprise and disappointment throughout this past year. From the length of the extension to his interview three weeks after the conclusion of the season, he has supported Kelly unreasonably. Add in his assessment of the past two seasons, and his tone deafness to alum and fans and students, it seems obvious that he has redefined and lowered the bar for what constitutes success on and off the field. As fans, we should cheer the team and root for success, but we should not accept Jack's de facto standard of success, or we'll be mediocre for the foreseeable future. I'll remain positive as long as we are playing smart hard football and poised for double digit wins, but if we see a repeat of poor decisions that hurt our chances of winning, or a team that plays without emotion and attitude, then I will quickly jump back to the dark side. We sure as hell can't fall into Jack's trap and celebrate a season of great improvement as evidenced by something like an 8-4 record!

And you are an insufferable broken record and a complete football ignoramus. I'll take misuse of the word "know" over a boring d-bag like you 6 days a week and twice on Sunday.

You're a jerk. It's Christmas-time. Be positive, support these great young men. What the heck is wrong with you!?!?!?

I love when posers refer to the ND Football program as we? Iowa lost to MSU they were not undefeated. ND at 11-1 with its only loss coming to 13-0 Clemson on the road by 2 points had a strong case to be in the playoffs. Keep hating jock sniffer.

I love when posers refer to the ND Football program as we? Iowa lost to MSU they were not undefeated. ND at 11-1 with its only loss coming to 13-0 Clemson on the road by 2 points had a strong case to be in the playoffs. Keep hating jock sniffer.

We were at # 4 in the CFB Playoff ranking in week 11.

We then played horribly versus bc on 11/21 and our “Clemson 2 point loss collateral” was spent dropping us to 6 in the November 24th CFP Rankings.

That vote had Clemson, alabama, oklahoma, Iowa, and msu ahead of us.

Iowa was undefeated and remained so through 12/5.

After we played Stanford there was no change in the CFP ranking vote on Dec 1st.
All teams held form and Iowa remained undefeated at 12-0.

Clemson, ‘bama, oklahoma and msu held form through the final week. msu did so by beating Iowa in the Big 10 championship on 12/5. They handed Iowa their only loss.

Your contention that we would have jumped the schools ahead of us based on a Stanford win has no merit.

Asserting that a win at Stanford would have made us playoff bound is hypothetically Possible, but simply ignores the facts in reality. ND was largely unimpressive against Temple and Pitt and Wake and Boston, and the committee finally took note after the BC game, and a one point win over Stanford would not have moved us into the final four. The beat down we suffered at the hands of Ohio St just validated the committees view that we were not one of the four best teams that year. We were damn fortunate to beat Virginia and Temple and BC that year, so ignoring this fact and insisting we should have won the Stanford game is looking back with rose colored glasses and lacking objectivity. A dominant performance against BC and a Win against Stanford probably was needed to get serious consideration for the playoffs, and we did neither.

Asserting that a win at Stanford would have made us playoff bound is hypothetically Possible, but simply ignores the facts in reality. ND was largely unimpressive against Temple and Pitt and Wake and Boston, and the committee finally took note after the BC game, and a one point win over Stanford would not have moved us into the final four. The beat down we suffered at the hands of Ohio St just validated the committees view that we were not one of the four best teams that year. We were damn fortunate to beat Virginia and Temple and BC that year, so ignoring this fact and insisting we should have won the Stanford game is looking back with rose colored glasses and lacking objectivity. A dominant performance against BC and a Win against Stanford probably was needed to get serious consideration for the playoffs, and we did neither.

The committee did everything under the sun to keep us in the hunt. I was very pleased with the way they handled us that season. imo There was no bias against us (which I expected). In fact, they were giving us a lot of leeway.

PS The revisionism being put forth is unfortunate. Perhaps the Canuck can come up with Eifert's thousand yard seasons at ND. Maybe he was adding in practice yards....

Exactly how much mileage does Kelly get for going to the NC game? As I've said 100 times, Gene Chizik actually won a NC game and Auburn realized he wasn't the man for the job.

I love how some people want to cherry pick "what-if's". The fact is we didn't. How about we subtract the Va Tech game from his wins last year since we were, "a play away" from losing that. We could go through every season and find games that hinged on 1 or 2 plays, the record is the record.

So the yes, Kelly had 2 good seasons in 7, is that the new criteria at ND. Any coach only has to have 2 good seasons in 7 for him to be considered a success?

Kelly doesn't need to be fired for 2016 alone. He needs to be fired for 2016 and 2014 and 2013 and 2011. He needs to be fired because he has ruined every QB under him. He needs to be fired because for 7 years the following issues have never been resolved; ST, turnovers, RZ offense, running game. He never fixes any issues that have plagued the team. He needs to be fired for endless off the field issues.

I don't know where this notion comes from that 2016 is the only season ND has under-performed.

My lack of faith for the head coach does not mean I do not support the team or the players. Wanting a change in leadership is my hope that it will help develop and improve the players and the program. From the results under the current leadership, I have come to the conclusion that the players and team have regressed the longer they play under coach Kelly. No matter how good the recruiting has been, the results does not pass the "eye" test. This is not a change just for change sake. It is a need to change the way the program has declined. With or without Kelly, I will always be a supporter of the team and players lucky enough to wear the blue and gold.
Go Irish.

I think thats where I am as well. My opinion of Kelly, and by proxy, Swarbrick, has not changed. As a fan, my choices are to support the players, and hope for real coaching that makes a difference. I also realize that a poor season next year does not seal Kelly's fate. The support for Swarbrick appears to be much stronger than one would think by conventional wisdom. That prospect must also be recognized for what it is. Kelly can easily be head coach for another two or three years, regardless. I am not prepared to protest for that lengthy duration, nor abandon my life-long favorite team.

Agree in part with the OP. Yes, Kelly will be the coach next season; and yes, we should support the team and hope the coaching changes result in a good season. Many here have expressed similar views. I don't agree that Kelly's first six years earned him a pass for last season. Putting his friendship with BVG above the interest of ND, the players and alums and fans, is inexcusable and reason alone to have been fired. Throw in inexcusable head coach decisions that lost the Texas and North Carolina St. games, and pathetic team wide performances against the likes of Duke, etc... and Kelly doesn't deserve squat in my opinion. I would also argue that we were the worst coached 10-2 regular season team in the country the year we were"two points away from the playoffs". Weak opponents all season long revealed our weaknesses, and that was one of the luckiest most frustrating 10 win seasons in memory. Yes, we should all support the team and Kelly by extension and root for a great upcoming season, but not as a pass for Kelly. If being on the hot seat resulted in BVG and Booker and Longo getting fired, and Elko and Pulian getting hired, then I say raise the temp!

I love when people try to make the argument that we were one play away from making the playoffs and conveniently ignore the fact we were one play away from losing to Va Tech. So do we only rewrite history to benefit Kelly?

Bwahahahahaha

"Five years later ND is a deeper more talented and highly ranked and regarded football program than Stanford."
floridairish,Sep 26, 2015"

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT