ADVERTISEMENT

Penn State lawsuit

Already been thoroughly investigated.

The university would never look the other way on the type of hazing alleged after the Sandusky incident.

The university, DA and just local PR wouldn't ignore such a thing. No way in hell.

Reactions: Kelso86

The university would never look the other way on the type of hazing alleged after the Sandusky incident.

The university, DA and just local PR wouldn't ignore such a thing. No way in hell.
I have no idea what happened and neither do you but, if history teaches us anything, it's that it is naive to say there is no way they could have tried to cover this up.

Reactions: Bumpdaddy
I have no idea what happened and neither do you but, if history teaches us anything, it's that it is naive to say there is no way they could have tried to cover this up.
If ANYTHING aside from the Sandusky incident happened then perhaps...never say never....but given the magnitude of the Sandusky incident and getting a 2nd chance so to speak from a PR point of view....I'd say it's pretty safe to say anything even remotely edgy was not going to happen. They just can't afford it and I don't mean $$$$$

The DA there knows full well all eyes are watching the university and therefore eyes are fully fixated on him. Nationally and of equal importance locally.

If ANYTHING aside from the Sandusky incident happened then perhaps...never say never....but given the magnitude of the Sandusky incident and getting a 2nd chance so to speak from a PR point of view....I'd say it's pretty safe to say anything even remotely edgy was not going to happen. They just can't afford it and I don't mean $$$$$

The DA there knows full well all eyes are watching the university and therefore eyes are fully fixated on him. Nationally and of equal importance locally.
Right and the Catholic Church would never cover abuse after all of the scandal in its history.

Reactions: Golson5
Right and the Catholic Church would never cover abuse after all of the scandal in its history.
Considering there are thousands of catholic churches abroad it's just a little bit different than 1 location, 1 school, 1 program.

But hey...if you want to believe it then you'll keep the speculation alive in your mind forever.

I can only hope they bulldoze the place but I don't see this sticking. As for whether they'd do it again, it all comes down to how much did the discipline affect them. problem with any punishment is that when it ends sometimes you say "that wasnt too bad" and it doesnt change your behavior. If they feel they basically got away with it, they'd figure they can do it again. Obviously whatever was in place to ease their sanctions is still there (prestige, conference pull, etc)

Alternative view is that they feel they were unfairly treated last time so would not likely “trust the process” .... I live near many Penn State alums and fans and almost to a person they believe that Joe was the most innocent victim and the whole institution was unfairly punished and they gleefully celebrate any wrongdoing at any school.

Reactions: amazingreis
seems everyone is looking to sue anyone, for anything, in hopes of hitting the ‘new’ lottery!

Reactions: 88ND
Considering there are thousands of catholic churches abroad it's just a little bit different than 1 location, 1 school, 1 program.

But hey...if you want to believe it then you'll keep the speculation alive in your mind forever.
It’s not about locations but institutional leadership and culture or lack thereof.

Alternative view is that they feel they were unfairly treated last time so would not likely “trust the process” .... I live near many Penn State alums and fans and almost to a person they believe that Joe was the most innocent victim and the whole institution was unfairly punished and they gleefully celebrate any wrongdoing at any school.
That lines up with a lot of PSU fans I have heard from in the last 10 years. They refuse to admit that Paterno hid in his office and basically did the hear no evil, see no evil, speak no evil bit.

We'll have to see how this shakes out, but I have to say, I am with @88ND on this one. I think it extraordinarily unlikely there is truth to these claims. It is a lawsuit. For those not familiar with the legal system, anything can be alleged by the plaintiff in a complaint. To paraphrase Mark Twain, a lie will fly around the world while the truth is still getting its pants on. People hate PSU--and rightly so--for what happened there under Paterno's watch, but I cannot bring myself to believe that Coach Franklin permitted and then attempted to cover up these behaviors in light of the revelations of the shameful conduct that occurred under Sandusky and Paterno. But we will see, I guess.

One thing that seems curious to me: if this behavior was going on, wouldn't other players have been subjected to the same "hazing"? (I hesitate to call it that, because if true, it was criminal activity.) If another player or two comes out and backs up the claims of the plaintiff, then PSU has a real problem on its hands.

Last edited:
We'll have to see how this shakes out, but I have to say, I am with @88ND on this one. I think it extraordinarily unlikely there is truth to these claims. It is a lawsuit. For those not familiar with the legal system, anything can be alleged by the plaintiff in a complaint. To paraphrase Mark Twain, a lie will fly around the world while the truth is still getting its pants on. People hate PSU--and rightly so--for what happened there under Paterno's watch, but I cannot bring myself to believe that Coach Franklin permitted and then attempted to cover up these behaviors in light of the revelations of the conduct that occurred under Sandusky and Paterno. But we will see, I guess.

One thing that seems curious to me: if this behavior was going on, wouldn't other players have been subjected to the same "hazing"? (I hesitate to call it that, because if true, it was criminal activity.) If another player or two comes out and backs up the claims of the plaintiff, then PSU has a real problem on its hands.
Pretty much spot on.

The Centre Daily Times and Harrisburg Patriot News are just waiting for another moment to pounce all over the university with a gigantic national story.

I'm not trying to suggest an act mentioned is impossible. Could some other player done something to another player at some time? Well you can't monitor these kids 24/7 and it there is anything to be found I'd be willing to bet it was a teammate acting out alone with the hazing...or a few of them.

As far as Franklin knowing, assistants knowing and the university knowing and then turning the other cheek??? No way.
The university has gone above and beyond to have certain protocol in place should anyone who's a victim or feels like a victim can now report their issues without shame...etc.

Could a teammate have hazed another teammate? Sure. Kids can be stupid at times. But to suggest a huge cover up of such a gigantic issue is just being a self serving conspiracy vigilante.

It is hard to trust the investigators as it was done by penn state police, not exactly unbiased..... They should have called for outside investigators to keep any sense of prejudice (perceived or otherwise) from tainting the investigation. These are the same people who found no fault with sandusky for decades.

There are usually 3 sides to these type of things

1. The Players Side

2. The University Side

3. What really happened

Until I see more I don't think it's fair to anyone to state an opinion because the truth is we don't know.

I'm sure more facts will come out.

Reactions: Catholicfan95
There are usually 3 sides to these type of things

1. The Players Side

2. The University Side

3. What really happened

Until I see more I don't think it's fair to anyone to state an opinion because the truth is we don't know.

I'm sure more facts will come out.
Very true...

I do find his tweet a little odd. He doesn't particularly sound like a victim of a heinous incident.

He's giving well wishes to many folk, teammates, and even thanks to the university etc.

No that doesn't mean nothing happened but in my opinion someone who was a victim of something terrible wouldn't be very warming to the team/school as a whole.

I can't stress to people enough the press just waiting for anything to happen to blow up a story nationally that's still getting oxygen from the Sandusky ordeal. The Patriot News and CDT I believe have at least one person on the payroll that just combs the university daily. Just waiting for the next night story.

"There is no such thing as an appropriate joke. That's why it's called a joke."-Michael Scott.

Here is the deal. You have 18-23 year old kids interacting with each other and in the midst of that it is clear that some kids are more sensitive than others. Every time these hazing incidents occur I just have to stop and think how these kids were raised. I mean, what ever happened to people fending for themselves and standing up to confrontation? I honestly do not understand why it has to become a total media circus like this, all the while smearing the names of kids, literally they are kids, kids are dumb, is that suppose to be news to people? Yes there is a clear line that should not be crossed, but now more than ever I feel like everyone has their own line so you have to walk on egg shells. Again, there are plenty of senseless tragedies that happen daily but now a days its like everything is a freaking crisis and it is just so old, at least from my stand point.

Honestly, I find it hilarious that someone would say that he is going to "Sandusky" someone if they don't step it up. Maybe I have a sick sense of humor, but I also like to think that in no way shape or form is the person saying that referring to molestation of innocent young boys by a pedophilia, he is just joking. Again, I am not soft so words are funny to me and if I was in that locker room I would have died laughing.

Now, if kids are taking physical action and being abusive there is a difference and if that is the case then shame on them and the staff, but since we do not have any evidence of that and no one is saying it was physical it leads me to believe that this kid is a big baby.

"It is a big deal. It's a big deal! What are we supposed to do? Scrutinize every little thing we say and do all day? I mean, come on!" - Michael Scott

"There is no such thing as an appropriate joke. That's why it's called a joke."-Michael Scott.

Here is the deal. You have 18-23 year old kids interacting with each other and in the midst of that it is clear that some kids are more sensitive than others. Every time these hazing incidents occur I just have to stop and think how these kids were raised. I mean, what ever happened to people fending for themselves and standing up to confrontation? I honestly do not understand why it has to become a total media circus like this, all the while smearing the names of kids, literally they are kids, kids are dumb, is that suppose to be news to people? Yes there is a clear line that should not be crossed, but now more than ever I feel like everyone has their own line so you have to walk on egg shells. Again, there are plenty of senseless tragedies that happen daily but now a days its like everything is a freaking crisis and it is just so old, at least from my stand point.

Honestly, I find it hilarious that someone would say that he is going to "Sandusky" someone if they don't step it up. Maybe I have a sick sense of humor, but I also like to think that in no way shape or form is the person saying that referring to molestation of innocent young boys by a pedophilia, he is just joking. Again, I am not soft so words are funny to me and if I was in that locker room I would have died laughing.

Now, if kids are taking physical action and being abusive there is a difference and if that is the case then shame on them and the staff, but since we do not have any evidence of that and no one is saying it was physical it leads me to believe that this kid is a big baby.

"It is a big deal. It's a big deal! What are we supposed to do? Scrutinize every little thing we say and do all day? I mean, come on!" - Michael Scott

You may be right that, as a whole, we are becoming too thin-skinned. But as society evolves, boundaries get moved. Topics that were off limits many years ago are now nightly fodder in comedy clubs and on late night television.

Humor can be a tricky thing. A joke is intended to make people laugh. But when the purpose of a joke is to cause hurt, it stops being a joke. When and where that line is crossed always depends on the situation, and it is incumbent upon the joke teller to be able to recognize the difference. I am sure all of us have found ourselves attempting to make a joke about something and then immediately regretting doing so because it became obvious our joke wasn’t funny to our audience. Those can be awkward moments. To be sure, there are times when a person’s own behaviors make them fair game for being poked fun at; @deadprez3 comes to mind here. But making fun of another person because of a physical trait or condition starts getting onto thin ice. And when we make fun of people because of some misfortune (or worse yet, some tragedy) that befell them, the ice gets thinner still. I cringe when I hear jokes about priest pedophilia. That is not a joking matter to me. But some people find such jokes funny. I don’t. For me, I most enjoy self-deprecating humor. If we cannot laugh at ourselves, who can we laugh at?

Only a FOOL would pontificate that it cannot happen now.

If one thing homo sapiens have proven is that anything can happen anywhere.

Those claiming that everyone is watching so nothing could happen are stupid.

What if there is a coverup SPECIFICALLY because they are terrified of another incident coming out and finishing off the program?

LOOK at all the money and power that would be lost.

Not just in the athletic program but this time there would be serious consequences for the University itself.

Only a FOOL would pontificate that it cannot happen now.

If one thing homo sapiens have proven is that anything can happen anywhere.

Those claiming that everyone is watching so nothing could happen are stupid.

What if there is a coverup SPECIFICALLY because they are terrified of another incident coming out and finishing off the program?

LOOK at all the money and power that would be lost.

Not just in the athletic program but this time there would be serious consequences for the University itself.

@burmafrd1943, I am not clear whether your reply is directed at me, or someone else. I did not say, nor do I believe, that such things could never happen. In the realm of the possible, anything can happen. My point, however, is that I do not not believe it is likely to have happened as the plaintiff alleges. I do not doubt that the plaintiff could have been the subject of hazing, but it is another thing entirely to believe that the head coach, athletic department and university officials turned a blind eye entirely to the form of hazing the plaintiff says occurred and was reported, and indeed attempted to cover it up. Yes, that is precisely what happened with Sandusky, but that is why I would expect there is hyper-vigilance about such matters now. Perhaps I am naive, but I don't assume people are stupid, or with regard to what the plaintiff claims the defendants did, are colossally stupid. I read the entire complaint, and looked at some other things online, and let's just say I simply have my doubts. So in the realm of the probable, I am skeptical of the plaintiff's claims. But as was earlier said on this thread, we can be certain more facts will be developed on this situation, and then we will see where the dust settles.

Last edited:
@burmafrd1943, I am not clear whether your reply is directed at me, or someone else. I did not say, nor do I believe, that such things could never happen. In the realm of the possible, anything can happen. My point, however, is that I do not not believe it is likely to have happened as the plaintiff alleges. I do not doubt that the plaintiff could have been the subject of hazing, but it is another thing entirely to believe that the head coach, athletic department and university officials turned a blind eye entirely to the form of hazing the plaintiff says occurred and was reported, and indeed attempted to cover it up. Yes, that is precisely what happened with Sandusky, but that is why I would expect there is hyper-vigilance about such matters now. Perhaps I am naive, but I don't assume people are stupid, or with regard to what the plaintiff claims the defendants did, are colossally stupid. I read the entire complaint, and looked at some other things online, and let's just say I simply have my doubts. So in the realm of the probable, I am skeptical of the plaintiff's claims. But as was earlier said on this thread, we can be certain more facts will be developed on this situation, and then we will see where the dust settles.
In this case I doubt its serious. But one thing that human nature should teach everyone is never underestimate its stupidity, arrogance and venality. It can't happen here has been shot down so often it makes Snoopy look like an ace vs the Red Baron

Reactions: amazingreis
You may be right that, as a whole, we are becoming too thin-skinned. But as society evolves, boundaries get moved. Topics that were off limits many years ago are now nightly fodder in comedy clubs and on late night television.

Humor can be a tricky thing. A joke is intended to make people laugh. But when the purpose of a joke is to cause hurt, it stops being a joke. When and where that line is crossed always depends on the situation, and it is incumbent upon the joke teller to be able to recognize the difference. I am sure all of us have found ourselves attempting to make a joke about something and then immediately regretting doing so because it became obvious our joke wasn’t funny to our audience. Those can be awkward moments. To be sure, there are times when a person’s own behaviors make them fair game for being poked fun at; @deadprez3 comes to mind here. But making fun of another person because of a physical trait or condition starts getting onto thin ice. And when we make fun of people because of some misfortune (or worse yet, some tragedy) that befell them, the ice gets thinner still. I cringe when I hear jokes about priest pedophilia. That is not a joking matter to me. But some people find such jokes funny. I don’t. For me, I most enjoy self-deprecating humor. If we cannot laugh at ourselves, who can we laugh at?

Spot on. Being on a team alot of kids who grow up with siblings or close friends all their life treat teammates the same way, its both a good and bad thing. Some see it as a form of acceptance, others see it as an attack, it all depends on the situation. We are on the same page because we have common sense, your post was well received on this end and well thought out.

I haven't seen anything to indicate there was any attempt to "cover it up". There is a process, they went through the process, made a decision. None of us can tell if that decision was right or wrong. But I tend to agree with 88 on this (I know how shocking that is), there should be no school in the country more sensitive to sexual or abuse misconduct than Penn State is. Hard to imagine they messed something like this up.

check out USC!
virtually the entire AD staffs get axed but Clueless is the one sparred!
Gotta wonder if more sanction are forthcoming; even if self imposed. so why not keep the worst coach-in the country. There is no sense bring in a guy who has severe sanctions to deal with!

check out USC!
virtually the entire AD staffs get axed but Clueless is the one sparred!
Gotta wonder if more sanction are forthcoming; even if self imposed. so why not keep the worst coach-in the country. There is no sense bring in a guy who has severe sanctions to deal with!
Im sure as an SC fan, you are very sad about your program

I haven't seen anything to indicate there was any attempt to "cover it up". There is a process, they went through the process, made a decision. None of us can tell if that decision was right or wrong. But I tend to agree with 88 on this (I know how shocking that is), there should be no school in the country more sensitive to sexual or abuse misconduct than Penn State is. Hard to imagine they messed something like this up.
BUT just how much have they learned? JUST how much are they still in denial about all of it; especially Paterno's involvement. That must also be factored in. We saw the institutional resistance to taking the blame then; how sure can we be that they have truly learned their lesson and are absolutely determined that it never happen again?

seems everyone is looking to sue anyone, for anything, in hopes of hitting the ‘new’ lottery!

The American Dream. That reminds me it's gonna snow here in NYC this weekend. I gotta find someone that hasn't shoveled in 6 hours.

Reactions: d1042
BUT just how much have they learned? JUST how much are they still in denial about all of it; especially Paterno's involvement. That must also be factored in. We saw the institutional resistance to taking the blame then; how sure can we be that they have truly learned their lesson and are absolutely determined that it never happen again?

You can't be---it's impossible.

Why do you immediately take the side of the accuser ?

Do you believe him ?

You can't be---it's impossible.

Why do you immediately take the side of the accuser ?

Do you believe him ?
nope. If you have bothered to read the thread you will see where I am poking at those that insist its IMPOSSIBLE to happen now at Penn State. I am saying anyone making that stand is an idiot. It can always happen anywhere.

nope. If you have bothered to read the thread you will see where I am poking at those that insist its IMPOSSIBLE to happen now at Penn State. I am saying anyone making that stand is an idiot. It can always happen anywhere.

As can BS lawsuits

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT