ADVERTISEMENT

Parker press conference

Pennick4

I've posted how many times?
Feb 3, 2013
He seems like he is a no nonsense type of guy. Love it!
He talked about offense line coach search and with a wry smile said how there are many well qualified candidates interested. More than 1 full page .

I think the addition of a separate qb coach is positive. Takes some responsibility off the OC. While his time as OC wasn’t widely successful, they were WV football’s two best years under Neal Brown so far. Perhaps Parker maximized his talent there?

I think the addition of a separate qb coach is positive. Takes some responsibility off the OC. While his time as OC wasn’t widely successful, they were WV football’s two best years under Neal Brown so far. Perhaps Parker maximized his talent there?
I hope so

My concern is why did WV bring in a new OC if Parker was a good play caller?

Because he wasnt the real play caller and had differences with the head coach, the real OC
Which means Gino has more experience calling plays and should be the OC. But if ND finds a way to land Gino then maybe he will take over when Pucker drops the ball.

Because he wasnt the real play caller and had differences with the head coach, the real OC
Where are you getting this information???

Honestly, did you even know who Parker was before he came to ND? Did you watch any WV games and say hey, I wish we had a play caller like that?

Jury is out. I am not passing any judgment on this hire except to say it is a head scratcher.

Honestly, did you even know who Parker was before he came to ND? Did you watch any WV games and say hey, I wish we had a play caller like that?

Jury is out. I am not passing any judgment on this hire except to say it is a head scratcher.
Head Coach Neal Brown ran the offense while Gerad Parker was OC at West Virginia in 2020 and 2021. Just like Andy Reid and OC Eric Bieniemy. Golson is correct.

That said, I will wait until Mid October to judge Gino Guidugli and Gerad Parker.

Reactions: Kelso86
Anybody else puzzled by the fact that there wasn't a single question asked about recruiting?

Freeman made it clear when he was hired just 1 year ago that improving the talent base through recruiting was objective number 1, now his last class just finished 10th (about where it was when BK was here), and yet not a single comment and/or question about how these hires move him closer to his recruiting goals?

Watch what Deion is doing in Colorado right now. Watch how the organization will increase its talent in a big way *first* before the big wins and status ultimately follow. Nearly every national title winning program in the modern era preceded their national title trophy on the field with national titles on the recruiting trail first.

Last edited:
Players make coordinators look great. Example. you can run a jet sweep to a receiver or a back that is split wide. If everyone blocking does their job the play can go for decent yards. However, if you have player with elite speed, the play can go the distance. For me, getting great players is more important. When TR was calling plays, especially passes, he was handcuffed at the QB position. I have absolutely no idea how Parker will do as the offensive coordinator. But if the Irish can get excellent athletes on offense, I think that will help put any deficient areas he may have as play caller.

Reactions: chaseball
Players make coordinators look great. Example. you can run a jet sweep to a receiver or a back that is split wide. If everyone blocking does their job the play can go for decent yards. However, if you have player with elite speed, the play can go the distance. For me, getting great players is more important. When TR was calling plays, especially passes, he was handcuffed at the QB position. I have absolutely no idea how Parker will do as the offensive coordinator. But if the Irish can get excellent athletes on offense, I think that will help put any deficient areas he may have as play caller.
Brian Van Gorder made Notre Dame's defense look bad.

Clark Lea did not.

Head Coach Neal Brown ran the offense while Gerad Parker was OC at West Virginia in 2020 and 2021. Just like Andy Reid and OC Eric Bieniemy. Golson is correct.

That said, I will wait until Mid October to judge Gino Guidugli and Gerad Parker.
Nd has a chance [depending on o line coach hire [hopeful it is Matt Luke if he wants to return to football] to run the table. To me Clemson and USC seem the most obstacles as I believe ND can upend O$U this year and good chance of beating Clemson again even at Clemson. Hartman and Buchner tandem will make all the difference as well as getting the correct guards in place on Oline. I feel the D will be faster than last year with Possibly Kollie,Sneed,Mickey,X,Rubio,K,Botelho,Ford plus some frosh putting pressure on run and pass schemes of opponents. That doesn't include experience in Kiser,Bertrand,Cross,Mills,Osafa-Mensah,Hart. By the way,I think Vernon is gonna shock a lot of people at his potential.

Reactions: Kelso86

Irish Breakdown podcast and I believe the irish illustrated one.

He also kind of alluded to it in his presser

Nd has a chance [depending on o line coach hire [hopeful it is Matt Luke if he wants to return to football] to run the table. To me Clemson and USC seem the most obstacles as I believe ND can upend O$U this year and good chance of beating Clemson again even at Clemson. Hartman and Buchner tandem will make all the difference as well as getting the correct guards in place on Oline. I feel the D will be faster than last year with Possibly Kollie,Sneed,Mickey,X,Rubio,K,Botelho,Ford plus some frosh putting pressure on run and pass schemes of opponents. That doesn't include experience in Kiser,Bertrand,Cross,Mills,Osafa-Mensah,Hart. By the way,I think Vernon is gonna shock a lot of people at his potential.
Osu
Usc
Clemson

Thats how Id rank them

Irish Breakdown podcast and I believe the irish illustrated one.

He also kind of alluded to it in his presser
All good resources, just remember all are businesses related to clicks and views. I feel their Intel is really good, some of their opinions are simply not

All good resources, just remember all are businesses related to clicks and views. I feel their Intel is really good, some of their opinions are simply not
They all made it clear it wasn't opinion and backed up by multiple sources

Anybody else puzzled by the fact that there wasn't a single question asked about recruiting?

Freeman made it clear when he was hired just 1 year ago that improving the talent base through recruiting was objective number 1, now his last class just finished 10th (about where it was when BK was here), and yet not a single comment and/or question about how these hires move him closer to his recruiting goals?

Watch what Deion is doing in Colorado right now. Watch how the organization will increase its talent in a big way *first* before the big wins and status ultimately follow. Nearly every national title winning program in the modern era preceded their national title trophy on the field with national titles on the recruiting trail first.
recruiting is about impact players; not so much about class rankings.

Clark Lea did not.
Good point. But I think there is a big difference between offense and defense. On defense if you are out of place or take a wrong angle on a tackle or pass rush , that could result in a big play for the opponent. The offense doesn’t always have to be in the right position. A run may be designed to go right and there may not be a lane. However, the back can change direction and in many cases pick up positive yards and at times lots of yards. Only two examples but you get what I’m saying.

Clark Lea did not.
Defense was good during the entire BK era minus the BVG era. And I don't even blame BVG entirely for the poor defense, there were some massive injuries/defections/suspensions that crippled the 2 deep before the start of one of those really bad years (maybe 2015). Defense was also poorly recruited prior to BVG taking over on defense.

I think a change was needed though and BVG just happened to be the coordinator here during the perfect storm of bad stuff happening. There were foundationally a lot of bad things working in his favor that prevented him from having success.

Defense was good during the entire BK era minus the BVG era. And I don't even blame BVG entirely for the poor defense, there were some massive injuries/defections/suspensions that crippled the 2 deep before the start of one of those really bad years (maybe 2015). Defense was also poorly recruited prior to BVG taking over on defense.

I think a change was needed though and BVG just happened to be the coordinator here during the perfect storm of bad stuff happening. There were foundationally a lot of bad things working in his favor that prevented him from having success.
Nonsense on BVG. He's one of the worst defensive coaches I've ever seen and he's been terrible everywhere he's gone since Notre Dame

Nonsense on BVG. He's one of the worst defensive coaches I've ever seen and he's been terrible everywhere he's gone since Notre Dame
My post wasn't really a defense of BVG but pointing out there were a lot of external factors working against him.

The two recruiting classes leading up to BVGs tenure had a late-collapse defensively and many established/key veterans on defense were injured/suspended/defected in 2014/2015 (from what I recall)

A lot of that was turned around post-BVG though, especially the balance/depth of recruiting classes (although those classes still lacked the kind of top-end talent needed to win national titles)

It also didn't help that BVG just didn't seem like a right fit and his coaching career was pretty much toast after that.

For all the talk of recruits needing to choose the right organization/fit for their careers, I think for coaches it's even more so.

My post wasn't really a defense of BVG but pointing out there were a lot of external factors working against him.

The two recruiting classes leading up to BVGs tenure had a late-collapse defensively and many established/key veterans on defense were injured/suspended/defected in 2014/2015 (from what I recall)

A lot of that was turned around post-BVG though, especially the balance/depth of recruiting classes (although those classes still lacked the kind of top-end talent needed to win national titles)

It also didn't help that BVG just didn't seem like a right fit and his coaching career was pretty much toast after that.

For all the talk of recruits needing to choose the right organization/fit for their careers, I think for coaches it's even more so.
Nah

happy hour drinking GIF

Then why did the defense suddenly improve on Sept 25th 2016? We didn't add any players.

Y
Yeah agree….BVG was a one trick pony and it took the college world 6 games to figure it out

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT