ADVERTISEMENT

Parker not fired, but demoted instead

My guess is Guidugli will take over OC for remainder of the season. Parker will probably be retained as TE coach. Another search for an OC this offseason will ensue, but I can imagine Guidugli gets considered.

Reactions: Kelso86
Not sure how you can judge anyone based on Wake and Stanford.

I don’t think you should give Gino hope. If you don’t hire him, he will leave.

Fire Parker after the year. Hire a dynamic and famous OC. Gino is a QB coach and we need him to be that.

The sites some of you read/post links from....man. Pretty sad.

USC just fired their DC so it is not an off season decision
True but USC’s defense is ranked #124 and #123 in scoring defense and total defense, respectively.

ND’s offense is #15 and #45 respectively in scoring offense and total offense although ND’s scoring offense is probably inflated by an above average number of short fields.

USC’s defense is truly atrocious.

True but USC’s defense is ranked #124 and #123 in scoring defense and total defense, respectively.

ND’s offense is #15 and #45 respectively in scoring offense and total offense although ND’s scoring offense is probably inflated by an above average number of short fields.

Its apples and oranges....ND has to to what is best for ND regardless of USC's decisions or anyone else's. Waiting for the offseason to inventory candidates makes no sense...even if the hiring decision comes down the road, which it will, hopefully. If ND decides to promote from within again...might as well have left Parker where he was. Besides, the recruiting class needs to see some stability, not chaos. We have worked the minor leagues to death....time to swing for the fences on O.

If you want a metric that takes into account short fields, defensive influence, opponent strength, garbage time, etc., take a look at offensive efficiency.

Notre Dame is 17th in offensive efficiency. Another metric thst gets even more granular, OF+, still has ND at 22nd.

USC just fired their DC so it is not an off season decision
While our offense has struggled lately, USC didn‘t even have a competent unit out there while possessing decent talent, so it’s quite a big difference.

Last edited:
If you want a metric that takes into account short fields, defensive influence, opponent strength, garbage time, etc., take a look at defensive efficiency.

Notre Dame is 17th in offensive efficiency. Another metric thst gets even more granular, OF+, still has ND at 22nd.

While our offense has struggled lately, USC didn‘t even have a competent unit out there while possessing decent talent, so it’s quite a big difference.
Lol all true

Its apples and oranges....ND has to to what is best for ND regardless of USC's decisions or anyone else's. Waiting for the offseason to inventory candidates makes no sense...even if the hiring decision comes down the road, which it will, hopefully. If ND decides to promote from within again...might as well have left Parker where he was. Besides, the recruiting class needs to see some stability, not chaos. We have worked the minor leagues to death....time to swing for the fences on O.
It is apples to oranges. I’m not in favor of firing Parker.

Why didn’t Freeman fire Golden after USC? Freeman could have and maybe should have (or even fired himself — obviously not going to happen). ND got out-schemed and out-called in that game. Most people don’t go back and break the games down or attempt to see why USC’s offense dominated. Its not as simple as “they have Caleb Williams”. That was an atrocious defensive gameplan and performance from Freeman and the defensive staff. Laughable. Yet Golden and Freeman are still here.

If I told you prior to the season that, after ten games, ND’s defense would be ranked #7 in total defense and #45 in total offense, would you take that? I would.

ND’s total offense also isn’t helped by having so many short fields on which to score. I’m not trying to say the offense is great either. That was a disappointing second half and performance against Louisville.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tru2Irish
If you want a metric that takes into account short fields, defensive influence, opponent strength, garbage time, etc., take a look at offensive efficiency.

And he was in year 2.

It is apples to oranges. I’m not in favor of firing Parker.

Why didn’t Freeman fire Golden after USC? Freeman could have and maybe should have (or even fired himself — obviously not going to happen). ND got out-schemed and out-called in that game. Most people don’t go back and break the games down or attempt to see why USC’s offense dominated. Its not as simple as “they have Caleb Williams”. That was an atrocious defensive gameplan and performance from Freeman and the defensive staff. Laughable. Yet Golden and Freeman are still here.

If I told you prior to the season that, after ten games, ND’s offense would be ranked #7 in total offense and #45 in total offense, would you take that? I would.

ND’s total offense also isn’t helped by having so many short fields on which to score. I’m not trying to say the offense is great either. That was a disappointing second half and performance against Louisville.
Wasn't ND down some key starters on D vs SC 2022? I know Hart was out and Mickey was making his first start vs that O.

Wasn't ND down some key starters on D vs SC 2022? I know Hart was out and Mickey was making his first start vs that O.
ND did miss Hart. Mickey had a tough game and I do think the staff perhaps tried to help him a little and that made ND weaker against the run. Fair point. I don’t think there was anyone else out. Maybe Rubio.

They dropped in a 3-3 look they hadn’t used all year. Had formational playcalls that gave them no chance based on down and distance, used the same weak run blitzes, stayed in those same blitzes when USC traded the back to the other side of the formation and ran the ball away from the blitz. Put Kollie to the field and predictably blitzed him. Williams checked and ran a gap scheme away from him. They only once ran a line stunt that helped them cancel out an extra gap. Blitzed the whole second half pretty much. Awful. Freeman did learn though so that’s good.

Reactions: tbonesays
ND did miss Hart. Mickey had a tough game and I do think the staff perhaps tried to help him a little and that made ND weaker against the run. Fair point. I don’t think there was anyone else out. Maybe Rubio.

They dropped in a 3-3 look they hadn’t used all year. Had formational playcalls that gave them no chance based on down and distance, used the same weak run blitzes, stayed in those same blitzes when USC traded the back to the other side of the formation and ran the ball away from the blitz. Put Kollie to the field and predictably blitzed him. Williams checked and ran a gap scheme away from him. They only once ran a line stunt that helped them cancel out an extra gap. Blitzed the whole second half pretty much. Awful. Freeman did learn though so that’s good.
Hate the 3-3. Absolutely, positively.

Reactions: FightingIrish44
Hate the 3-3. Absolutely, positively.
I really like what NC State is doing and they’re getting results. Would love that guy to come to ND if Golden leaves.

My jaw almost hit the floor when I saw Liufau drop presnap from DE to MLB in a 3-3. To me that’s amateur when you drop in a new special scheme for a special opponent. Maybe they should have focused on tackling and defending USC’s base plays from their 4-2 Cover 1 base defense? Maybe ND wins?

I really like what NC State is doing and they’re getting results. Would love that guy to come to ND if Golden leaves.

My jaw almost hit the floor when I saw Liufau drop presnap from DE to MLB in a 3-3. To me that’s amateur when you drop in a new special scheme for a special opponent. Maybe they should have focused on tackling and defending USC’s base plays from their 4-2 Cover 1 base defense? Maybe ND wins?
It's a better Defense IMO. 4-2-5

It's a better Defense IMO. 4-2-5
I like it more too but I’m sure you’d agree the execution of said schemes is most important. I really want to do a deep dive on NC State. They really seem to get their guys playing downhill fast. Looks like they like to slant the Nose to A gap. 5 tech slants into B gap. Mike fast flows now into C. That’s what I recall. From a 3-3 look.

Watch Liufau’s technique when ND blitzes. I get that his job isn’t to get downhill but he ends up defending nothing and he’s just doing what he’s coached to do. I think he should just play a base read technique and fill his appropriate gap rather than shuffling and waiting for the back to make the move.

It can’t be worse than what ND is having him do.

Reactions: tbonesays
I read a few articles concerning Parker and most concur he did not want to be OC, basically it was forced on him. The blame goes back to the administration staff.

I like it more too but I’m sure you’d agree the execution of said schemes is most important. I really want to do a deep dive on NC State. They really seem to get their guys playing downhill fast. Looks like they like to slant the Nose to A gap. 5 tech slants into B gap. Mike fast flows now into C. That’s what I recall. From a 3-3 look.

Watch Liufau’s technique when ND blitzes. I get that his job isn’t to get downhill but he ends up defending nothing and he’s just doing what he’s coached to do. I think he should just play a base read technique and fill his appropriate gap rather than shuffling and waiting for the back to make the move.

It can’t be worse than what ND is having him do.
ND's LB's blitz to nowhere on the regular. Not just Marist.

ND's LB's blitz to nowhere on the regular. Not just Marist.
Right but I’m referring to when others blitz and Liufau is playing a technique where he doesn’t fill downhill but sort of is making sure there’s no leakage. That’s when I’d like to see him just read the back or guard and play normal.

That long TD run was painful to watch. The safety runs by the running back and Liufau is basically floating and defending nothing. Despite the defensive rankings, it still irritates the heck out of me at times. It should be better.

Right but I’m referring to when others blitz and Liufau is playing a technique where he doesn’t fill downhill but sort of is making sure there’s no leakage. That’s when I’d like to see him just read the back or guard and play normal.

That long TD run was painful to watch. The safety runs by the running back and Liufau is basically floating and defending nothing. Despite the defensive rankings, it still irritates the heck out of me at times. It should be better.
That's his game. Floating and defending nothing. some might be scheme but I think it's a lot to do with him. He has the skill set of a 3-4 outside LB and the body of an Inside LB.

I read a few articles concerning Parker and most concur he did not want to be OC, basically it was forced on him. The blame goes back to the administration staff.
Can you link these articles that state Parker being quoted that he did not want to be OC?

There are some very promising players committed for the next two classes on offense. Getting this coaching thing right is something that won't be overlooked by them, their families and opposing recruiters. Its a catch 22....you need both stability in the coaching ranks and the best available OC. Is Freeman up to the task on this decision?

There are some very promising players committed for the next two classes on offense. Getting this coaching thing right is something that won't be overlooked by them, their families and opposing recruiters. Its a catch 22....you need both stability in the coaching ranks and the best available OC. Is Freeman up to the task on this decision?
There are good to great OCs out there. Whether MF recognizes them or their availablity might be another thing. Will the new AD be on the same page? Will Freeman look past friendships and recognize to be the best program, you have to get the best?

If ND does not go after Ludwig or the likes of him then it is going to be the same old. Parker goes back to tight ends coach.

This is an off season decision. CMF isn’t pulling Parker with two games to go.
That's not true. OCs and DCs get demoted in season all the time. That is a totally common phenomenon. I don't know if this is true in this case, and maybe this is just a bad rumor, and only credulous chumps on the internet would trust a source like Bleacher Report....

But it's certainly not unprecedented for this to happen. And I don't think anyone would even blink at the prospect of our sorry-ass OC getting demoted after another underwhelming performance. At least I hope no one would be shocked. Given how, as I mentioned, this exact thing has happened many, many times before, that being a shitty, underperforming OC getting demoted in season....

Really? Interesting. I can certainly believe that he wouldn't be expecting to get the job. That makes the whole situation even worse. Old boy knows he's in over his head as an OC, he's really just happy his buddy got him a job at old ND, and he can make six figures being a lowly position coach and punching the clock. And then all of a sudden he has to bear the burden of the whole offense, along with MF's young career sort of hanging in the balance.

And not too surprisingly, it hasn't gone great. It hasn't gone disastrously, but not great either. So why didn't we go with the rather experienced former Wisky OL/OC who's now our OL coach, or with Gino, who himself was seemingly more ready for a role like this? Maybe they figured the whole season was a wash anyway, was a throwaway, and a new OC would be found for 2024 in any case, so let's simply soldier through 2023 and then regroup. And all Parker wants to do is keep his TE-coach gig. So his preference would have always been to keep his head down, and let the OC situation play itself out without him involved.

Indeed, bottom line, Swarbrick/MF effed this up....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT