ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Will Sign Stealing Keep Carlos Beltran out of Hall of Fame

fedman

I've posted how many times?
Gold Member
Jul 28, 2002
https://nypost.com/2020/02/11/carlo...ess-godfather-in-astros-sign-stealing-scheme/

I have attached one of a number of stories that have come out this past week that paints Carlos Beltran as the Alpha-dog on the Houston Astros team. These stories point out that Beltran was the ringleader among the players who pushed hard for the use of this sign stealing scheme - even though reports have shown that the entire scheme was a front office initiative.

Now Beltan's deep involvement in this scandal has already cost him his job as Mets manager. I now wonder if this black eye with the sign stealing will keep him out of the Hall of Fame. I should preface this by saying that while I feel he was clearly a very good player (certainly better than our whipping boy Harold Baines), I thought he resided right on the line between Hall of Fame player and Hall of Very Good player.

I do know that a lot of the baseball experts and writers, especially the New York writers, had slowly but surely started their campaign to get Beltran voted into the Hall of Fame prior to the sign stealing scandal. I wonder if his apparent deep involvement in the sign stealing scheme will give his Hall of Fame supporters pause.

I personally feel that his worthiness for induction into the Hall of Fame should be judges solely on what he did on the field. There is no indication that, except for his last season in Houston, that he ever benefited from any illegal electronic sign stealing. However, he was considered one of the best ever at on the field sign stealing.

I just happen to feel that his career falls just short of Hall of Fame status. He never led his league in any offensive categories and never won an MVP award. He never reached any of the "automatic for the Hall of Fame" career stat lines like 500 home runs or 3,000 hits. He was never considered "the best at his position" during the era that he played. Again, even disregarding his part in the sign stealing scandal, I don't feel Beltran is Hall of Fame worthy.

But for a marginal candidate like Beltran, involvement in a scandal like the sign stealing one, could be just enough to prevent him from being voted into the Hall of Fame.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News