ADVERTISEMENT

OT Need Some Help

NotreDame du Lac

Posts Like A Champion
Jan 29, 2015
I do not mean to annoy anyone with this but I know there are a lot of good folks here that might be able to help a worried dad out with something that’s really bothering me. I have a child just over 1. She chews on everything. Recently she chewed varnish off of our dining room chairs, she’s also chewed paint off multiple toys, and her crib. Has anyone else experienced anything like this with their kids? It’s got me quite worried about future diseases and stuff like that. We have been to the doctor once before and are taking her again, but I’m looking for some mental relief. If you had/have kids go through something similar are they still in one piece? Again, sorry for a post like this but this is the only forum I’m part of and trust you guys because there are a lot of good folks on here. I’ve been a part of this community for a long time. Thanks all!

I do not mean to annoy anyone with this but I know there are a lot of good folks here that might be able to help a worried dad out with something that’s really bothering me. I have a child just over 1. She chews on everything. Recently she chewed varnish off of our dining room chairs, she’s also chewed paint off multiple toys, and her crib. Has anyone else experienced anything like this with their kids? It’s got me quite worried about future diseases and stuff like that. We have been to the doctor once before and are taking her again, but I’m looking for some mental relief. If you had/have kids go through something similar are they still in one piece? Again, sorry for a post like this but this is the only forum I’m part of and trust you guys because there are a lot of good folks on here. I’ve been a part of this community for a long time. Thanks all!
Did you try a binky?

Reactions: NotreDame du Lac

It’s not uncommon.

Just be vigilant !

Probably nothing to worry about with toys. They should have no hazardous material short of actually consuming the toy. But you need to watch carefully with other household items, like furniture. There are kids who literally put anything they can touch into their mouth. Eventually it goes away as you go from stage to stage.

Teething... quite common. Get some teething type toys made for toddlers/babies. Our two daughters liked the ones you stick in the freezer and we also had little soft hand towels they held all the time and chewed on/sucked on. Hang in there....then you can experience the teenage years like we are now. YAY!!! :(:mad::eek:

We have teethers and pacifiers that she likes. The varnish she chewed off the chairs scares me. I actually put them in the garage so it won’t be happening again. I just worry about the damage already done and wondered if anyone has gone through this.

Last edited:
I think taking her to the doc will give you peace of mind. It more likely is nothing but ruling out a vitamin deficiency or any other issues like anxiety will give you a heads up on getting her the proper care.

...always trust your gut when it comes to your child's health. :)

Well, you probably won’t appreciate my post on this. My perspective is that this is the beginning of teaching your child that some things are a no no. Whether it’s a smack on the butt, or a slap on the hand, or a loud voice of disapproval, etc... I think you need to know what negative stimulus she responds to, and selectively use this when she does something you think is potentially harmful. As some have noted, teething is invariably going on and this is part of the stimulus to put things into her mouth and chomping down. I’m going on 70, and I know younger generations have differing views on raising children, but my recommendation is to be vigilant of anything potentially harmful, teach and selectively punish when she puts potentially harmful things in her mouth, and chill.

Well, you probably won’t appreciate my post on this. My perspective is that this is the beginning of teaching your child that some things are a no no. Whether it’s a smack on the butt, or a slap on the hand, or a loud voice of disapproval, etc... I think you need to know what negative stimulus she responds to, and selectively use this when she does something you think is potentially harmful. As some have noted, teething is invariably going on and this is part of the stimulus to put things into her mouth and chomping down. I’m going on 70, and I know younger generations have differing views on raising children, but my recommendation is to be vigilant of anything potentially harmful, teach and selectively punish when she puts potentially harmful things in her mouth, and chill.

I never, ever would make a major decision without checking with TelX. He is always money for me

problem is I’m retired and my decision making days are few. But TelX should be a Presidential Advisor

I never, ever would make a major decision without checking with TelX. He is always money for me

problem is I’m retired and my decision making days are few. But TelX should be a Presidential Advisor

And my wife who is a early childhood educator of 40 years and a genius in this field who has given countless frustrated parents advice says —. This to will pass. The baby is teething. Have safe things handy to chew on. And “No” is a good word to learn

Hell ski, I still want to get the squadron up in the air again, but Miami of two years ago seems to have grounded us permanently. Didn’t know you are among the retired population, but wish like hell you and many others here were within easy visiting distance. Imagine you and Dip and Bodi and stu and Rgc7, and me, et al watching the Clemson game together on a large TV screen with choice of libation and fun eats to boot. Not many out of the closet ND fans in my prior Northern Cal community, but clearly some haters. We recently bought a home under construction in Henderson, Nevada...fast growing city East and South of Las Vegas, and hoping to find some Like minded skis in the area.

Hell ski, I still want to get the squadron up in the air again, but Miami of two years ago seems to have grounded us permanently. Didn’t know you are among the retired population, but wish like hell you and many others here were within easy visiting distance. Imagine you and Dip and Bodi and stu and Rgc7, and me, et al watching the Clemson game together on a large TV screen with choice of libation and fun eats to boot. Not many out of the closet ND fans in my prior Northern Cal community, but clearly some haters. We recently bought a home under construction in Henderson, Nevada...fast growing city East and South of Las Vegas, and hoping to find some Like minded skis in the area.

well Stu as most call him is really Don and he is in southern Cal not far from you
I’m in NAPLES Fl. Bodi is?
That would be fun

maybe in 2020 we get the squadron up in the air again

I have a two year old. Shes Shes teething. Try different items like pacifiers, frozen pedialite popsicles, and there is a pacifier like thing with a net that you can put frozen pieces of fruit, ice, or popsicles in. Just keep trying different things you want her to naw on and she will stop looking for alternatives.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT