ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Joe Theismann

Irishjohn68

All Star
Gold Member
Sep 1, 2003
I watch last night the Football Life on NFL Network of Joe. I’m not old enough to have watched Joe at ND, I did not see him play in the CFL or remember much of his early NFL career (1974 etc) but I do remember his run to two Super Bowls. My Dad (RIP) talked very highly of Joe while at ND.

But why isn’t Joe in the Hall of Fame? I remember the horrible broken leg on Monday night football. For those of you who saw him play at ND what were/are your thoughts of Joe’s ND years? I’ll beat he was a ton of fun to follow him and Ara in the early 1970’s. I love to hear your stories.

Reactions: mcleanva1
All I know he was good enough as a sophomore that he replaced Hanratty in the lineup when he got hurt, while Coley O'Brien, who replaced Hanratty in the 1966 Michigan State game, was relegated to halfback duties.

He ran exceptionally well and was an excellent passer, though Ara didn't like to pass much unless we were behind (for example, USC 1970 when Theismann threw for over 500 yards in a deluge.)

My favorite game of Theismann's was his last, the 1971 Cotton Bowl when ND upset Texas.

I watch last night the Football Life on NFL Network of Joe. I’m not old enough to have watched Joe at ND, I did not see him play in the CFL or remember much of his early NFL career (1974 etc) but I do remember his run to two Super Bowls. My Dad (RIP) talked very highly of Joe while at ND.

But why isn’t Joe in the Hall of Fame? I remember the horrible broken leg on Monday night football. For those of you who saw him play at ND what were/are your thoughts of Joe’s ND years? I’ll beat he was a ton of fun to follow him and Ara in the early 1970’s. I love to hear your stories.
I recently watched that, too. We must be about the same age, because I remember the later part of his career, too. I think the reason he's not in the NFL HOF could be because he didn't rack up enough career stats. He didn't actually become the starter in Washington until 1978, then he played until the injury in '85. But he was a very good QB - he won a SB and an NFL MVP. He's in the CFB HOF, though.

All I know he was good enough as a sophomore that he replaced Hanratty in the lineup when he got hurt, while Coley O'Brien, who replaced Hanratty in the 1966 Michigan State game, was relegated to halfback duties.

He ran exceptionally well and was an excellent passer, though Ara didn't like to pass much unless we were behind (for example, USC 1970 when Theismann threw for over 500 yards in a deluge.)

My favorite game of Theismann's was his last, the 1971 Cotton Bowl when ND upset Texas.
I can’t say I remembered watching Joe as QB at ND, though I’m sure I might have. I do vaguely remember he was up for the Heisman but Jim Plunkett won. I always liked Joe as a QB and even as a game commentator. Joe is a great example of having perseverance and determination. By the way I saw a condensed version of the 1970 SC game in Coleseum. To throw for 526 yards in a monsoon is incredible. But let’s also not forget that was in 1970. Teams weren’t throwing for 200 yards in sunny and 70 conditions in those days. Pretty amazing then and would be amazing even in today’s pass happy game

It’s kind of funny and smart move for ND to change the pronunciation of his last name to rhyme with Heisman trophy? Didn’t work out the way they wanted but he did finish second.

It’s kind of funny and smart move for ND to change the pronunciation of his last name to rhyme with Heisman trophy? Didn’t work out the way they wanted but he did finish second.
Have met Theismann a couple different times over the years. The guy has legit passion for ND football. Very similar to Brady Quinn. You need those types leading your team.

Joe did all anyone humanly could in that USC game; the second time USC cost us a NC.

WIll always hate USC FOR THAT

As regards the pros, Joe simply was not that good. There is no chance he could EVER reach the HOF.

56.7 completion rate, 168 TDs 138 INTs 77.4 passer rating really doe not even get him into the Hall of the Very GOOD.

Joe did all anyone humanly could in that USC game; the second time USC cost us a NC.

As regards the pros, Joe simply was not that good. There is no chance he could EVER reach the HOF.

56.7 completion rate, 168 TDs 138 INTs 77.4 passer rating really doe not even get him into the Hall of the Very GOOD.
That was a different era. Terry Bradshaw had 212 TDs and 210 INTs in his career, and a 70.9 passer rating. And he's obviously in the HOF.

Anyone who starts for an NFL team and sets that NFL team’s records, is named NFL MVP and leads them to a Super Bowl win is a great QB !

As for the pros, Theismann wasn’t any good? Lol. He was one of the best qbs in the nfl for a good 3-5 yr stretch. Should’ve gotten the nod earlier too cuz Kilmer was washed up.

As for the pros, Theismann wasn’t any good? Lol. He was one of the best qbs in the nfl for a good 3-5 yr stretch. Should’ve gotten the nod earlier too cuz Kilmer was washed up.
HE was very good for a while and that is all.

That was a different era. Terry Bradshaw had 212 TDs and 210 INTs in his career, and a 70.9 passer rating. And he's obviously in the HOF.
Being on arguably one of the greatest teams ever got him into the HOF. 4 rings will get the starting QB into the SB.

Did Terry Bradshaw EVER lead the NFL in passing or even come close? He did win a MVP in 1978. HE only made the Pro Bowl twice. MVP is a big deal but that means that year you were very popular. True the stats were different back then but HE NEVER WAS A GREAT PLAYER.

He never made All Pro, and as I said he never came close to leading the NFL in passing.

To be blunt Bradshaw should not be in the HOF. The Steeler success got him in. And he was important in that but still that does not make him worthy of the HOF. That is what I mean about the Hall of the Very Good; which is where he belonged.

Being on arguably one of the greatest teams ever got him into the HOF. 4 rings will get the starting QB into the SB.

Did Terry Bradshaw EVER lead the NFL in passing or even come close? He did win a MVP in 1978. HE only made the Pro Bowl twice. MVP is a big deal but that means that year you were very popular. True the stats were different back then but HE NEVER WAS A GREAT PLAYER.

He never made All Pro, and as I said he never came close to leading the NFL in passing.

To be blunt Bradshaw should not be in the HOF. The Steeler success got him in. And he was important in that but still that does not make him worthy of the HOF. That is what I mean about the Hall of the Very Good; which is where he belonged.
Yes he should. That is ridiculous. Those were HOF numbers during that time

Yes he should. That is ridiculous. Those were HOF numbers during that time
Sure. Ken Anderson had much better numbers that entire time and has never gotten close to the HOF.
Some people are so ill informed about reality

Bradshaw's certainly a HOF quarterback. And he also had two SB MVPs as well. But back to the original topic, Theismann's stats compare with HOF QBs from his era like Bradshaw and Bob Griese. Griese and Theismann both passed for just over 25,000 yards and both had QB ratings of 77. And Theismann ran for more yards (1800 vs 900). And yet Griese's in the HOF and Theismann isn't. Both won Super Bowls. So there's definitely a case for Theismann IMO. Maybe he'll get in on the Veterans' Committee someday.

Bradshaw's certainly a HOF quarterback. And he also had two SB MVPs as well. But back to the original topic, Theismann's stats compare with HOF QBs from his era like Bradshaw and Bob Griese. Griese and Theismann both passed for just over 25,000 yards and both had QB ratings of 77. And Theismann ran for more yards (1800 vs 900). And yet Griese's in the HOF and Theismann isn't. Both won Super Bowls. So there's definitely a case for Theismann IMO. Maybe he'll get in on the Veterans' Committee someday.
👍

Always amazed that there is anything called a Bradshaw Homer but then we truly are diverse here.

Sort of like finding an honest person in Congress
COMPLETELY SHOCKING.

So is there a case for Mark Rypien and the other 2 QBs taht won SBs with Washington?

You gomers are so truly stupid on this.

FIND ME ANYONE with respectable credentials that agree with you.

GO AHEAD I DARE YOU!

So is there a case for Mark Rypien and the other 2 QBs taht won SBs with Washington?

GO AHEAD I DARE YOU!
Of course not - Rypien and Doug Williams didn't have the career stats needed. But Theismann, with over 25,000 yds, at least has an argument compared to other QBs from his era who are in the HOF. Joe Namath's another HOFer from that era with worse stats than Theismann. Namath threw for more INTs than TD passes and had a lower QB rating than Theismann. And he only had 2,000 more passing yards (27,000).

GO AHEAD I DARE YOU!
Did any of those QB’s set multiple franchise records ?

Of course not - Rypien and Doug Williams didn't have the career stats needed. But Theismann, with over 25,000 yds, at least has an argument compared to other QBs from his era who are in the HOF. Joe Namath's another HOFer from that era with worse stats than Theismann. Namath threw for more INTs than TD passes and had a lower QB rating than Theismann. And he only had 2,000 more passing yards (27,000).
“The word "genius" isn't applicable in football. A
Genius is a guy like Norman Einstein.”
― Joe Theismann
At least his education paid off!

“The word "genius" isn't applicable in football. A
Genius is a guy like Norman Einstein.”
― Joe Theismann
At least his education paid off!
What few people know is that Albert had a twin brother, “Norman” who was actually smarter than Albert. But Norman was the black sheep of the family, having gotten into trouble bordering on scandals and having been married seven times.
When asked why he took so many trips down the aisle, he claimed that he had an insatiable desire for the taste for wedding cake.

While Albert was associated with Princeton, Norman headed west to, California, eventually landing in Hollywood, where he dyed his hair and joined three other brothers who were in the entertainment business.

Afraid that people might recognize his distinctive voice and highly intelligent intellect, he decided to remain silent and pose as a mute, thus concealing his brilliant mind.

He also changed his legal name to “Harpo” and the rest is history !

What few people know is that Albert had a twin brother, “Norman” who was actually smarter than Albert. But Norman was the black sheep of the family, having gotten into trouble bordering on scandals and having been married seven times.
When asked why he took so many trips down the aisle, he claimed that he had an insatiable desire for the taste for wedding cake.

While Albert was associated with Princeton, Norman headed west to, California, eventually landing in Hollywood, where he dyed his hair and joined three other brothers who were in the entertainment business.

Afraid that people might recognize his distinctive voice and highly intelligent intellect, he decided to remain silent and pose as a mute, thus concealing his brilliant mind.

He also changed his legal name to “Harpo” and the rest is history !
Wrong…epic fail!
Maria "Maja" Einstein (18 November 1881 – 25 June 1951) and her older brother, Albert, were the two children of Hermann Einstein and Pauline Einstein (née Koch), who had moved from Ulm to Munich in June 1881, when Albert was one.

• Haha
Reactions: sluggo69
Wrong…epic fail!
Maria "Maja" Einstein (18 November 1881 – 25 June 1951) and her older brother, Albert, were the two children of Hermann Einstein and Pauline Einstein (née Koch), who had moved from Ulm to Munich in June 1881, when Albert was one.
I knew that some dolts wouldn’t get it ! 😜

Namath is a special case: the biggest reason he is in the HOF was

"I GUARANTEE IT!"

And I guess I should not be surprised how many stupid people do not get that so you have a lot of company

And why would franchise records mean all that much if they are nowhere near NFL RECORDS?
Because not every QB in the HOF has NFL records or “near” NFL records.

Having NFL records is not the sole criterion for gaining entry into the HOF.

You know that because you cited Joe Namath.

You can’t have it both ways.

IMO and I did not see all of Joe’s career he is a HOFer.

Here is another one Jim Plunkett. Two SB wins. Is he a Hall of Famer?

Great comparison. Joe Theismann had legitimately great NFL stats for his era. No one has mentioned this, but he also played in two Super Bowls. In ‘83, his MVP year, the Redskins had a 14-2 team that beat Montana and the 49ers in the NFC Championship. They eventually got beaten by the Raiders. If Griese is HOF, then Theismann should at least be considered. He is my all time favorite Redskin (I am a fan) and one of my all time favorite Notre Dame players.

Reactions: mbd11 and francade
Have met Theismann a couple different times over the years. The guy has legit passion for ND football. Very similar to Brady Quinn. You need those types leading your team.
Brady Quinn and Joe Theismann are from different generations, but I can’t think of two great Notre Dame quarterbacks who loved their school (to this day) more than those guys. Great ambassadors. Bleed blue and gold.

Reactions: mbd11 and francade
Brady Quinn and Joe Theismann are from different generations, but I can’t think of two great Notre Dame quarterbacks who loved their school (to this day) more than those guys. Great ambassadors. Bleed blue and gold.
👍

Sure. Ken Anderson had much better numbers that entire time and has never gotten close to the HOF.
Some people are so ill informed about reality
Namath - 173 tds 220 ints HOF

Stabler - 194 tds 222 ints HOF

Griese - 192 tds 172 ints HOF

Maybe it's you who is so ill informed about reality

My question is why do these threads always have to devolve into a pissing contest? The OP had a pretty basic question. Why not debate it and be done with it. Instead, it's immediately "only a moron would think or say this or that."

It's a pity because it takes away the enjoyment of talking about Notre Dame football with other fans. But I guess my thinking that's possible most prove I'm a moron.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT