ADVERTISEMENT

OT Joe Pa

The article again shows that JoePa
knew all that happened around the team (which is why his assertion that he “did his responsibility” by reporting the Sandusky items to his superior is so callous). He played judge only when he wanted …and he kept Sandusky around because of his coaching and recruiting prowess

Reactions: HarlemIrish
I started reading the article yesterday and got about half-way. Very long article with a lot of detailed information about PSU, players, and JoePa.

Lots of troubling stuff in the article, as you would expect. I appreciated that the writers lifted up some hopeful/inspirational people in the whole situation, though.

They gave lots of space to the woman who had the courage to testify against Hodne, and they also tracked the story of the O-lineman who reached out to her at the time and tried to shield her from backlash. He showed up at the trial intending to support his teammate against a lying accuser, then he realized he had it all backward and he dared to go against the "company line." Here's a picture the article had of the two of them together in 2021:

act4_audio_irv_betsy_700x467.jpg

Reactions: Bumpdaddy
It still pisses me off that Penn State gets all the negative press while UofM seems to get away with it. They should be slammed as hard or harder as it’s more recent.

The article again shows that JoePa
knew all that happened around the team (which is why his assertion that he “did his responsibility” by reporting the Sandusky items to his superior is so callous). He played judge only when he wanted …and he kept Sandusky around because of his coaching and recruiting prowess
I could never reconcile with this statement. Even if you reported it to the superiors, how do you not follow up? To me, there had to be an outcome that as HC you were waiting on. Either he did it and should immediately be removed, or the reporting coach was lying and should immediately be removed. IIRC, neither happened until everything blew up.

Lots of troubling stuff in the article, as you would expect. I appreciated that the writers lifted up some hopeful/inspirational people in the whole situation, though.

They gave lots of space to the woman who had the courage to testify against Hodne, and they also tracked the story of the O-lineman who reached out to her at the time and tried to shield her from backlash. He showed up at the trial intending to support his teammate against a lying accuser, then he realized he had it all backward and he dared to go against the "company line." Here's a picture the article had of the two of them together in 2021:

act4_audio_irv_betsy_700x467.jpg
It took a lot of guts to testify as a rape victim back then; no picnic now but back then all too often the judge would let the defense attorney do whatever he wanted to the victim.

Reactions: BGI User 756
Man it sucks to be PSU. Why would anyone want to say they're affiliated with PSU in any way? Just the mention of PSU for me, immediately makes me think of pedophiles and sexual assault. It's going to take a least 2 generations for PSU to remove the stench of it all. And this recent article just made it worse.

I read the article. Paterno kicked the player off the team. Sad story, but not sure what exactly Paterno did wrong in that particular case.

I read the article. Paterno kicked the player off the team. Sad story, but not sure what exactly Paterno did wrong in that particular case.
All he did was kick the player off of the team. Think on that. HE DID NOTHING ELSE but hide the scandal. THAT is plenty, is it not. AND who is to say that was the first rape victim? Think on that.

I could never reconcile with this statement. Even if you reported it to the superiors, how do you not follow up? To me, there had to be an outcome that as HC you were waiting on. Either he did it and should immediately be removed, or the reporting coach was lying and should immediately be removed. IIRC, neither happened until everything blew up.
Makes 2 of us. He was aware of everything. And when he wanted to, he would drive after a coed that ran a stop sign; would challenge a teacher that didn’t waive some homework for football players around big games; would run after a ref wronged him….but didn’t follow up on why a pedophile still had club seats and a keys to facilities and still ran camps

Reactions: wi_hoosier
Seriously? It was about JoePa control over the program and how it didn’t jive with his story on Sandusky

and he knew it happened and yet buried it

All he did was kick the player off of the team. Think on that. HE DID NOTHING ELSE but hide the scandal. THAT is plenty, is it not. AND who is to say that was the first rape victim? Think on that.
He kicked the player off the team, and the school kicked him out of school, the player got convicted, then he went back to New York, where he was from. What else was Paterno supposed to do after that?

Reactions: tbonesays
He kicked the player off the team, and the school kicked him out of school, the player got convicted, then he went back to New York, where he was from. What else was Paterno supposed to do after that?
you sound like a defense lawyer. Choosing bits and pieces and ignoring the rest.

Reactions: Bumpdaddy
you sound like a defense lawyer. Choosing bits and pieces and ignoring the rest.
I read the whole article. I didn't see anything Paterno did to try to cover for this rapist player. He did engage in witness tampering (talking to his players before the trial about what they were going to say on the stand), which is illegal. But it wasn't to try to cover up for the player. It was the opposite. He thought the player was guilty, and told the teammate not to testify on behalf of the player. The 2nd player did anyways (they were high school teammates) and then Paterno kicked that player off the team, too. So that's probably witness tampering.

Not only did he kick him off the team, he kicked off another player for even attempting to stand up for this rapist in court. So while it may be true that the only thing JoePa ever really cared about in his life was Penn St. football, up to and including looking the other way at the truly unthinkable Sandusky scandal... in this case it does sort of seem as if he was, at the least determined to get this guy out of the program, even if that meant strong-arming some other player into doing his bidding. And so he can still be a horrible human being for at least that much.....

Because ND fans have always had it in for JoePa, and will seemingly ALWAYS portray him as the most cynical scumbag in CFB history, really no matter what the circumstances might be, there will always be a way to make him out the villain. And the sort of shit that was covered in this article is presumably why ND fans were so cocky about hating on JoePa for so long. Because they knew that effed-up shit happened at PSU, and yet somehow JoePa's reputation was never sufficiently dragged through the mud enough to satisfy them. At least I hope so. The only other reason for such seething animosity would probably be that JoePa hated ND, which I guess he did.... and he was looked upon as a threat to ND's position at the top of CFB's morality hierarchy. And then the Sandusky story broke and it was like.... Vindication... to use that word, for long spiteful and jealous ND fans.... wouldn't even begin to describe it. There are no words to describe that level of schandenfruede.

And I guess they were right, JoePa really was a scumbag after all.... Even if none of us had any actual idea at the time.

Not only did he kick him off the team, he kicked off another player for even attempting to stand up for this rapist in court. So while it may be true that the only thing JoePa ever really cared about in his life was Penn St. football, up to and including looking the other way at the truly unthinkable Sandusky scandal... in this case it does sort of seem as if he was, at the least determined to get this guy out of the program, even if that meant strong-arming some other player into doing his bidding. And so he can still be a horrible human being for at least that much.....

Because ND fans have always had it in for JoePa, and will seemingly ALWAYS portray him as the most cynical scumbag in CFB history, really no matter what the circumstances might be, there will always be a way to make him out the villain. And the sort of shit that was covered in this article is presumably why ND fans were so cocky about hating on JoePa for so long. Because they knew that effed-up shit happened at PSU, and yet somehow JoePa's reputation was never sufficiently dragged through the mud enough to satisfy them. At least I hope so. The only other reason for such seething animosity would probably be that JoePa hated ND, which I guess he did.... and he was looked upon as a threat to ND's position at the top of CFB's morality hierarchy. And then the Sandusky story broke and it was like.... Vindication... to use that word, for long spiteful and jealous ND fans.... wouldn't even begin to describe it. There are no words to describe that level of schandenfruede.

And I guess they were right, JoePa really was a scumbag after all.... Even if none of us had any actual idea at the time.
Wow never have met anyone that uses so many words to say nothing.

You all can take this or leave it, I don't have any love for Penn St or JoPa, in fact growing up, I wasn't a fan of his. I don't believe in beating up on dead people though.

That said, I knew a guy, a long time ago, that was recruited by JoPa. He had no intention of signing there, but he took a visit because Joe had had a long relationship with him as part of the recruiting process. He liked Joe a lot, and went on a visit as a gesture of respect to the man. He really liked Joe, he was a linebacker, and Penn St at that time was Linebacker U.

It was a long time ago but I remember when he returned his feeling towards Joe wasn't changed. But I do remember his mother mentioned to me in passing something about they didn't like Sandusky. It all sort of came back to me when the news hit about the allegations etc.

Anyway, I'm sure if Joe were here today he would tell us he wishes he had done more if it were possible. I don't know that for sure, just as nobody knows he wouldn't say that. Again, I don't like beating up on people who aren't around to defend themselves...

Yep, like a student answering a question on an essay test who doesn't have the first clue about the subject matter.
Right.... Just like a misguided, clueless answer to an essay question! That was awesome, dude. I have to LOL at that one. Do you think they make the students at ND answer essay questions about Joe Paterno?? That would be classic if they did. I think they probably try to shield the student body from that part of the ND experience. At least until they're a little older....

Paterno wasn't Kreskin, how was he supposed to know what Hodne did or didn’t do.

Paterno wasn’t a law enforcement agency, once he kicked Hodne off the team Paterno had no control, influence or legal authority over Hodne.

You are correct !

Reactions: mbd11

I didn't read it all as it turns my stomach, but JoePa kicked him off the team for a year for the robbery and said he may be eligible to come back if blah blah... but it didn't state that he was aware that the guy was a rapist. Seems like a lot of piling on JoePa when we don't know for sure what, if anything was known to him. And it's too late for him to be able to speak on it.

Man it sucks to be PSU. Why would anyone want to say they're affiliated with PSU in any way? Just the mention of PSU for me, immediately makes me think of pedophiles and sexual assault. It's going to take a least 2 generations for PSU to remove the stench of it all. And this recent article just made it worse.
Oh boy....
And to think.....
many around the globe...
when they're thinking/hearing of ND.......
Catholics come to mind......
Leading to Priest's on the mind.....
Ultimately thinking of molestation, pedophiles, overall sexual exploitation of the young and innocent.

If I was forced to make a bet I'd put money on there having been an issue or two or three or a dozen with a priest(s) and affiliation with ND.
There was entirely way too many priest's guilty of such behavior for ND to have been completely immune from any of those horrendous happenings.

Perhaps nobody ever said a word about it. Perhaps the guilty acted elsewhere prior to ND or after leaving....Priest's tend to move around a lot...

Either way it's pretty ignorant painting pictures with broad brushes considering the above about our beloved.
It's also doing a complete disservice to the many good people at either establishment who do the right thing and contribute in positive ways.

Guilty by association and or monikers are hard to shake and even harder when someone wants to pile on painting pictures with a broad brush.

I didn't read it all as it turns my stomach, but JoePa kicked him off the team for a year for the robbery and said he may be eligible to come back if blah blah... but it didn't state that he was aware that the guy was a rapist. Seems like a lot of piling on JoePa when we don't know for sure what, if anything was known to him. And it's too late for him to be able to speak on it.
Seriously? It was about JoePa control over the program and how it didn’t jive with his story on Sandusky

and he knew it happened and yet buried it

Lot's and lot's of piling on here of a dead person.

I have to ask...WTF was he supposed to do? Don't start with the coulda woulda shoulda bullshit. Hindsight is always undefeated.

That said perhaps y'all were guilty of putting him on a pedestal. As in god and Jesus christ's equal.
He was a coach. He wasn't law enforcement nor an attorney.
I see accusations of burying stories and not following up....
If he discusses such in public he can get in trouble. His voice and opinion itself could have huge impacts on the legal proceedings about to begin.
You can't do that stuff. Pissing on a case isn't fair in either defense or prosecution and that's exactly what happens if "he did more"...

He wasn't the judge, jury and executioner and sheriff and god...

Penn State had a protocol in place (as every university/business) with things like this.
He reported what he was told which allowed those in the proper positions to handle the matter.

You can argue how they handled the matter but bringing down the thunder on Joe for following his enployer protocol is pretty ridiculous.

I see someone said about Sandusky and access to gym and season seats.

Laugh out freaking loud.

You obviously have no idea how that works. There are countless of people with season tickets and many upon many with gym access. Boosters, car loaners...ex players...important alumni.....
As in too many to count and keep track of.
From Franco Harris to Kenny Jackson to Mike Reid and so on and so on.

Who in the **** can keep track of that shit let alone someone who is closer to 100 than 50 years old.

He had no idea who all had tickets and gym access and so on.
You weren't paying much attention to his faculties toward the end either because it appeared he was having a hard time remembering what day of the week it was.

I have to ask...WTF was he supposed to do? Don't start with the coulda woulda shoulda bullshit. Hindsight is always undefeated.

That said perhaps y'all were guilty of putting him on a pedestal. As in god and Jesus christ's equal.
If he discusses such in public he can get in trouble. His voice and opinion itself could have huge impacts on the legal proceedings about to begin.
You can't do that stuff. Pissing on a case isn't fair in either defense or prosecution and that's exactly what happens if "he did more"...

Penn State had a protocol in place (as every university/business) with things like this.
He reported what he was told which allowed those in the proper positions to handle the matter.

You can argue how they handled the matter but bringing down the thunder on Joe for following his enployer protocol is pretty ridiculous.

Laugh out freaking loud.

You obviously have no idea how that works. There are countless of people with season tickets and many upon many with gym access. Boosters, car loaners...ex players...important alumni.....

Who in the **** can keep track of that shit let alone someone who is closer to 100 than 50 years old.

You weren't paying much attention to his faculties toward the end either because it appeared he was having a hard time remembering what day of the week it was.
Lol. Oh the tragedy. Go virtue signal somewhere else. Joe Pa had earned the negative perspective here. It’s obvious you either aren’t aware or have forgotten all the layers of involvement Joe had in PSU, including athletic director, the architect of moving to the Big10, etc.

And we are talking about his lack of action back in the 80’s and 90’s, not when the stories finally broke loose at the end of his career. He was plenty lucid then. So try to keep up.

As for tickets- I know exactly how the season tickets worked, as I knew coaches from PSU. I had older cousins recruited there. Joe was responsible for signing off on the distribution of those seats, and had no problem using Sandusky to his benefit around recruits and their families, well after he was aware of Sandusky’s allegations. You would ignore the story from your grad assistant? You delegate such a frightening episode to someone else? But you chase down a coed that ran a stop sign? Okie dokie.

You don’t have a clue how controlling JoePa was around his program so you might want to talk to others besides Franco or Joe Jr. And adopt another issue to try to defend, because you sucked at this one.

Laugh out freaking loud.

Another enabler here. To spend this much effort into defending the slime that was coach of Pedophile U says a lot about YOU.

Laugh out freaking loud.

Well here's at least one ND fan that doesn't have it in for JoePa. There's one in every crowd I guess....

I myself am a ND fan, and though I hate to judge until all the facts are in.... I pretty much would have to guess that JoePa knew about this shit. But I don't even remember the timeline anymore, off the top of my head, of who know had to have known what and by what point in time, and all that..... But to be fair, which normally would not be something that not only your typical ND fan, but any football fan is going to be hard pressed to find it in their hearts to do....

Can you really blame him? I mean ND fans are the worst ones to be posing this eternal question to, because they already hated the guy very much so before this whole business came to light, with the exception of this fine fellow here of course.... Because that is the guaranteed end, not of PSU football, but at least of JoePa himself. Through no fault of his own, as JoePa is at least no pedophile... he, and his reputation and his career would presumably be completely destroyed and shredded and burned to cinders and sliced to ribbons... by association with an infamy that is hard to even fathom could possibly be real, and be happening on your watch, right under your nose. And JoePa goes right down the drain along side Sandusky in what you'd have to consider an inconceivably ignominious end.... Possibly even some sort of criminal charges against JoePa. But certainly eternal infamy of the most abject, appalling sort for as long as JoePa is even alive. Which is probably why he actually straight up succumbed not long after things finally went public. A whole lifetime's work annihilated in a stroke by almost a fluke, a mathematical fluke.... There's going to be pedophiles in the world, and they live among us, and in this case it was a top assistant coach at the major CFB level, coaching for PSU....

So the temptation to sweep something like that under the rug must have been unreal. And certainly understandable, if also unacceptable....

I, for one, was a big Penn St fan when I was younger. I cheered JoPa and Sandusky. Boy was it an eye opener and learning experience for me when the truth leaked out!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT