ADVERTISEMENT

OT: James Madison

FightingIrish44

ND Expert
May 7, 2009
They’re trying to be eligible to play in a bowl. They were denied earlier this year a motion to only have a one year process jumping from FCS to FBS instead of two.

My question is why is there a transitional period at all? Is it just to make sure a school is really serious about making the jump up? Why prevent them from playing in a bowl game?

Reactions: NDblitz
They’re trying to be eligible to play in a bowl. They were denied earlier this year a motion to only have a one year process jumping from FCS to FBS instead of two.

My question is why is there a transitional period at all? Is it just to make sure a school is really serious about making the jump up? Why prevent them from playing in a bowl game?
An easier/fairer way to do this would be to say that an FCS team needs 8 wins in year one in order to qualify rather than 6.

I think the rule is in place because often transitioning schools are playing a "mixed schedule" ie - due to prior scheduling commitments they play a lot more FCS opponents vs. FBS teams. JMU played a full sunbelt schedule last year and crushed coastal carolina but was not allowed to participate in the championship game - they are even better this year. Full disclosure, Clemson graduate but grew up in Harrisonburg (Dad taught at JMU) loved going to "Madison College" games in my youth!

The intent behind the rule is making schools go "all in" on the jump to FBS. They don't want schools jumping back and forth depending on when they have a good team or not.

JMU had been considering this move for over a decade. Their football attendance has been steadily climbing for over two decades, they understood what they were signing up for.

The intent behind the rule is making schools go "all in" on the jump to FBS. They don't want schools jumping back and forth depending on when they have a good team or not.

JMU had been considering this move for over a decade. Their football attendance has been steadily climbing for over two decades, they understood what they were signing up for.

They could win all 12-----absurd that they don't get awarded a bowl invite.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT