ADVERTISEMENT

OT Fridays: What was the first NDFB game you attended?

Tyler James

All Star
Staff
Dec 31, 2021
Let's head into Memorial Day Weekend with another OT Friday.

I want to know: what was the first Notre Dame football game you attended?

I was a credentialed media member running quotes for the AP when I attended my first Notre Dame game. It was Oct. 22, 2011 and the Irish hosted USC.

Notre Dame lost 31-17 thanks to a fumble returned for a touchdown by USC late in the third quarter. The Irish had third-and-goal at the 1 trailing by a touchdown. Then QB Dayne Crist fumbled the snap, which bounced around before being scooped for a score.

I distinctly remember that play, which certainly isn't a great memory for Irish fans. But I also remember interviewing USC players on the field, which is something Notre Dame doesn't let us do with its players. It was my first time, so I had no idea how rare that was.

I was in the middle of a scrum talking to the player who scored the fumble return TD, and I suddenly realized that Bill Plaschke of the LA Times was next to me asking questions. It was a bit of a surreal moment for someone who grew up watching Around The Horn. I just went about my business, but it was a neat moment to remind me how cool of an opportunity that was.

That's my story. What's yours?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News