ADVERTISEMENT

OT - coaching carousel, ranking potential available coaches

Bad1289

Hi I'm new here
Jun 22, 2021
Lots of recent chatter with the USC and LSU openings, along with chatter about Franklin firing his agent got me curious to look at hottest coaching names with best possible job openings

Thus far, the big openings are SC and LSU (Wash St and Tex Tech are notable). Potential openings could include Nebraska, Miami, and Virginia Tech, as well as the domino effects of coaches listed below taking any of the aforementioned openings.

I've excluded top tier coaches like Saban, Swinney, Riley, Smart, Day, as well as other coaches who don't appear like they'd take a lateral job like B Kelly, Jimbo, Ferentz, and coaches like Heupel or Sarkisian starting new at blue blood programs. How would you rate the following? Just listing current college head coaches - plenty of guys like U Meyer or Rhule could jump back down, along with ex HC's like Bill O'Brien, or coordinators like Freeman will be considered.

Grouped them in tiers of 5, without listing in order. Don't know a ton about some of these coaches, like J Smith from Oregon St - so not sure if good or above average seasons this year are due to easy schedule, lots of upperclassmen, etc.

Top Tier
Fickell - Cin
Stoops - KY
Cristobal - OR
Clawson - Wake
Tucker- MSU

Second
Campbell - ISU
Franklin - PSU
Kiffin - Ole Miss
Gundy - OKST
Napier- ULL

Third
Mendenhall - UVA
Schiano - Rut
Monken - Army
Doeren - NCST
J Smith - ORST

Fourth
Holgorsen - Houston
Sitake - BYU
Aranda - Baylor
Chadwell - Coastal
Narduzzi - Pitt

Fifth
Brohm - Purdue
Hafley - BC
Satterfield - Lou
Dykes - SMU
Traylor - UTSA

Follow-on question - assuming BK sticks around for another 3-4 years, who is on your short-list for next ND coach?

Last edited:
Reactions: GCND
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News