ADVERTISEMENT

Osiris St. Brown

While no doubt disappointing to lose out on such a great talent, it certainly did not come as a surprise.

Reading the writing on the wall, it seemed inevitable that the young man was Palo Alto bound...Heck, EVERY person on 247 sports had him in the Stanford column.

Putting football aside for a moment, I must say that the longer I follow them, the more I come away impressed by the St. Brown family. Unlike a lot of student-athletes, these young men seem to appreciate that selection of school is a 50+ year decision....To know that you have sent one son to Notre Dame and another to Stanford must confirm for the parents that they succeeded in raising their children properly.

I wish Osiris the best of luck...Hopefully we win the rubber match in a few years for Amon-ra's services.

While no doubt disappointing to lose out on such a great talent, it certainly did not come as a surprise.

Reading the writing on the wall, it seemed inevitable that the young man was Palo Alto bound...Heck, EVERY person on 247 sports had him in the Stanford column.

Putting football aside for a moment, I must say that the longer I follow them, the more I come away impressed by the St. Brown family. Unlike a lot of student-athletes, these young men seem to appreciate that selection of school is a 50+ year decision....To know that you have sent one son to Notre Dame and another to Stanford must confirm for the parents that they succeeded in raising their children properly.

I wish Osiris the best of luck...Hopefully we win the rubber match in a few years for Amon-ra's services.
AMON

Reactions: Rockne's Rambler
Black got another CB to ND this morning.

Getting him would be even better wouldn't it?

You can't go wrong with programs like ND, Stanford, or even playing for Fitz at Northwestern. Sometimes siblings want to carve out there own legacy.

Reactions: hoosierstateII
Black got another CB to ND this morning.

Getting him would be even better wouldn't it?

but Black was thought to be a 'silent'
The concern is that losing OSB, puts SU in a solid position for the younger brother.
On the other hand, WR is not a difficult position for ND to recruit; now if we are talking DE or DT!?

NDAF
how that Lil one doing? yours or you the grandpa?

It's had that feeling for a couple of years that all three St. Brown kids will go to separate schools. The next one will likely be USC bound.

Here's what we have to accept as ND fans.

Stanford has equal academic opportunities. Stanford has equal football opportunities. Stanford has better weather.

It's a credit to the coaching staff and school that we don't lose more guys to them. We can be haters, but it's true.

For many recruits, it comes down to physical location and proximity to home.

but Black was thought to be a 'silent'
The concern is that losing OSB, puts SU in a solid position for the younger brother.
On the other hand, WR is not a difficult position for ND to recruit; now if we are talking DE or DT!?

NDAF
how that Lil one doing? yours or you the grandpa?

She is doing awesome, thanks. She is my first. (Got a late start on the family thing).

Here's what we have to accept as ND fans.

Stanford has equal academic opportunities. Stanford has equal football opportunities. Stanford has better weather.

It's a credit to the coaching staff and school that we don't lose more guys to them. We can be haters, but it's true.

For many recruits, it comes down to physical location and proximity to home.

Dollerroller, I can understand your post . I don't agree with it. ND should never lose recruits to Stanford. I know that it happens. There is no reason ND cannot be a perrenial top 5 most years. They did for years, they should still be able to do it. Stanford has been good for 7 years? ND has 11 NCs. Ohio st, Michigan and just about every big ten school plays in bad weather. Yet they seem to get the recruits. The Irish can and still should do the same.

Reactions: Houston Wildcat
Dollerroller, I can understand your post . I don't agree with it. ND should never lose recruits to Stanford. I know that it happens. There is no reason ND cannot be a perrenial top 5 most years. They did for years, they should still be able to do it. Stanford has been good for 7 years? ND has 11 NCs. Ohio st, Michigan and just about every big ten school plays in bad weather. Yet they seem to get the recruits. The Irish can and still should do the same.
TK

what you smoking? Dollar was spot on. Kids today are not impressed by titles from years ago and we have not won a natty in like 25 years while Stanford is just as competitive in rankings as we are. So what do you sell kids? The staff has done an excellent job and yes, tradition has some currency, but not a lot Stanford has grown from the school you describe back in the eighties and nineties into a powerhouse they are cred

Reactions: echowaker
TK

what you smoking? Dollar was spot on. Kids today are not impressed by titles from years ago and we have not won a natty in like 25 years while Stanford is just as competitive in rankings as we are. So what do you sell kids? The staff has done an excellent job and yes, tradition has some currency, but not a lot Stanford has grown from the school you describe back in the eighties and nineties into a powerhouse they are cred

Skibro,
I simply don't buy into the fact that ND can't compete due to weather, academics or any other reason. True, they haven't won a title for years. Stanford hasn't won anything. I give them a lit of credit. They are very good program. Harbaugh did a great job getting them to where they are. I also give Kelly a lot of credit. ND has talent and depth they haven't had in a long time. ND should always be able to get great players. For me the biggest barramoter was last season. In spite of all the key players going down, the Irish were litter all in the hunt for a playoff spot until the last 30 seconds of the Stanford game. There are only a few teams that could have survived the session let alone win 10 games after all these injuries. There are no excuses not to be a top program. I think they are as close as ever to being there. This season will tell us a lot.

in order of significance: location, academics, weather.
And yes, when competing with SU for Ca. prospects ND is down 3! to start.

True ND has more talent than Ty or Davie; but ND is not making much 'comeback' with the top 1-3 at their respective position prospects. ND gets interest but never 'a rose'. When that happens, then the playoff hopes will be more authentic and reality meets expectations.

We have a chip on our shoulder as fans. A comment about Stanford offering almost everything ND offers plus better weather was quickly met with responses about how it's not true that ND can't compete. Who said ND can't compete? ND being good or great has nothing to do with what Stanford is offering.

As mentioned, 18 year old kids don't give a rats azz about how teams we're doing 10 years ago. 7 years of great play was mentioned like it was a bad thing. There are a lot of schools that would like to have the last 7 years that Stanford has had.

It's possible that there is a world where both ND and Stanford are good and will compete for recruits. It's called "Right Now". This notion that ND should never lose a recruit to Stanford though is just flat out naive.

We have a chip on our shoulder as fans. A comment about Stanford offering almost everything ND offers plus better weather was quickly met with responses about how it's not true that ND can't compete. Who said ND can't compete? ND being good or great has nothing to do with what Stanford is offering.

As mentioned, 18 year old kids don't give a rats azz about how teams we're doing 10 years ago. 7 years of great play was mentioned like it was a bad thing. There are a lot of schools that would like to have the last 7 years that Stanford has had.

It's possible that there is a world where both ND and Stanford are good and will compete for recruits. It's called "Right Now". This notion that ND should never lose a recruit to Stanford though is just flat out naive.
well said. the landscape has changed dramatically.

Dollerroller,
I respect your opinion and your assessment does have merit. College football has changed. Stanford is a very good program. I am not knocking 7 years of good football. There is credibility in your statement about kids not caring what happened ten years ago. With that said, do not just discount the history of ND football like it doesn't matter at all. It still does. When recruits are interviewed they basically all mention the tradition and history along with academics. Sure, they want to be part of a winning program right now. I get that. But I think what sets ND apart is they have an unparalleled tradition of aspiring for football excellence along with academic excellence. Stanford could go in the tank the next 15 years and no one there would really care. The fact that ND is still as relevant as they are says a lot about how important they are to college football. ND as of the last few years has done pretty well. Not great, but better than the previous 15 years. When they get it rolling they can and should get top players. Kelly has done an excellent job bringing in talent across the board. Stanford, since the arrival of Harbaugh also has done an excellent job. Stanford will get their share of players due to the fact they are a very good program. But if it comes down to ND vs Stanford on the recruiting trail, ND should win most of those battles. A good recruiter would see to that. Again , I do respect your point of view and I am not here to argue. We are all fans and we all want the same result. Nice to chat with you. Go Irish!!!

We're splitting hairs somewhat. Completely understandable to see the merit of an argument that says ND should win recruiting battles with Stanford because of tradition AND ALSO completely understandable to see the merit of an argument that says Stanford should win many recruiting battles with ND because of weather.

Some years, one will prove correct. Other years, the other side.

Reactions: Kelso86
We're splitting hairs somewhat. Completely understandable to see the merit of an argument that says ND should win recruiting battles with Stanford because of tradition AND ALSO completely understandable to see the merit of an argument that says Stanford should win many recruiting battles with ND because of weather.

Some years, one will prove correct. Other years, the other side.

I agree we are splitting hairs and for me who is now follicallly challenged, I prefer to split them as it makes me look more full headed

Reactions: echowaker
Dollerroller, I can understand your post . I don't agree with it. ND should never lose recruits to Stanford. I know that it happens.

Why should ND "never lose recruits" to Stanford? If a student just likes Stanford better? Not really that hard to fathom.

Reactions: greengael
At the end of the day -- it is the kid who has to live with the decision -- he is the one who has to live/attend school at the place he feels most comfortable.

Nothing wrong with that. Amazes me how people get in a tizzy over a decision by 18-19 year olds.

At the end of the day -- it is the kid who has to live with the decision -- he is the one who has to live/attend school at the place he feels most comfortable.

Nothing wrong with that. Amazes me how people get in a tizzy over a decision by 18-19 year olds.

Kelso, your statement is simple , accurate and true. For the record I personally don't get caught up in kids picking one school over another. I haven't done a good Jo's articulating my point. But I'll try again. Simply put, when Notre Dame is winning and playing very good football, there really is no reason they can't get great players. I think Kelly over the last 2 years is doing exactly that.

Reactions: Kelso86
Look back to 2012: I chose that class as look back as there are still players on the roster.

this forum ofter debates the star system, so out of the 3star commitments
how many achieved star status?
how many became starting players?
how do you rate chances of finding that diamond in the rough?

Last edited:
Look back to 2012: I chose that class as look back as there are still players on the roster.

this forum ofter debates the star system, so out of the 3star commitments
how many achieved star status?
how many became starting players?
how do you rate chances of finding that diamond in the rough?
the basic rule of thumb of most recruiting classes is 1/3 become starters, 1/3 become contributers and 1/3 don't see the field for whatever reason ( injury, transfer etc)

they have another brother who is better than Osiris.... think he will choose ND... just have to wait and see

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT