ADVERTISEMENT

VIP Scoop On Quinn Carroll......

Bryan Driskell

Football Analyst
Apr 19, 2015
Granger, IN
Talked to some sources about this weekend's visit with Edina (Minn.) standout offensive tackle Quinn Carroll.

*** Carroll has made multiple trips to Notre Dame, and this one was about trying to continue bonding with OL Coach Jeff Quinn and the current roster. Most of the weekend was spent with the players, which included going out to dinner and they had some post-spring game cook out/bonfire type action where all the players and their parents were there, and of course Carroll and his family were there.

*** I'm told Quenton Nelson spent a lot of individual time with Carroll, and that was huge for him. The source who told me about this said that Nelson was taking Carroll around and introducing him to everyone and made Carroll feel like a big deal ... which of course he is in regards to this class. That was impactful.

*** Right now, Carroll is telling people he is most comfortable at Notre Dame, but one source believes Penn State and Virginia Tech are still in the mix. The Va Tech connection is obvious, his brother played there. Penn State appears to be the biggest threat. The reason is offensive line coach/run game coordinator Matt Limegrover, who is in his second year at Penn State. Prior to that he was at Minnesota from 2011 to 2015, and Carroll has known him since he was a little kid. Apparently Carroll went to camps at Minnesota and that's where they connected, and he really loves the guy, so that's the Penn State attraction.

*** Things are definitely trending in Notre Dame's direction right now, but the staff has had to really grind to get him b/c of the connection that I discussed and the fact so many programs are pushing so hard for Carroll. Notre Dame was all over Carroll before Jeff Quinn arrived, but the coaching change really allowed Penn State to make serious headway. What this means is that if Notre Dame does in fact land Carroll the credit absolutely has to go to Jeff Quinn. Being able to overcome the bond Carroll has with Limegrover doesn't happen if Jeff Quinn also doesn't bond quickly with the talented offensive tackle. The fact Notre Dame is sitting in pole position is a very positive sign when it comes to Jeff Quinn's ability to connect with top recruits at his position.

*** Carroll doesn't have a date set for his announcement, but a source I talked to said it does appear he's about to hit decision making mode, if he hasn't already. Not saying he has made a decision already, but that he's in the process of doing that, and Notre Dame hitting his visit this past weekend out of the park was crucial to the staff putting itself in position to hopefully land his commitment. There is still some closing and finishing work to do by Jeff Quinn and Chip Long, but this weekend's visits has Notre Dame in a really good spot.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News