ADVERTISEMENT

OL

ftnfan62

I've posted how many times?
Aug 1, 2010
A bit better, but when we needed to rely on them they could not get a FD. I did see a few a gap blitzes picked up. That’s an improvement.

The ball and a 235lb back and we can’t just line up and get one FD when we need it. the we get it back and cannot do it again giving Cal another shot

Blake still looks like a liability. He played better but still getting pushed around.

Its a better run game with Tyree.

I don’t know if Cal’a defense is good or bad, but you have to be able to run that out for a win.

You have an offensive coordinator who is afraid to let the starting QB throw the ball past the line of scrimmage … other than the TD pass to Tyree I think the longest completion in the air was 5 yards. You can’t play a QB in major D1 football and not allow him to throw forward passes. That was absurd.

Estime needs to run with a little better vision. He runs kind of top heavy and out of position for any sort of cutback. He look like an old school fullback with the ball

Reactions: bizzybecknd
That wasn't a very good Cal team I think it's fair to say. But still, their defense is supposedly okay. And the OL was definitely better, if not, you know, great....

I guess 'baby steps' is how we're supposed to characterize it. But we are 1-2, and the first MF win as ND football coach is in the books....

Just back from the game. Market improvement in the second half; not in terms of OL, tackling, rushing etc. But in terms of intensity. It's a start and something to build on. Pyne, once he settled down, was serviceable, he deserves some credit, and shout out to Lacey. Campus was a bit low energy, but that to picked up once in the stadium. First time in the 40 years I heard loud booing of our own team, I think the message was received. Can't win 2 in a row until you win one. On to UNC

Estime needs to run with a little better vision. He runs kind of top heavy and out of position for any sort of cutback. He look like an old school fullback with the ball

i noticed that as well. Needs to keep his head up. Same on that long catch. Keep your head up. Looking at the ground you fall.

You have an offensive coordinator who is afraid to let the starting QB throw the ball past the line of scrimmage … other than the TD pass to Tyree I think the longest completion in the air was 5 yards. You can’t play a QB in major D1 football and not allow him to throw forward passes. That was absurd.
Well when Pyne can’t hit someone 5 feet from him that probably makes you a bit unsure.

ND just needed one First down. Your 0-3 for your coach. You have to summon the bad ass attitude and get hat FD and win the game. That last Hail Mary should have been caught. Just pure luck.

What did you guys think of the backers?

Bower looks so slow. The QB just breezes past him. Can’t wait to see sneed and 44 out there. Start getting the youth.

What did you guys think of the backers?

Bower looks so slow. The QB just breezes past him. Can’t wait to see sneed and 44 out there. Start getting the youth.
All the backers looks slow besides Marist, and he hasn’t really been making plays either. I agree, as the season goes on I hope to see more snaps for the young guys.

Just like last year the O line starts out weak and gradually gets better, it seems.

Frankly I am tired of THAT.

We have the talent to come out of the box pounding on people but we are not.

The OL was much better this game. There were holes and they protected the qb. Were they perfect? Absolutely not, but they were much, much better than they’ve been in games 1&2. Playcalling was better too w/ a lot of play actions on first down that were either good gains or would’ve been good gains had Pyne thrown a good pass or if we hadn’t dropped it right in our hands (styles). W/ that said, it’s gonna be a long season w/ the upcoming schedule. I want to be optimistic but things don’t look good right now. If freeman can turn this around and win 8-9 games, it’ll be a heck of a job, but I’m not holding my breath.

The offense had two chances to put the game away (with 5:00 left and 2:00 left), and couldn't do it. That's a game where we need to end it right there with a few first downs. Hopefully the OL will continue improving.

The defense was our better unit for the 3rd straight game.

I agree with you 11, that was the bad taste from a good day. They had a chance to just say we got this.....get behind us and could not do it after wearing them down. We need to see that going forward.

When you talk about the overall OL, I guess we should talk about the extended OL.

The TE's are still getting pushed around on powers. The backs are not picking up. Estime got a chip, thank goodness, or Pyne misses that TD and maybe a pick.

There is still a way to go here with the entire blocking scheme. Its also the same down field blocking. Marshall was excellent. They basically held Bracy every play and never got flagged. Our guys wave at them. Still much to coach.

All the backers looks slow besides Marist, and he hasn’t really been making plays either. I agree, as the season goes on I hope to see more snaps for the young guys.

I think our LB play has been pretty woeful. Bauer and Bertrand are both slow and unathletic, and have not shown an ability to mask those deficiencies with good anticipation and tackling skills. Bauer getting faked out by Plummer (who acted like he was going to throw a pass when he was 5 yards past the LOS) got me out of my chair and yelling at the television. I had high hopes for Marist Liufau, but so far his best play seems to be running into a blocker at full speed. Maybe he just doesn't have an instinctive ability to shed blockers or weave his way through the scrum when he is sent on a blitz. Sort of like Braden Lenzy, who is a blazer but just lacks (IMO) an instinctive ability to play the WR position. Maybe we need to see what some of the young guys can do. Can it be any worse?

Well when Pyne can’t hit someone 5 feet from him that probably makes you a bit unsure.

ND just needed one First down. Your 0-3 for your coach. You have to summon the bad ass attitude and get hat FD and win the game. That last Hail Mary should have been caught. Just pure luck.
Pyne was a bit of a cocky gunslinger last year when he came in relief. He had more than his share of turnovers and the Spring game showed this as well. I’m sure Rees and Freeman were hammering home the need to avoid mistakes and turnovers, and Rees tried to get him into a rhythm to start the game With short sure passes, which he missed badly. He looked like a player overthinking every play and stiff with fear of making mistakes. He gained confidence as the game went on, but we need to See Pyne with his swagger back, and taking shots down field and across the middle. We’ll suffer more int’s than we are used to, but we can’t win with Pyne playing a fearful pedestrian style. We got our first W and now Looking to see a very different QB this Saturday.

Reactions: Pennick4
I agree on the backers. JOK was is missed. We have no closing speed, ability to cover backs or TE’s and they can’t tackle in space.

they are out there. They play hard. They fill gaps but there is much more with LB.

Marist has the speed but he has not made many plays. I’m disappointed overall. I’d like. To see Junior, sneed and Prince get in more. Maybe even together. Really changes that athleticism on the field. Have to be up good for that.

Pyne was a bit of a cocky gunslinger last year when he came in relief. He had more than his share of turnovers and the Spring game showed this as well. I’m sure Rees and Freeman were hammering home the need to avoid mistakes and turnovers, and Rees tried to get him into a rhythm to start the game With short sure passes, which he missed badly. He looked like a player overthinking every play and stiff with fear of making mistakes. He gained confidence as the game went on, but we need to See Pyne with his swagger back, and taking shots down field and across the middle. We’ll suffer more int’s than we are used to, but we can’t win with Pyne playing a fearful pedestrian style. We got our first W and now Looking to see a very different QB this Saturday.
The QB played as he needed to for the bulk of that game. You seem to think a player can wave a magic wand and everything is fine.
Were you one of those worshiping at the altar of TB?
Because most of your post consists of a personal attack on Pyne.

The QB played as he needed to for the bulk of that game. You seem to think a player can wave a magic wand and everything is fine.
Were you one of those worshiping at the altar of TB?
Because most of your post consists of a personal attack on Pyne.
What personal attacks? I’m saying we need to see more of the cocky gunslinger we saw last year, and Pyne needs to recapture his swagger, and that Rees and Freeman need to embrace this.

What personal attacks? I’m saying we need to see more of the cocky gunslinger we saw last year, and Pyne needs to recapture his swagger, and that Rees and Freeman need to embrace this.
If the OLINE doesn’t provide adequate protection it’s difficult to acquire “swagger” !

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT