ADVERTISEMENT

Oklahoma Sooners...

Big game Bob has made the final 4. Kelly has not.

Big game Bob has won a D1A national title. Kelly has not.

Big game Bob has produced Heisman trophy winners. Kelly has not.

Big game Bob has won multiple BCS/major bowl games. Kelly hasn't won any.

As ND fans we'd all take the exact same resume of any coach that could do that here. Don't kid yourself.

I see you point end_23.

Are you surprised by them losing or are you impressed by how Houston won? Houston is a solid program IMO. But OU loses some strange games.

yep, they always have that hic-up, last yr UT beat them....this year they may have a few

Houston is also very good

While I like Stoops, they were out coached and OU players gave up. Three plays I point to: 1) nothing play in the first quarter, but Mayfield was going out of bounds DE chasing and point of impact will be right at the out of bounds line. 9 out of 10 times the defensive player hits the QB and puts it in the hands of a ref to award an extra 15. The DE for Houston puts his hands in the air and no penalty. 2) shift right before the 2nd to last TD. Two WRs ran over to one side. Then 4 players shifter with the 2 WRs running back across the field to where they were. The OU defense didn't follow as there was so much running back and forth. That left 2 defenders on 3 WRs. Ward snaps it quickly throws the quick out. The 2WRs immediately block and Houston gets 7 on 3rd and 4. 3) the FG return. Every one on Houston knew what to do. Set up a kick return left and OU was completely on their heels.

Stoops got out coached and OU got out played.

Reactions: perseverare
OU has recruited mediocrely for most of the 21st century. They are a 10-2/9-3 program.

Bob Stoops is a good college HC. I would take BK over Stoops yesterday, today, and tomorrow though. Bob Stoops has had 17 years to accomplish what he has done at Okie. His title was 16 years ago. He has played in 4 title games but has lost 3 of them. He has had the Sooners in two major bowl wins over the last 10 years. Nice stuff but I would rather have BK. Stoops has a larger recruiting base that he can go get, including JC transfers. And, the last I read, Okie's graduation rate was pretty poor (I can hear the groans from the peanut gallery now). It's only pure speculation how Stoops would do at ND or how BK would do in Norman. Stoops had the chance to come to ND and wanted no part of it. So, let things remain as it is. I'm damn glad we have BK as our HC. He gets it. He isn't running away from the challenges of coaching at ND and offers no whiny excuses about the challenges.

OK got beat by a very good football team. Stoops is a great coach. And Kelly has taken ND to a championship game.

Stoops is a very good coach, but OU was a little overrated. They're not a top 5 team. But Houston is no joke; they're legit. Speaking of Houston, Tom Herman should be a hot coaching commodity after this season.

Bob Stoops is a good college HC. I would take BK over Stoops yesterday, today, and tomorrow though. Bob Stoops has had 17 years to accomplish what he has done at Okie. His title was 16 years ago. He has played in 4 title games but has lost 3 of them. He has had the Sooners in two major bowl wins over the last 10 years. Nice stuff but I would rather have BK. Stoops has a larger recruiting base that he can go get, including JC transfers. And, the last I read, Okie's graduation rate was pretty poor (I can hear the groans from the peanut gallery now). It's only pure speculation how Stoops would do at ND or how BK would do in Norman. Stoops had the chance to come to ND and wanted no part of it. So, let things remain as it is. I'm damn glad we have BK as our HC. He gets it. He isn't running away from the challenges of coaching at ND and offers no whiny excuses about the challenges.
He blames player execution regularly.

He's not the only one. You know and I know there is plenty of blame to go around when things go south. BK has done some things that were head scratchers. That's for sure. But, I've seen some execution that was also questionable. No need to call anyone out but all Irish fans know the who and when. Was the last 30 seconds of Stanford coaching or execution or , youth? Was the Louisvillle and Northwestern fumbles execution or coaching? How about the bowl game vs OSU?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT