ADVERTISEMENT

Ok, if the university won't fire Kelly...

Zorich 88

I've posted how many times?
Dec 7, 2006
At least tell him to STOP calling the plays on offense. Mike Sanford should be calling 100% of the plays. Kelly needs to focus on being the head coach. He sucks at running the offense. If he wants to continue to think he can run the offense then he might as well run the defense as well.

look, Jack is not going to do anything.
Academic scandal, arrests, assault, drugs, alcohol and now losing.

Status quo.
We will play pretend and talk of playoffs and National Championships.
'get used to it'

Kelly will have his staff log on here, tell everyone things are great. People wanting to believe will breath a sigh of relief.

We will repeat this cycle for 5 more seasons.

Reactions: Java65
BK said Denbrock called the vast majority of the plays last year. There's no indication he's not doing the same this year. As Zonairish said earlier, calling plays is the least of our worries right now... although, I will grant you we didn't try to open up the offense last night until late in the 3rd quarter. We probably should have done so much, much sooner.

Status quo.
'get used to it'

Kelly will have his staff log on here, tell everyone things are great. People wanting to believe will breath a sigh of relief.

Yes, I agree Pers. For ND fans the playoff talk has now officially ended. There is really nothing for ND to play for except to win.

Yes, I agree Pers. For ND fans the playoff talk has now officially ended. There is really nothing for ND to play for except to win.

the team that ended Oklahoma's streak was much the same situation. But ND had a history of winning against all odds then.

Status quo.
'get used to it'

I was talking to my neighbor, who is a big ND fan, and we realized Kelly is the perfect coach for ND.
- He wins enough games for ND to be respectable.
- Because we aren't a laughing stock fans still spend $ on ND.
- He wins few enough games that he'll never get too popular/powerful like Holtz did.

As long as the money keeps coming in, Kelly recruits fairly well, we aren't having 4-6 win seasons Kelly will never be powerful enough to challenge the administration.

Get ready for 5 more years of this shit. I don't know what it'll take to get the Administration's attention that Kelly is a damn fraud.

This team will improve some and get to 8 wins and everyone will say that Kelly is turning it around and next year is the year. I'm ****ing sick of hearing "next year", I'm already a Cubs fan. It sure seems like the University holds it's students to a higher level that it's employees. I think after getting straight D's for 5 outta 7 years that a school would let the student know it just isn't working.

I was talking to my neighbor, who is a big ND fan, and we realized Kelly is the perfect coach for ND.
- He wins enough games for ND to be respectable.
- Because we aren't a laughing stock fans still spend $ on ND.
- He wins few enough games that he'll never get too popular/powerful like Holtz did.

As long as the money keeps coming in, Kelly recruits fairly well, we aren't having 4-6 win seasons Kelly will never be powerful enough to challenge the administration.

I love conspiracy theories

Reactions: Pennick44
BK said Denbrock called the vast majority of the plays last year. There's no indication he's not doing the same this year. As Zonairish said earlier, calling plays is the least of our worries right now... although, I will grant you we didn't try to open up the offense last night until late in the 3rd quarter. We probably should have done so much, much sooner.
You do realize that to some extent the reason we had offensive success late was because MSU was playing to "keep everything in front of them" and when we closed to a1score separation, they stopped us.

I watched the sunday night game. Green bay went for it where I personally would have tried the Field goal. Cost them the game. At the same time BK did not go for it when it was 4 and 7 still cost him the game. Even if he chose to go and he failed what would we say today. That said this team has so many problems even if you think BK's playing call is not great. The offense in general scores. That why I think the focus should be on D, As Irish in Ontario stated in his own thread the next steps that should happen. Starting with BVG's exit. in general I am not saying that BK should be fired. However, if he does not start running this like a business as Saban does Jack should keep his options open

I love conspiracy theories
Its not a conspiracy theory. Its fairly well known Holtz was under fire for a couple years because he was getting becoming too powerful. Has the administration done anything to make you believe they seriously want to improve the football program? Weis had to fight like crazy and pull strings just to get a training table.. nothing like being decades behind every other school.

Looking at the facts does not equal conspiracy theory.

At least tell him to STOP calling the plays on offense. Mike Sanford should be calling 100% of the plays. Kelly needs to focus on being the head coach. He sucks at running the offense. If he wants to continue to think he can run the offense then he might as well run the defense as well.
Hasn't called plays the last 2 years.

again, your consistent ly wrong.

Kelly has stated he has the final say. If he has final say, then he has the 'buck'

Reactions: NDskins
38 pts per game. Coach Dweeb Ewbank is back! Bag some groceries or be a school guard.

Kelly calls at least 75% of the plays. For anyone to say the offense is fine, has no clue what a good offense looks like. Let's just look at the last game ND played. One of the worst 1st halfs a team could possibly play. No balance what's so ever. Every play was predictable. Why in the world did Kelly not abuse the State secondary in the 1st half? Then you punt the ball at the end. No way do you punt the ball and expect the young defense to get a three and out. The offense was the best thing going at that point. The defense was getting stops because State went conservative. Then you burn a T.O. to punt the ball. Kelly has been out coached in every big game outside of the Sooner win. Which Oklahoma was not good that year.

Status quo.
'get used to it'

You forgot to mention "unregistered hand gun" - otherwise good post

And I agree - Kelly's cycle of under achieving and presenting excuses (rather than 'results') will indeed continue for 5 more seasons (after the current season).

I was a Cubs fan for 25 yrs ,gave up on them about 20 yrs ago. Been an ND fan just as long. The Cubbies will win the world series before ND wins a natty. Gezz . never thought I'd say that. ND is taking us fans for granted. As long as ND is taking in the cash nothing's going to change. Feel the same about my Bears. Must be fun being a Bama or OSU fan these days. ND IS laughing all the way to the bank. If BK wants to win he either leaves ND or finds a way a way to change admissions. Which will happen. Ha ha. I took a bad fall this morning and am hurting so I'm in no mood to take any crap

You can't be serious!

Reactions: Bodizephax
Kelly calls at least 75% of the plays. For anyone to say the offense is fine, has no clue what a good offense looks like. Let's just look at the last game ND played. One of the worst 1st halfs a team could possibly play. No balance what's so ever. Every play was predictable. Why in the world did Kelly not abuse the State secondary in the 1st half? Then you punt the ball at the end. No way do you punt the ball and expect the young defense to get a three and out. The offense was the best thing going at that point. The defense was getting stops because State went conservative. Then you burn a T.O. to punt the ball. Kelly has been out coached in every big game outside of the Sooner win. Which Oklahoma was not good that year.
Kelly hasn't called the plays in 2 years. Get a clue.

He stopped calling plays after the 2014 season. You are a dope.

So when they show Kelly calling plays on the sideline, is he just holding the play's in his hand because he needs something to fan himself? I know he is on the hot seat but come on.

He stopped calling plays after the 2014 season. You are a dope.
From a press conference on 9-1-15 Kelly says this...
“I know you guys want more,” Kelly said to the media when pressed for the mechanics of how the collaboration is designed to work. “I'm just not going to give you much more than all three of us are collaborating. How it comes out to the signaller, we're all in unison as to how we want the game to unfold. http://m.ndinsider.com/football/not...cle_e784c112-50e2-11e5-9520-27009ac4820b.html

So when they show Kelly calling plays on the sideline, is he just holding the play's in his hand because he needs something to fan himself? I know he is on the hot seat but come on.
He has the playsheet in his hands but he doesn't call the plays. He has input and can override any plays( like any other head coach) but Denbrock has called the plays starting in 2015 with input from Sanford.

He has the playsheet in his hands but he doesn't call the plays. He has input and can override any plays( like any other head coach) but Denbrock has called the plays starting in 2015 with input from Sanford.

So who's bright idea was it to #1 play both QB's against Texas? #2 Who's absolute ridiculous idea was it to start MZ in the second half? DK accounted for how many TD's in the first half? MZ accounted for how many yards in the first half? That was all Kelly. As bad as the defense looked that game, if DK played every down ND at least beats Texas.

So who's bright idea was it to #1 play both QB's against Texas? #2 Who's absolute ridiculous idea was it to start MZ in the second half? DK accounted for how many TD's in the first half? MZ accounted for how many yards in the first half? That was all Kelly. As bad as the defense looked that game, if DK played every down ND at least beats Texas.
So you admit that Coach Kelly doesn't call the plays? That is what you are saying. I will take that as a yes.
Coach Kelly is ultimately accountable for all facets of the team.
Do you blame Coach Kelly for Cole Luke playing awful last Saturday night? I don't. He was bad in coverage and tackled like Ray Charles.

Last edited:
Purse has had 251 posts since last week when we all celebrated his 27,000 post. I guess we will have to celebrate his 28,000 post in a few weeks.
But if we win his posts go way down--so who knows.
Maybe he will drool his oatmeal on the keyboard and we can get a reprieve.

So you admit that Coach Kelly doesn't call the plays? That is what you are saying. I will take that as a yes.
Coach Kelly is ultimately accountable for all facets of the team.
Do you blame Coach Kelly for Cole Luke playing awful last Saturday night? I don't. He was bad in coverage and tackled like Ray Charles.

Brian Kelly calls the offense period. Unless you can show me where Kelly says he does not call any play's. Your opinion means nothing in this debate if you cannot back it up with facts. So, are you saying ND lost at home to State because of Cole Luke??? The offensive game plan and game plan in the first half is the reason ND lost the game. ND is 1-2 because of Kelly. He recruited every single guy on the team. He hired every staff member on the team. ND is even ranked in the top 25! Can you honestly say ND does not have the talent of at least a top 25 team?

Brian Kelly calls the offense period. Unless you can show me where Kelly says he does not call any play's. Your opinion means nothing in this debate if you cannot back it up with facts. So, are you saying ND lost at home to State because of Cole Luke??? The offensive game plan and game plan in the first half is the reason ND lost the game. ND is 1-2 because of Kelly. He recruited every single guy on the team. He hired every staff member on the team. ND is even ranked in the top 25! Can you honestly say ND does not have the talent of at least a top 25 team?
So you admit that Kelly doesn't call the plays. Post less and read more.

You have zero facts to back up what you are saying. For the last time, Kelly calls the plays.
The article you posted earlier on this subject is old. Kelly admitted during the summer that Denbrock called all the plays last year. Here's a link to the article:

http://www.ndinsider.com/football/a...cle_f0cd95b0-4262-11e6-9743-4f2ed6f44a6e.html

Here's the pertinent excerpt:

Q: Play-calling last year was framed as a collaboration of sorts between you, Denbrock and offensive coordinator/ quarterbacks coach Mike Sanford. Is Mike Denbrock actually the one calling the offensive plays?

BK: “He was intimately involved in what was going on offensively. And so you have to understand the way I wanted it set up this year. We pretty much had openers, down-and-distance calls that Mike Denbrock and Mike Sanford shared during the week.

“In other words, they crafted and scripted the offense together. I would get asked all the time, ‘Who’s calling the plays?’ They’re really talking on every play.

“And I put Mike Sanford in the box, up top, because he could be the eyes for Mike Denbrock on every down. And they shared in that responsibility. But in actuality giving the play out, Mike Denbrock was giving every single play out.

“Yet if you took Sanford out of the mix, it would be a different dynamic. And if you took Denbrock out of the mix, it would be a different dynamic. I couldn’t tell you who would be calling the plays if they weren’t working together.

“There has to be both of those guys working together, but Mike Denbrock was physically calling the plays.”​

but, who has the last say? according to Kelly it is him. It does not matter if one guy or the other conceptualizes the play if they then do not have the authority to send that play in. Kelly has that authority to thumbs up or thumbs down the play. This is according to Kelly when originally asked the question.
The responsibility for obfuscating the process is Kelly also. And it is so by design. But he has no place to pass the buck! The punt? You really think that came from anyone other than Kelly? The timeout?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT