ADVERTISEMENT

Official 2023 Schedule Released

Get Nasty

I've posted how many times?
Jul 26, 2006
This is why i get disappointed with Jack

Fully expected us to have a week 3 bye and week 9 bye so we can regroup after the long trip and time in Dublin. Instead we play out the gates 8 weeks in a row. Then have 2 byes close together to end the season.

• Wow
Reactions: tbonesays
A week 3 bye would make sense, actually so would week 2 after flying home from Dublin....the week 9 bye likely coincides with fall break so that is okay....the one on November 11th makes zero sense...shows you how little power ND has with it's ACC scheduling as they should have had this the week before the Clemson game.

At least Ohio State is also playing the week before the ND game.

Potentially 5 top 25 teams in 8 weeks. 2 on the road between Ohio and SC with no rest time.

The downside to being independent (somewhat)
My understanding was that ND picks the dates and the ACC supplies the teams. No one has written about in what order the schedule gets arranged. Are we thinking that the ACC told us what dates we could have a bye week? Isn't that NBC's call at worst?

Yeah, the bye weeks are odd. Teams play 8 games before their bye all the time, but it's strange to do that when you have 2 byes to work with. And both of those byes come the week before we play an ACC team, so I don't think this was about the ACC trying to get a competitive advantage.

Maybe the admin is really going out of its way to avoid late season home games with attendance slipping?

My understanding was that ND picks the dates and the ACC supplies the teams. No one has written about in what order the schedule gets arranged. Are we thinking that the ACC told us what dates we could have a bye week? Isn't that NBC's call at worst?
Not sure on that. I have been told it’s a reiterative process, which makes sense to me. I do know that some games were changed because, as an example, in prior schedules, the WF game was intended for 10/28, which is now Pitt. Some domino effect occurs I’m sure

That could be a consideration for sure

Because, as we all know, Notre Dame calls all the shots. You probably think we can dictate the scores, too.
By looking at our schedule every year you’d think nd calls no shots….. why does Stanford or usc never play us at nd last game of the year? Having to end your season every year on the road for thanksgiving sucks.

Every year a significant number of teams have byes before playing nd, on average probably 5 or 6.

By looking at our schedule every year you’d think nd calls no shots….. why does Stanford or usc never play us at nd last game of the year? Having to end your season every year on the road for thanksgiving sucks.

Every year a significant number of teams have byes before playing nd, on average probably 5 or 6.

That's one of the scheduling quirks used against them for not being a full conference member of the ACC.

One reason for the Stanford/USC situation is that ND has for years tried to schedule a warm weather game for its last game of the season. For years, it was Miami or USC. Miami never played at ND in November that I'm aware of.

As to how our schedule falls into place, I can't believe that you are so naive as to think that ND calls all the shots. Over the past 25 years, the balance of power has shifted significantly. Some of you guys actually think ND is doing the ACC a favor by agreeing to play a partial football schedule in their conference. It's the opposite.

This whole debate reminds me of the Bowl Championship Series era when they renegotiated the payouts. ND had been getting a payout equal to what the major conferences were receiving. Kevin White was the AD at the time, and the ND payout went from like $8 million to $3 million, and people on this board were acting like White had gone in and given away the farm when in reality, the negotiations probably went like this: "ND, you have been getting $8 million, how does $500,000 sound?" "We think we deserve $5 million." "No, sorry. We'll give you a million for qualifying and $3 million if you play in the championship. All in favor?... That's 120 ayes. All opposed? That's one. The motion passes."

Last edited:
One reason for the Stanford/USC situation is that ND has for years tried to schedule a warm weather game for its last game of the season. For years, it was Miami or USC. Miami never played at ND in November that I'm aware of.

This is exactly right. ND's thinking is that it is a reward for the players to have a game at a warm weather site at the conclusion of the season.

Reactions: BGI User 756
This is exactly right. ND's thinking is that it is a reward for the players to have a game at a warm weather site at the conclusion of the season.
As I look at the schedule in recent years, it seems to me that we're going even farther and trying to have only one home game in the final 4 weeks of the season. Fans love to talk about snow games, but very few people are interested in actually attending one!

As I look at the schedule in recent years, it seems to me that we're going even farther and trying to have only one home game in the final 4 weeks of the season. Fans love to talk about snow games, but very few people are interested in actually attending one!

I have attended far too many games played in snow and cold weather. Now when it gets like that, I just watch in the comfort of my own home.

I have attended far too many games played in snow and cold weather. Now when it gets like that, I just watch in the comfort of my own home.
Yeah, watching a football game from the stands when the temperature is in the 20s and your feet are surrounded by about six inches of snow is overrated.

Some of the history of this weekend - . First, it was done to reward the players by ending season in warm weather. Before Stanford it was Miami, Florida on the non USC years. Second, it was helpful for recruiting those areas. Third, have you ever been on campus over Thanksgiving? Not many students stay. And it’s cold as hell usually. Last, Thanksgiving also impacts some of the subway alumni, same as students.

As to how our schedule falls into place, I can't believe that you are so naive as to think that ND calls all the shots. Over the past 25 years, the balance of power has shifted significantly. Some of you guys actually think ND is doing the ACC a favor by agreeing to play a partial football schedule in their conference. It's the opposite.

This whole debate reminds me of the Bowl Championship Series era when they renegotiated the payouts. ND had been getting a payout equal to what the major conferences were receiving. Kevin White was the AD at the time, and the ND payout went from like $8 million to $3 million, and people on this board were acting like White had gone in and given away the farm when in reality, the negotiations probably went like this: "ND, you have been getting $8 million, how does $500,000 sound?" "We think we deserve $5 million." "No, sorry. We'll give you a million for qualifying and $3 million if you play in the championship. All in favor?... That's 120 ayes. All opposed? That's one. The motion passes."
And as part of the renegotiation the BCS paid ND to not make a BCS bowl. In the original deal ND was paid nothing for doing nothing.

And as part of the renegotiation the BCS paid ND to not make a BCS bowl. In the original deal ND was paid nothing for doing nothing.
I don't remember any of the details, but I know it was complicated, and I remember some of our resident know-it-alls claiming that White unilaterally agreed to take less money when it was out in the public that the conferences did not think it was fair that ND was treated like a conference of one.

Some of the history of this weekend - . First, it was done to reward the players by ending season in warm weather. Before Stanford it was Miami, Florida on the non USC years. Second, it was helpful for recruiting those areas. Third, have you ever been on campus over Thanksgiving? Not many students stay. And it’s cold as hell usually. Last, Thanksgiving also impacts some of the subway alumni, same as students.
And I think the notion of rewarding the players with a warm weather game extends back to the long stretch during which ND did not accept bowl bids.

Reactions: tbonesays
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT