ADVERTISEMENT

OC Long & staff had a lousy game plan.

BGI User 348

I've posted how many times?
Aug 29, 2003
Pennsylvania
There was no question that ND needed a gameplan that would put ALOT of points on the board....and we did not. The defense gave up big plays but just on their first quarter stops alone that was enough to give our offense a chance. I expected to be "WOWED" by the gameplan and was NOT. It was like Chip Long took the entire month off and put that plan together on the bus ride over. Terrible. Way below expectations. GET BETTER!!!

No... He has a quarterback that can't throw downfield like the 5 star future first rounder Clemson has and he has wide receivers that are top slow and can't make the contested downfield catches that Clemson has... ayou need those things against elite defenses because you can't continually drive on them. At some point you have to throw the ball over their heads because they lock you down in the redzone... And he faced a defense that outclassed him at every position, 1 through 11... Andy Reid couldn't have scored 20+ points on the Clemson defense with the talent ND field, the poor throws Ian Book made and the bad drops by the ND wide receivers.

There was no question that ND needed a gameplan that would put ALOT of points on the board....and we did not. The defense gave up big plays but just on their first quarter stops alone that was enough to give our offense a chance. I expected to be "WOWED" by the gameplan and was NOT. It was like Chip Long took the entire month off and put that plan together on the bus ride over. Terrible. Way below expectations. GET BETTER!!!
ND needed a gameplan
They sure did, it was obvious after the first ten minutes that the strength of this team, Book going quick over the middle and sides for 10-15 yard passes, was not going to be used to set up the running game. Even my son, an N.D grad, said, "We are doomed" after the first quarter. On defense ,during the first two Clemson possessions the N.D. defense blitzed frequently with good success,after that very infrequent blitzes,why?
Poor game plan was first and foremost for the blowout, Clemson was a better team but N.D. was a lot better than they showed.

ND needed a gameplan
They sure did, it was obvious after the first ten minutes that the strength of this team, Book going quick over the middle and sides for 10-15 yard passes, was not going to be used to set up the running game. Even my son, an N.D grad, said, "We are doomed" after the first quarter. On defense ,during the first two Clemson possessions the N.D. defense blitzed frequently with good success,after that very infrequent blitzes,why?
Poor game plan was first and foremost for the blowout, Clemson was a better team but N.D. was a lot better than they showed.

Did they stop blitzing when Love went out? If so, it seems counter-intuitive because you'd think pressure would make it easier for a substitute DB.

And for what it's worth, the last TD against Vaughn was a tremendous catch after he appeared to have broken up the pass.

No... He has a quarterback that can't throw downfield like the 5 star future first rounder Clemson has and he has wide receivers that are top slow and can't make the contested downfield catches that Clemson has... ayou need those things against elite defenses because you can't continually drive on them. At some point you have to throw the ball over their heads because they lock you down in the redzone... And he faced a defense that outclassed him at every position, 1 through 11... Andy Reid couldn't have scored 20+ points on the Clemson defense with the talent ND field, the poor throws Ian Book made and the bad drops by the ND wide receivers.

IIO

Baloney !

In order to throw downfield you have to have TIME and Book didn’t have any time.

From the beginning I said that the OLine was the weak link and that in order to win they had to be incredibly efficient.

I also felt that every break went Clemson’s way.

ND was 12-0 and deserved a playoff berth.

For the second time I felt that they weren’t properly prepared, that the game plan was lacking and that adjustments weren’t made as the game progressed

IIO

Baloney !

In order to throw downfield you have to have TIME and Book didn’t have any time.

From the beginning I said that the OLine was the weak link and that in order to win they had to be incredibly efficient.

I also felt that every break went Clemson’s way.

ND was 12-0 and deserved a playoff berth.

For the second time I felt that they weren’t properly prepared, that the game plan was lacking and that adjustments weren’t made as the game progressed
I'm pretty much going to agree with your comments. This was all on BK and his staff and for him to say that they have to do a better job coaching is falling on deaf ears.

if we had more speed on the outside he doesn't need as much time to throw. Book had happy feet all night even when he had time to pass. Looked totally uncomfortable all night

I'm pretty much going to agree with your comments. This was all on BK and his staff and for him to say that they have to do a better job coaching is falling on deaf ears.

Their offensive line coach is terrible. That's a start. I've been saying it for 4 months.

It sure helps if the players run, block, pass and catch a whole lot better than they did in this game. Its too bad that a great season had to end like it did.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT