ADVERTISEMENT

O-line goes for seniority

greengael

Rockne's Water Boy
Jan 26, 2007
No real surprise here. I really liked what little I saw from Hoge but the bright lights and a savvy d-line can confuse a young guard in his first playing time. Look for him to get a considerable amount of playing time as the season progresses. Not just because of injuries.

I like that ND can go 7-8, and if needed, possibly 10 deep on the O-Line -- this is depth that we have not seen in years.
oh yeah. watch out for young mr. kraemer at guard. he's gonna push for that right guard spot.

oh yeah. watch out for young mr. kraemer at guard. he's gonna push for that right guard spot.
I know Kelly loves to tout the Frosh but if you don't have to don't play Frosh on the o-line and never ever bet on the white guy in a heavyweight prize fight! By the way Echo if the Good sisters ,Holy as they were, saw your post with no punctuation and Capitalization they'd be crackin' your knuckles with a ruler![smile]

I know Kelly loves to tout the Frosh but if you don't have to don't play Frosh on the o-line and never ever bet on the white guy in a heavyweight prize fight! By the way Echo if the Good sisters ,Holy as they were, saw your post with no punctuation and Capitalization they'd be crackin' your knuckles with a ruler![smile]
Think about your statement in context of who has dominated the heavyweight championship over the past ten years!

Think about your statement in context of who has dominated the heavyweight championship over the past ten years!
Sorry Telx haven't followed it for about twenty years. The last two I remember is The guy who had his ear bitten by Tattoo face and the Guy who made his real money selling Hamburger grills. Have I missed something?[smile] Go back about fifty years and it does hold true, No?

Sorry Telx haven't followed it for about twenty years. The last two I remember is The guy who had his ear bitten by Tattoo face and the Guy who made his real money selling Hamburger grills. Have I missed something?[smile] Go back about fifty years and it does hold true, No?
Yes, but you don't have to go that far back! It is amazing that a Brit holds three of the so called Heavy weight crowns, and before that, I think Russians have dominated. The sport has changed a ton since the likes of Ali.

Reactions: greengael
Yes, but you don't have to go that far back! It is amazing that a Brit holds three of the so called Heavy weight crowns, and before that, I think Russians have dominated. The sport has changed a ton since the likes of Ali.
Yeah I looked it up Thanks You learn something new every day, ...If you pay attention![smile]

Any news on Parker Boudreaux from camp? I have a felling this kid when given a shot it gonna roll up some pancakes over his career.

Aside from his Meningitis hospitalization, the sketchy reports on Rookie o-linemen not named Kraemer are that they are doing well, as expected with the talent they bring to the team.

Reactions: IowaIrish1
What is the actual news? Who is starting on the OL??
Reading left to right, McGlinchey,Nelson, Mustipher, McGovern and Barrs, I didn't check the spelling. It looks like Bivin is next man in at tackle and Hoge is the next in at center or guard both. Additionally fifth year man Mark Harrell is a swing man for every position on the line and is capable at all of them. Depth is abundant barring an apocalypse of injuries. .Montelus is also back on O at second team right tackle.

Last edited:

I'm from Philly Tex -- Joe Frazier please . Only fighter to actually knock Ali's head off

If it weren't for Joe Frazier Sylvester Stallone would have been a maitre d at Cous' Little Italy

Rocky - Frazier same -- smokin joe frazier !!!

I'm from Philly Tex -- Joe Frazier please . Only fighter to actually knock Ali's head off

If it weren't for Joe Frazier Sylvester Stallone would have been a maitre d at Cous' Little Italy

Wrong, it was The Bayonne Bleeder , Chuck Wepner look it up

Wrong, it was The Bayonne Bleeder , Chuck Wepner look it up
Wepner it was, but absolutely loved the fight in smoking Joe. His three fights with Ali were epic. I remember thinking the third fight was going to be a farce between two aging fighters, and they put on an incredible show...both had hearts of lions.

McGovern will likely have the shortest leash of those starting 5. I was a little bummed that Bivin didn't win the RG job, but I guess the staff thought his value as the backup tackle was more important. I would have rather played him at RG and then move him to Tackle if needed. I suspect Bivin just didn't move as quickly/explosive as McGovern and Hoge did, which prompted the move back to strictly tackle. But what the hell do I know? I'm not the O-Line coach at ND.

Wepner it was, but absolutely loved the fight in smoking Joe. His three fights with Ali were epic. I remember thinking the third fight was going to be a farce between two aging fighters, and they put on an incredible show...both had hearts of lions.

Tex I luv ya man but without the backdrop of the Ali Frazier rivalry Rocky would have been a grade b farce actually the last three were a farce

Yeah I'm not Harry either, but I would start the senior in an opener that is going to be this intense and have national t.v on Sunday night and the only game being played. That might be a little much to handle for a nineteen year old in his first start! If he were a d-lineman it might be different. "See ball ,hit ball"[smile]

How are Jimmy Byrne and Liam Eichenberg doing?

Thanks!
My impression is that Byrne is somewhat stuck in a logjam behind some really fine players, and Eichenberg is extremely talented but will most likely redshirt to acquire the requisite mass and strength for the D1 o-line.

You have no idea what you are talking about. Stallone based that movie on Wepner. Basically stole his entire life for the movie and had to pay up in court when he got sued.

Yeah I'm not Harry either, but I would start the senior in an opener that is going to be this intense and have national t.v on Sunday night and the only game being played. That might be a little much to handle for a nineteen year old in his first start! If he were a d-lineman it might be different. "See ball ,hit ball"[smile]
I don't worry about the O-Line because Harry is there and Kelly can't screw it up.

Damn it's nice to have these kind of discussions due to a consistent influx of young talent challenging the more senior talent! Harry has been a phenomenal recruiter, but he needs to land one more elite player this year to keep this train rolling. Great talented depth and building.

As Lou always said: it all starts with the offensive line. These guys are big, athletic, smart and well-coached (and the line is deep). We hadn't had that at ND for a long, long time. Hell, if Nick Martin hadn't gone down that would be three recent (two years) ND lineman starting in the NFL. Pretty good, right? And a good recruiting tool, too. (And even if you decide to hang 'em up like Elmer you've got an ND degree an a 300K starting job on wall street.)

Reactions: Telx1
As Lou always said: it all starts with the offensive line. These guys are big, athletic, smart and well-coached (and the line is deep). We hadn't had that at ND for a long, long time. Hell, if Nick Martin hadn't gone down that would be three recent (two years) ND lineman starting in the NFL. Pretty good, right? And a good recruiting tool, too. (And even if you decide to hang 'em up like Elmer you've got an ND degree an a 300K starting job on wall street.)
Agree with everything you said but a ND degree does not guarantee anything in this economy.

Agree with everything you said but a ND degree does not guarantee anything in this economy.
A Notre Dame degree and being a past player puts you to the front of the line. As long as you aren't a complete asshole or prone to doing stupid shit, you will find a good job through networking.

It will be nice to have strong reserves to give a break to the starters, if needed, due to Texas heat and humidity.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT